Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2019, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
16. Business calls in Spokane, Washington. From your base in San Diego, that’s likely going to involve a connection somewhere. But no! Much to your surprise, there’s a daily 2-stop direct flight departing San Diego’s Lindbergh Field each morning. Identify the usual trio of indicators for this flight.
16- the absence of a reference to First Class leads me to think this was a PSA MD-80 stopping at San Francisco (SFO) and Seattle (SEA)

24. What a fun week it’s been in Cancun! Maybe you’ll retire here someday. But for now, you must return to the world of stocks and bonds as a trader on New York’s Wall Street. Lots of airlines offer direct flights between Cancun and New York but only one serves New York’s LaGuardia Airport, conveniently located just three miles from your home in Astoria, Queens. It’s a daily service with First Class seats available. Identify the air carrier, the enroute stop and the equipment.
It's not Northwest, nor an A320. It's not Continental, nor any variant of a 737. United is also out, but the 727-200 is the correct aircraft.
24- with EA also being ruled out, it seems like we are down to Delta, which would strongly imply service via Atlanta (ATL)

27. Years ago, if you wanted to fly from Las Vegas to Wichita, Kansas, there were a couple of well timed TWA flights serving the route. Alas, these days the only direct option is a one-stop redeye. Still, you don’t like making connections and so you book yourself a seat. Identify the airline, the enroute stop and the aircraft type.
27- redeye departures from LAS immediately make me think of America West ... the stop would most likely have been at a city within ~30-45 minutes block time of ICT, say Tulsa (TUL) or Oklahoma City (OKC), and the equipment would have been a 737 (I'll randomly say a -300)
Old Feb 11, 2019, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by Toshbaf
4. You’re off to Belize City for a week of diving at Roatan. Life could hardly get any better but it does when you’re informed that the flight taking you from Miami down to Belize City is operated with widebody equipment. What airline will you be flying on and what is the equipment?
It's not Eastern. Nor is it an A300. Nor is it Pan Am with an A310. It's also not Rich International, nor is it an L-1011

TACA, Boeing 767-200. If this is correct, it would be a slight oddity as TACA is an airline of El Salvador, not Belize (since renamed Avianca El Salvador).

Good call, Toshbaf! TACA it was, and while TACA (Transportes Aereos del Continente Americano) (Take A Chance Airlines) may have been based out of El Salvador, they were really more of a regional airline serving El Salvador, Guatemala, Belize and Honduras. Being as this was late 1986, the aircraft would likely have been N767TA which incurred damages beyond those covered by warranty in a crash at Guatemala City in 1993. Here's the schedule from 1986:

TACA TA 311 Miami (MIA) 220p-320p Belize City (BZE) Boeing 767-200 Daily X Sa Su
Old Feb 11, 2019, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl767
16. Business calls in Spokane, Washington. From your base in San Diego, that’s likely going to involve a connection somewhere. But no! Much to your surprise, there’s a daily 2-stop direct flight departing San Diego’s Lindbergh Field each morning. Identify the usual trio of indicators for this flight.

The absence of a reference to First Class leads me to think this was a PSA MD-80 stopping at San Francisco (SFO) and Seattle (SEA)

PSA would've been my first thought as well. But no! We're looking for another airline - one that never operated MD-80s...

24. What a fun week it’s been in Cancun! Maybe you’ll retire here someday. But for now, you must return to the world of stocks and bonds as a trader on New York’s Wall Street. Lots of airlines offer direct flights between Cancun and New York but only one serves New York’s LaGuardia Airport, conveniently located just three miles from your home in Astoria, Queens. It’s a daily service with First Class seats available. Identify the air carrier, the enroute stop and the equipment.
It's not Northwest, nor an A320. It's not Continental, nor any variant of a 737. United is also out, but the 727-200 is the correct aircraft.

With EA also being ruled out, it seems like we are down to Delta, which would strongly imply service via Atlanta (ATL)

Sounds good to me. But hey - what do I know? Turns out we're looking for yet another airline... one that made its single stop at an airport on the U.S. east coast...

27. Years ago, if you wanted to fly from Las Vegas to Wichita, Kansas, there were a couple of well timed TWA flights serving the route. Alas, these days the only direct option is a one-stop redeye. Still, you don’t like making connections and so you book yourself a seat. Identify the airline, the enroute stop and the aircraft type.

Redeye departures from LAS immediately make me think of America West ... the stop would most likely have been at a city within ~30-45 minutes block time of ICT, say Tulsa (TUL) or Oklahoma City (OKC), and the equipment would have been a 737 (I'll randomly say a -300)

You're right about those redeyes (yawn!) - and you're right about America West. I'll save us some time and acknowledge that the aircraft in question was a 737-200. However, the enroute stop remains a mystery as it was neither OKC or TUL. Please, guess again!
Old Feb 11, 2019, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Moving right along here...

The following quiz items have a time line of the winter of 1986....

2. Since Air Jamaica retired its DC-8s, the big four engine jetliner has been a rare sight at Montego Bay’s Sangster International Airport. These days MBJ is served by a single daily D8S and you’re about to board it! Which airline are you flying and where are you flying to?

3. You’re on Koror where it’s been a great week of diving and exploring submerged WWII ships. Now it’s time to return to Honolulu. Surprisingly, Air Mike only serves Honolulu via a connection in Guam. But wait! There’s another option – a 2-stop direct flight that just happens to be leaving Koror on Sunday afternoon. Identify the airline, aircraft and the two enroute stops.
It was not Air Nauru, but the second stop was on Majuro

7. The trip from Gibraltar to Palma went without incident and, after a couple of relaxing days enjoying the warm Mallorcan sun, it’s time to return to cold and rainy Manchester. From Palma one airline offers a single weekly flight back up to Manchester. Name the airline and the aircraft type you’ll be flying upon.

10. The Edinburgh Hogmanay (New Year’s Eve) celebrations are among the largest in the world and so you’ve decided to join the party and fly over to Edinburgh from your home in Amsterdam. You call KLM who politely informs you that they don’t fly from Amsterdam to Edinburgh. Thankfully, the res agent is kind enough to give you the name of the only airline that does. Identify that airline and the type of equipment it operates on its two almost daily nonstops.

The following quiz items have a time line of the spring of 1987....

It's not PSA, nor is it an MD80

18. Who’d have ever thought there one day be direct daily 1-stop service between St. Maarten and Detroit? Well there is now. Identify the airline, aircraft and intermediate stop.

19. Right on! The boss has finally given the green light for you to attend next week’s International Electronics Symposium being held this year in Minneapolis. A quick call to Northwest reveals that each of its three nonstops between Orange Country and MSP are completely sold out – even in First Class. Well dang! The prospect of driving the 405 up to LAX is never a pleasant one, so you’re thrilled to discover a single First Class seat available aboard a direct 2-stop flight out of SNA, arriving MSP the night before the show. Now if you can just find a hotel! In the meantime, identify the airline, aircraft and the two enroute stops.
A N S W E R E D

The following quiz items have a time line of the spring of 1991....

21. The recent commencement of a new 2-stop direct flight between Missoula and Chicago is great news since you have to fly back to the home office at least five times a year. At last! No more long layovers enroute. And better yet, you’ll be served a snack and a lunch enroute. Identify the airline, the two enroute stops in order and the aircraft type.

22. Identify the three airlines operating MD80s between airports on the US mainland and Aruba

23. It’s spring break and this year you’ll be taking the family from your home in Denver to St. Thomas in the Virgin Islands. You couldn’t be more pleased to discover that you can now fly direct from Denver to St. Thomas with just two enroute stops. And, thanks to your recent promotion and raise, you can take the family in First Class. What airline will you be flying on, what will be the two enroute stops and what type of airplane will it be?

A N S W E R E D

25. From Los Angeles (LAX), you can fly nonstop on a jet to three different Colorado ski areas. Each ski area is served by a different airline operating a different type of aircraft. Identify the three ski areas along with the airline and equipment that serves each one.
ASE via UAE with a BAe-146-100 and HDN via AA with a 727-200 have been identified.
Vail/Eagle has been identified. We need the airline/aircraft that served it from LAX.

The airline is America West with a 737-200. We're still looking for the enroute stop

Miscellaneous Questions

31. What was the first European airline to be awarded a 5-Star rating for its overall service from the international air transport rating organization, Skytrax? (Only 9 airlines currently enjoy this distinction)

35. When this airline commenced service to the U.S., it named the three aircraft it had purchased to serve the route (as well as other long distance routes, I’m sure) the Niña, the Pinta, and the Santa María after the boats used by Columbus on his famous voyage to the New World. Identify the airline and the aircraft type so named.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Feb 12, 2019 at 4:29 pm
Old Feb 11, 2019, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Wild guess of AA (given that it is a 727-200) via MIA
strickerj likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 8:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
4. You’re off to Belize City for a week of diving at Roatan. Life could hardly get any better but it does when you’re informed that the flight taking you from Miami down to Belize City is operated with widebody equipment. What airline will you be flying on and what is the equipment?
It's not Eastern. Nor is it an A300. Nor is it Pan Am with an A310. It's also not Rich International, nor is it an L-1011

TACA, Boeing 767-200. If this is correct, it would be a slight oddity as TACA is an airline of El Salvador, not Belize (since renamed Avianca El Salvador).

Good call, Toshbaf! TACA it was, and while TACA (Transportes Aereos del Continente Americano) (Take A Chance Airlines) may have been based out of El Salvador, they were really more of a regional airline serving El Salvador, Guatemala, Belize and Honduras. Being as this was late 1986, the aircraft would likely have been N767TA which incurred damages beyond those covered by warranty in a crash at Guatemala City in 1993. Here's the schedule from 1986:

TACA TA 311 Miami (MIA) 220p-320p Belize City (BZE) Boeing 767-200 Daily X Sa Su
Depends on what one calls "winter 1986". Now that I know it's TACA, I looked up and the first 767-200 was delivered October 1985 as N767BE and flown by TACA until June 1986. The second didn't come until May 1986 as N767TA, a 767-200ER, the one in an accident.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 9:02 pm
Suspended

The following quiz items have a time line of the spring of 1991....

24. What a fun week it’s been in Cancun! Maybe you’ll retire here someday. But for now, you must return to the world of stocks and bonds as a trader on New York’s Wall Street. Lots of airlines offer direct flights between Cancun and New York but only one serves New York’s LaGuardia Airport, conveniently located just three miles from your home in Astoria, Queens. It’s a daily service with First Class seats available. Identify the air carrier, the enroute stop and the equipment..
American Airlines, Boeing 727-200, LGA-DFW-CUN

not certain, but that is the ticket counter that I am going to.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Good call, Toshbaf! TACA it was, and while TACA (Transportes Aereos del Continente Americano) (Take A Chance Airlines) may have been based out of El Salvador, they were really more of a regional airline serving El Salvador, Guatemala, Belize and Honduras.
As long as we're into trivia, the parent company was called Grupo TACA. They tried to recruit me once.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 11:27 pm
Suspended

May I ask a question that I don't have the answer?

It is 1984. One wants to travel nonstop from IAH-SFO. What airlines fly, what plane, and how many daily flights. My guess is
United 727-200 around 7 am, once a day (My guess is this flight started in 1982, prior to the purchase of Pan Am's Pacific routes)
Continental, several times a day (all 727's or any DC-10's?)
Eastern 727-200, twice a day? What's the evening schedule? My guess is departing 6:00 pm - 8:00 pm arrival

What's Eastern's schedule SFO-IAH?
Old Feb 12, 2019, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
It's not Northwest, nor an A320. It's not Continental, nor any variant of a 737. United, Delta and Eastern are also out, but the 727-200 is the correct aircraft.

Wild guess of AA (given that it is a 727-200) via MIA

Not so wild at all. AA through MIA makes a lot of sense and if I didn't know better, especially after all the other possibilities posited, I'd be shocked that it's not AA. But there you have it. It's not, and so the search continues. If it's any help however - and I'm sure it will be - Miami was the enroute stop point. Alright then - go get 'em!
Old Feb 12, 2019, 12:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Toshbaf
Depends on what one calls "winter 1986". Now that I know it's TACA, I looked up and the first 767-200 was delivered October 1985 as N767BE and flown by TACA until June 1986. The second didn't come until May 1986 as N767TA, a 767-200ER, the one in an accident.

We're talking the last quarter of '86

Re. Question #24: American Airlines, Boeing 727-200, LGA-DFW-CUN. Not certain, but that is the ticket counter that I am going to.

Per the response above, it's not AA. Better keep checking those other ticket counters. Good luck! ^

Last edited by Seat 2A; Feb 12, 2019 at 12:14 am
Old Feb 12, 2019, 12:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
As long as we're into trivia, the parent company was called Grupo TACA. They tried to recruit me once.
Indeed. And now it is part of the Avianca Holdings group as Avianca El Salvador. Sad to see so many smaller carriers getting gobbled up into the big conglomerates like Avianca.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 10:50 am

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Re. Question #24: American Airlines, Boeing 727-200, LGA-DFW-CUN. Not certain, but that is the ticket counter that I am going to.

Per the response above, it's not AA. Better keep checking those other ticket counters. Good luck!
Hmm, my guess was Delta via ATL, then AA via MIA when that turned out wrong. Eastern via ATL or MIA would have made sense too but they were (just barely) gone by then. Pan Am would last until the end of the year though, and didn’t they have a fleet of 727s for Latin America and the Caribbean? I don’t recall them having much/any domestic service but maybe they did operate some feeder flights to their international hubs.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Speaking of trivia...

I believe TACA was founded in Honduras in 1931 by Lowell Yerex, a New Zealander who had served with the British Royal Flying Corps in World War I. It is reported that after losing control of TACA, Mr. Yerex went on to found British West Indian Airways (BWIA) in Trinidad & Tobago.

TACA was later based in El Salvador but the corporate headquarters was then moved to New Orleans during the 1970's due to the civil war in its home country. I also believe TACA was controlled by U.S. interests at this time.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by jlemon
Speaking of trivia...

I believe TACA was founded in Honduras in 1931 by Lowell Yerex, a New Zealander who had served with the British Royal Flying Corps in World War I. It is reported that after losing control of TACA, Mr. Yerex went on to found British West Indian Airways (BWIA) in Trinidad & Tobago.
This dude was the grandfather of a good friend of mine. He (my friend) knew of his involvement in the airline business but not the specifics. My friend told me his grandfather was also down in Argentina.

Last edited by YVR Cockroach; Feb 12, 2019 at 11:39 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.