FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.
View Single Post
Old Feb 11, 2019, 6:21 pm
Seat 2A
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl767
16. Business calls in Spokane, Washington. From your base in San Diego, that’s likely going to involve a connection somewhere. But no! Much to your surprise, there’s a daily 2-stop direct flight departing San Diego’s Lindbergh Field each morning. Identify the usual trio of indicators for this flight.

The absence of a reference to First Class leads me to think this was a PSA MD-80 stopping at San Francisco (SFO) and Seattle (SEA)

PSA would've been my first thought as well. But no! We're looking for another airline - one that never operated MD-80s...

24. What a fun week it’s been in Cancun! Maybe you’ll retire here someday. But for now, you must return to the world of stocks and bonds as a trader on New York’s Wall Street. Lots of airlines offer direct flights between Cancun and New York but only one serves New York’s LaGuardia Airport, conveniently located just three miles from your home in Astoria, Queens. It’s a daily service with First Class seats available. Identify the air carrier, the enroute stop and the equipment.
It's not Northwest, nor an A320. It's not Continental, nor any variant of a 737. United is also out, but the 727-200 is the correct aircraft.

With EA also being ruled out, it seems like we are down to Delta, which would strongly imply service via Atlanta (ATL)

Sounds good to me. But hey - what do I know? Turns out we're looking for yet another airline... one that made its single stop at an airport on the U.S. east coast...

27. Years ago, if you wanted to fly from Las Vegas to Wichita, Kansas, there were a couple of well timed TWA flights serving the route. Alas, these days the only direct option is a one-stop redeye. Still, you don’t like making connections and so you book yourself a seat. Identify the airline, the enroute stop and the aircraft type.

Redeye departures from LAS immediately make me think of America West ... the stop would most likely have been at a city within ~30-45 minutes block time of ICT, say Tulsa (TUL) or Oklahoma City (OKC), and the equipment would have been a 737 (I'll randomly say a -300)

You're right about those redeyes (yawn!) - and you're right about America West. I'll save us some time and acknowledge that the aircraft in question was a 737-200. However, the enroute stop remains a mystery as it was neither OKC or TUL. Please, guess again!