Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2019, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by Seat 2A

25. In late 1986, there was only one airline operating scheduled flights with Boeing 747SPs into London’s Gatwick Airport. The flight only operated once a week. Name the airline that operated this service.
C.A.A.C. (CA) to Beijing (PEK).
Was it non-stop? If there was a stop, maybe Zurich.
I recall it was Sunday's only.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 1:12 pm

29. In 1986, what was the longest scheduled flight into London operated by an L-1011 of any variant?
Guess time again...

British Airways to Rio de Janeiro (GIG), TriStar 500
Old Feb 16, 2019, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)

The following quiz items have a time line of the winter of 1994....

2. During ski season, the little Yampa Valley Regional Airport (HDN) serving Steamboat Springs, CO sees a lot more business, including jet flights from three different airlines, with each airline operating different and unique equipment. Identify the three airlines and the equipment each operates into HDN.

3. Back in the “Good Old Days” New Orleans was well served with a variety of widebody jet flights. National Airlines in particular comes to mind with its many DC-10s routing through from a variety of Florida cities, continuing on to Houston and points west. In early 1994, MSY is served with only two widebody flights per day – both the same type of equipment. We’re not interested in the destination(s) of these flights, just the airline and equipment type.
2. I think we are talking about American with the B757-200, Northwest with the B727-200 and United with the B737-300.

3. Ah, perhaps Delta is ready when we are.....and the aircraft may have been the L-1011.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon
A. Identify the three airlines operating MD80s between airports on the US mainland and Aruba in the spring of 1991
ALM & BWIA identified. It's not VIASA. Still need one more...

El wild guess-oh numero two-oh: Aeropostal

Ya, mon. Clear it off! ^
Old Feb 16, 2019, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by KT550
25. In late 1986, there was only one airline operating scheduled flights with Boeing 747SPs into London’s Gatwick Airport. The flight only operated once a week. Name the airline that operated this service.

C.A.A.C. (CA) to Beijing (PEK). Was it non-stop? If there was a stop, maybe Zurich. I recall it was Sunday's only.

Correct! Way to get the ball rolling, KT! The flight did indeed come in from Zurich

CAAC CA 937 Zurich (ZRH) 745a-820a London (LGW) 747SP Sunday only

29. In 1986, what was the longest scheduled flight into London operated by an L-1011 of any variant?

Guess time again... British Airways to Rio de Janeiro (GIG), TriStar 500

Spot on. Here's the schedule:

British Airways BA 246 Rio de Janeiro (GIG) 1110p-100p London (LHR) L-1011-500 Saturday only ~ 5750 miles
Old Feb 16, 2019, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jlemon
2. During ski season, the little Yampa Valley Regional Airport (HDN) serving Steamboat Springs, CO sees a lot more business, including jet flights from three different airlines, with each airline operating different and unique equipment. Identify the three airlines and the equipment each operates into HDN.

I think we are talking about American with the B757-200, Northwest with the B727-200 and United with the B737-300.

We are indeed. Here's the line-up:

American Boeing 757-200 from ORD and DFW
United Boeing 737-300 from ORD and DEN
Northwest Boeing 727-200 from MSP

3. Back in the “Good Old Days” New Orleans was well served with a variety of widebody jet flights. National Airlines in particular comes to mind with its many DC-10s routing through from a variety of Florida cities, continuing on to Houston and points west. In early 1994, MSY is served with only two widebody flights per day – both the same type of equipment. We’re not interested in the destination(s) of these flights, just the airline and equipment type.

Ah, perhaps Delta is ready when we are.....and the aircraft may have been the L-1011.

Delta may well have been ready, but not with any widebodies in MSY. We're looking for a different airline operating a different aircraft type...
And with that, I must take leave of the quiz for a bit as I have an appointment with my parole officer in town. Seeya later this evening assuming all goes well...
Old Feb 16, 2019, 4:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL

The following quiz items have a time line of the winter of 1994....

1. In the winter of 1994, what was the shortest flight in North America operated with widebody equipment?
United, SFO-OAK, sometimes with a DC-10-10
Old Feb 16, 2019, 4:48 pm
Suspended

7. Back in early 1994, you could fly aboard what was possibly the first scheduled westbound nonstop transcon flight operated with a variant of the Boeing 737. Identify the route, the airline and the variant of 737 utilized.
Shooting from the hip without thinking hard and probably being wrong, I guess

United Airlines, IAD-SFO, on a 737-300.

I know it doesn't make sense because SFO is further west than LAX or SEA. However, I do know that UA had a 733 route but it may not have been the first 737 transcon. How about a future question about a MD-80 transcon?
Old Feb 16, 2019, 4:52 pm
Suspended

I know it's the wrong time to ask an off topic question since a large number of new questions have just been released. However, I have poor willpower.

It's 1966. Which airlines flies HNL-SFO? I think Pan Am and it's a 707. Because of Hawaii Five-O reruns and sponsorship, I assume that United flew DC-8's on that route.

Why the question? I see an old photo in a family photo album.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
12. The American Meteorological Society is holding its annual conference in Jackson, Mississippi – the windiest city in America. From your home outside of Phoenix, that’ll probably translate into an unpleasant journey involving one or more connections. Imagine then your surprise and delight when your travel agent informs you that there’s a 2-stop flight departing Phoenix each morning except Saturday. Identify the airline, enroute stops and equipment please.
12- Delta with a 72S via Dallas/Ft Worth (DFW) and Shreveport (SHV) seems like a really obvious answer, but there’s no mention of First Class, so that means it’s probably not the right answer ... it’s too early for Southwest to be serving any states that don’t border Texas, which means the only single-class operation across the southern part of the country that comes to mind is Frontier, and the jet of course a 737-291 ... the first stop would certainly have been FL’s Denver (DEN) hub; how about Tulsa (TUL) for the second

13. Business calls in Dallas, Texas. You’ll be attending the International Meeting on Thermodynamics, Fluid Dynamics & Fluid Mechanics. Now then, how to get there? A call to Err Canada reveals no service to Dallas from Vancouver. How about calling a travel agent, then. Yes! Although there are no nonstops, there are two daily 2-stop flights – both on the same airline, both following the same routing. The morning flight offers a snack, breakfast and lunch enroute. Yum!! Bookit, Danno! Alright then, you know the drill – identify all the usual stuff.
13- once again I’m positing the airline based on the absence of First Class service ... and once again I’m coming up with a Frontier 737-200 ... stops were Spokane (GEG) and Denver (DEN)
Old Feb 16, 2019, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Toshbaf
1. In the winter of 1994, what was the shortest flight in North America operated with widebody equipment?

United, SFO-OAK, sometimes with a DC-10-10

The flight was operated with a United DC-10, but not on that route. Please, guess again!
Old Feb 16, 2019, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
1- how about the ~70-mile DEN<—>COS? my second guess would be the ~45-mile IAD<—>BWI
Old Feb 16, 2019, 9:30 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jrl767
1- how about the ~70-mile DEN<—>COS? my second guess would be the ~45-mile IAD<—>BWI
That's my guess, DEN-COS. United did fly SFO-OAK-ORD using a DC-10-10 but it was in the early 1980's, not the year specified in the question.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 9:34 pm
Suspended

3. Back in the “Good Old Days” New Orleans was well served with a variety of widebody jet flights. National Airlines in particular comes to mind with its many DC-10s routing through from a variety of Florida cities, continuing on to Houston and points west. In early 1994, MSY is served with only two widebody flights per day – both te same type of equipment. We’re not interested in the destination(s) of these flights, just the airline and equipment type.
Delta Air Lines, 767
Old Feb 17, 2019, 1:05 am
Suspended

8. Back in early 1994, if you wanted to fly between the New York City metropolitan area and Chicago’s Midway Airport, three airlines offered nonstop flights. Two operated from Newark while one operated out of LaGuardia. Each airline operated a different type of equipment on this route. Identify the three airlines and the equipment each operated on the NYC-MDW route.
I like this question even if I don't get it completely right!

Kiwi International Air Lines, Boeing 727-200, EWR-MDW. Romanian/British Rombac One-Eleven with newer Tay engines were planned but were never built.

Midway Airlines, Fokker 100, LGA-MDW

Continental Airlines, Boeing 737-300, EWR-MDW

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.