Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2019, 4:02 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
On a side note, I thought Cal Air was strictly charter. Wasn't it affiliated with B-Cal in some way? Did it also have scheduled flights?
Not that I am aware, although that often did not prevent carriers finding unofficial ways of selling spare seats.

The Cal-Air operation was one of those that changed name every couple of years. Quite late in Laker Airways history, a couple of new DC-10-10 whose original buyer had fallen through were taken by Laker and fully contracted to Rank, one of the major UK holiday companies for Mediterranean and similar work. When Laker went under the holiday company very rapidly arranged for them to be taken over by British Caledonian, they carried on as before under this new brand and all the B Cal style, but they were a separate company, equally owned by B Cal and Rank. I took them in what I guess was 1985 from Gatwick to Faro (where separately a highlight was finding a Lockheed L-1049 Constellation operating as a cocktail bar in the airport car park
), and it was a full British Caley experience, but they were gradually pushed away, every year bit by bit, first emboldened as B Cal Charter, then Cal-Air, then the B Cal livery was abandoned for a red stripe one. Finally B Cal were merged into BA, who already had a holiday carrier so they were fully sold to Rank, renamed yet again to Novair, and ran on for a few more years until Rank gave up.

They were an early operator of UK holiday flights to Florida, and being shorter range DC-10s were one of the carriers who ran through Bangor ME to the various points, much as laker had done. I believe most of the crews were ex-Laker as well.
Seat 2A likes this.

Last edited by WHBM; Feb 17, 2019 at 6:27 pm
Old Feb 17, 2019, 4:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
8. Back in early 1994, if you wanted to fly between the New York City metropolitan area and Chicago’s Midway Airport, three airlines offered nonstop flights. Two operated from Newark while one operated out of LaGuardia. Each airline operated a different type of equipment on this route. Identify the three airlines and the equipment each operated on the NYC-MDW route.

Kiwi International Air Lines, Boeing 727-200 Correct!
Midway Airlines, Fokker 100 to LGA Correct!

American Trans, Boeing 757-200 MDW-EWR

An excellent guess, T - If I didn't know better I'd be thinking along the same lines. But No - we're still looking for a different airline operating a different aircraft type. Carry on!
This is going to be tough, maybe I cannot answer it.

USAir, DC-9 MDW-EWR.

I am straining my brain....Southwest, Vanguard, AirTran, TWA....no, no, no, no.... It's not the end, though.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 1:25 am

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
My personal shortest widebody flight was aboard an Eastern A300 between Miami and Ft. Lauderdale - a distance of about 22 miles.
I actually flew on this flight back in the late 70's after returning from New York, but it was on an L-1011. The route was JFK-FLL-MIA, and I was an unaccompanied minor along with my younger brother. We lived halfway between both airports in Miramar, FL at the time. My parents drove down to MIA to pick us up, not knowing the flight stopped in FLL. We could have been home about 1.5 hours earlier if they had picked us up at FLL. This was the first time I flew First Class as there were only 5 passengers on the flight, and we were moved up so the lead FA could watch us.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 2:47 am

32. From your home on Isle of Man, you’ll be travelling down to London on business and then continuing on to the city of Leeds, way up in County Yorkshire, where you’ll spend the weekend with your dear old uncle. Two airlines will be involved, one for the nonstop to London Heathrow and the other for the nonstop up to Leeds. One airline operates propeller equipment only while the other operates both props and jets. You will be flying upon the only aircraft type common to both airlines. So then, identify each airline and the common equipment you’ll be flying upon.
How about...

Manx Airlines (JE) Isle of Man > London Heathrow
British Midland (BD) LHR > Leeds

with both flights on a Vickers Viscount
Old Feb 18, 2019, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)

7. Back in early 1994, you could fly aboard what was possibly the first scheduled westbound nonstop transcon flight operated with a variant of the Boeing 737. Identify the route, the airline and the variant of 737 utilized.
The airline was not United and SFO was not involved

8. Back in early 1994, if you wanted to fly between the New York City metropolitan area and Chicago’s Midway Airport, three airlines offered nonstop flights. Two operated from Newark while one operated out of LaGuardia. Each airline operated a different type of equipment on this route. Identify the three airlines and the equipment each operated on the NYC-MDW route.
Midway and Kiwi International have been identified. We need just one more airline and aircraft
7. I believe USAir was operating a hub at Baltimore at this time. So let's go with BWI on the east coast. On the west coast, the logical airport was most likely LAX. And the aircraft type would have been the Boeing 737-300.

8. I recall that when MarkAir reinvented itself as a low fare air carrier, it expanded its service in the lower 48 states and served Midway Airport in Chicago as well as the New York City area. I will guess that MarkAir was serving Newark Airport in the NYC area at this time. So the routing would have been EWR-MDW operated with a B737-400, probably in all-coach configuration.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by jlemon

I do not believe the 747 was ever operated in scheduled service into New Orleans....but I do know of at least one occasion where a KLM B747-400 diverted into MSY due to severe weather at IAH.
Did the Pan Am/Delta codeshare flight which ran London-Washington-Atlanta-New Orleans ever have the 747 go through to New Orleans ? The odd timetable I've seen has a Change Of Gauge at Atlanta (to a DC9 !), but given the through flight number did the 747 ever work through, maybe at the start. The DC8 used before the widebody changeover certainly worked right through.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 10:59 am

26. Over the years a number of airlines have offered direct service between Hawaii and London. Anybody remember BOAC VC10s plying the route via LAX and JFK? Of course you do! Now then, what was the airline du jour providing this service in late 1986? Where did the flight stop and what type of equipment did it use?
Air New Zealand with a 747-200 operating Auckland-Honolulu-Los Angeles-London.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by WHBM
Did the Pan Am/Delta codeshare flight which ran London-Washington-Atlanta-New Orleans ever have the 747 go through to New Orleans ? The odd timetable I've seen has a Change Of Gauge at Atlanta (to a DC9 !), but given the through flight number did the 747 ever work through, maybe at the start. The DC8 used before the widebody changeover certainly worked right through.
when I took PA/DL106 ATL-IAD in December 1972, the 747 originated in ATL (and as I was about to ride in F, I wasn’t paying attention to an inbound leg!) ... per the Mar 1973 timetable it indeed operated with a DC-8 MSY-ATL and the 747 onward

Last edited by jrl767; Feb 18, 2019 at 12:30 pm
Old Feb 18, 2019, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by WHBM
That possibility occurred to me as well. In fact, I researched it extensively. However, I could find no evidence concerning Delta operating 747 service into New Orleans and that when the DL/PA DC8 interchange service went away, passengers originating in MSY then had to connect to the DL/PA 747 interchange service via ATL and vice versa.

At least, that's the conclusion I came to.....and I would love to see any information that supports scheduled 747 service into New Orleans.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl767
9. After having been upgraded to First Class aboard an oversold Eastern L-1011 back in the eighties, Jim’s had a hard time sitting in Economy Class on airplanes that also have a First Class cabin. He just can’t get past the memories of his fantastic experience and the fact that he’s not only up not up there to enjoy it again, but that on his pension as a custodial technician for the East Orange School District, he likely never will be. As such, Jim prefers to fly upon airlines that don’t offer First Class. Fortunately, the route between New York and Ft. Lauderdale features two airlines that operate their jets in an all-economy configuration. Identify both airlines and the equipment each operates.
Carnival has been identified

I’ll downsize Carnival to a 737-300 ... I remember ValuJet with a mini-hub at Dulles; perhaps they had a couple of round-robin DC-9-30 trips to/from FLL that passed thru EWR in one or the other direction

Truth be told, J - you'll want to upgrade that aircraft type on Carnival. It was not a member of the 737 family. The other airline was not Valujet, but it did operate the same aircraft as its competitor in this question.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by Toshbaf

Kiwi International Air Lines, Boeing 727-200 Correct!
Midway Airlines, Fokker 100 to LGA Correct!
American Trans, Boeing 757-200 MDW-EWR Incorrect!

This is going to be tough, maybe I cannot answer it. I am straining my brain....Southwest, Vanguard, AirTran, TWA....no, no, no, no.... It's not the end, though... USAir, DC-9 MDW-EWR.

You're right, T - this is a tough one. It's not US Air and the aircraft of record was not built in California. That said, I am confident your persistence will eventually pay off. Keep the faith and go get me that other airline! ^.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
9- upgauge the KW jet? wow ... the only larger type I recall them operating was the Airbus A300

as for a single-class D9S operator, I’m completely at a loss to remember if USAir had F cabins on those birds, but hey, nothing ventured ...
Old Feb 18, 2019, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by teddybear99
I actually flew on this flight back in the late 70's after returning from New York, but it was on an L-1011. The route was JFK-FLL-MIA, and I was an unaccompanied minor along with my younger brother. We lived halfway between both airports in Miramar, FL at the time. My parents drove down to MIA to pick us up, not knowing the flight stopped in FLL. We could have been home about 1.5 hours earlier if they had picked us up at FLL. This was the first time I flew First Class as there were only 5 passengers on the flight, and we were moved up so the lead FA could watch us.
Lucky you! Those big First Class seats on Eastern's L-1011s must've been deep and wide enough to have practically swallowed you up. I was down in nearby Pembroke Pines seeing the Grateful Dead play in 1977. Flew out of FLL aboard a Delta DC-8-61... I still drive the Sawgrass Parkway every time I need to get from FLL down to visit friends in Homestead
Old Feb 18, 2019, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KT550
32. From your home on Isle of Man, you’ll be travelling down to London on business and then continuing on to the city of Leeds, way up in County Yorkshire, where you’ll spend the weekend with your dear old uncle. Two airlines will be involved, one for the nonstop to London Heathrow and the other for the nonstop up to Leeds. One airline operates propeller equipment only while the other operates both props and jets. You will be flying upon the only aircraft type common to both airlines. So then, identify each airline and the common equipment you’ll be flying upon.

How about...

Manx Airlines (JE) Isle of Man > London Heathrow
British Midland (BD) LHR > Leeds

with both flights on a Vickers Viscount

Excellent recall there, KT! Manx and British Midland operating Viscounts are both correct. ^^
Old Feb 18, 2019, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jlemon
7. Back in early 1994, you could fly aboard what was possibly the first scheduled westbound nonstop transcon flight operated with a variant of the Boeing 737. Identify the route, the airline and the variant of 737 utilized.
The airline was not United and SFO was not involved

I believe USAir was operating a hub at Baltimore at this time. So let's go with BWI on the east coast. On the west coast, the logical airport was most likely LAX. And the aircraft type would have been the Boeing 737-300.

Correct! Also, the schedule shows USAir operating a 737-300 eastbound only from SFO to BWI. Here's the westbound BWI-LAX flight:

US Air US 1977 Baltimore (BWI) 1220p-317p Los Angeles (LAX) Boeing 737-300 Lunch Daily X Sat

Midway and Kiwi International have been identified. We need just one more airline and aircraft

I recall that when MarkAir reinvented itself as a low fare air carrier, it expanded its service in the lower 48 states and served Midway Airport in Chicago as well as the New York City area. I will guess that MarkAir was serving Newark Airport in the NYC area at this time. So the routing would have been EWR-MDW operated with a B737-400, probably in all-coach configuration.

Way to sweep in for the rebound, JL! Markair it was, operating an all-coach 737-400. Later in its short lived foray into mainland US routes, Markair offered a First Class cabin. Did anyone here ever fly First Class on Markair?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.