Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2019, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by WHBM
27. These days the Dubai to London route is well served with a multitude of daily nonstop A380s from the likes of Emirates, BA and Qantas. Back in 1986 however, it was a different story. Which airline offered the most nonstop flights per week from Dubai to London?

Singapore Airlines?

2nd place to YVR Cockroach: "This was to be my guess too after GF was ruled out. SQ moved the ME stop from BAH to DXB in the 'late 70s or '80s (and ws making 1-stop flights to/from LHR). Equipment most likely/frequently used was a 747-300?"

Correct! Singapore 022 operated daily on the DXB-LHR route with a 747-300. BA had just one nonstop per week. Its other flights were one stop.

28. On my recent trip through Southeast Asia – and in particular Vietnam - earlier this year, I was impressed by the quality of air travel within Vietnam. On the Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh City route, three airlines offer dozens of daily nonstops. Vietnam Airlines operates many of its flights on that route with new Boeing 787 and Airbus A350 equipment. Back in 1986 however, the HAN-SGN route had just a single daily flight. Identify the airline and aircraft operating that flight.

Hang Khong Vietnam Tupolev Tu134

I'll bet you were a straight A student, W - Here's the schedule for the single daily flight

Hang Khong Vietnam VN 211 Hanoi (HAN) 730a-950a Saigon (SGN) TU-134 Daily

Last edited by Seat 2A; Feb 19, 2019 at 10:55 am
Old Feb 19, 2019, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
18. Identify the only international flight operated out of Halifax Stanfield International Airport with turboprop equipment. We’re looking for airline, destination and equipment.

Going back to my favorite French destination in North America (which I have yet to get anywhere nearer than Gander). Air St Pierre, St Pierre (FSP) with an ATR 42

You've got the correct airline and destination, YVR - but the wrong aircraft. The ATR came later. Additionally, in 1994 the flight was marketed as a CP Air flight but operated by Air St. Pierre. Please finish this one off!
Old Feb 19, 2019, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jlemon
9. After having been upgraded to First Class aboard an oversold Eastern L-1011 back in the eighties, Jim’s had a hard time sitting in Economy Class on airplanes that also have a First Class cabin. He just can’t get past the memories of his fantastic experience and the fact that he’s not only up not up there to enjoy it again, but that on his pension as a custodial technician for the East Orange School District, he likely never will be. As such, Jim prefers to fly upon airlines that don’t offer First Class. Fortunately, the route between New York and Ft. Lauderdale features two airlines that operate their jets in an all-economy configuration. Identify both airlines and the equipment each operates.

Well, we know that Carnival was operating B727-200 service from New York to Fort Lauderdale (out of Newark, I think). And I believe I know who the other air carrier was as this airline was operating B727-200 service as well....

But first, let's go back to 1993 and Houston Intercontinental Airport. A new start up was attempting to operate premium first class and coach service with B727-200 aircraft configured with 90 seats with nonstop flights between IAH and LAX and also nonstop between IAH and EWR. Their inflight service featured gourmet meals and one could even earn AAdvantage miles by flying with them. The name of this airline was UltrAir and I remember seeing their aircraft at IAH. However, as so often was the case with premium service operations, UltrAir quickly ran into financial difficulties. So what to do? In a radical (and some might say desperate) move, UltrAir moved its operation to New York JFK Airport and reconfigured its 72S aircraft to offer all coach, low fare service. Several routes between JFK and Florida were operated along with a route that was a bit curious: JFK - BHM - MOB. Alas, this transition from premium first and coach service to all low fare coach flights did not work either and UltrAir was no more. So there's my answer: UltrAir.

Spot on, JL! And thanks for the additional detail ^

11. It’s a long ride from Rapid City, SD to Seattle, WA on the Greyhound bus, but hey - you can’t beat the price! Unfortunately, when the bus breaks down outside of Billings, MT and you’re told that the next one won’t be along for another couple of days, you decide to bag it and fly. To your surprise, there’s a single daily nonstop flight departing late each evening to Seattle. You take a big breath, pull out your credit card and purchase a ticket. Identify the airline and aircraft you’ll be flying upon.

I remember that at one point Western was operating nonstop B727-200 service between Billings and Seattle so there's my guess.

And you would be correct! Here's the schedule:

Western Airlines WA 687 Billings (BIL) 935p-1016p Seattle, WA Boeing 727-200
Old Feb 19, 2019, 12:03 pm

Programs: BA
Singapore 022 operated daily on the DXB-LHR route with a 747-300. BA had just one nonstop per week. Its other flights were one stop.
Were there any Singapore Airlines flights in the other direction ? I seem to recall that when the 747-300 came along SQ managed London to Singapore nonstop, although not in the other direction, a combination of prevailing winds and more cargo demand from Asia to Europe than in the other direction.

Must have been about this time, 1986-ish that I would visit a business office on the main road along the north side of Heathrow, and then a rather dreary pub next door, and as we left more than once the nonstop Singapore Airlines 747-300 would throttle up and go (2130 departure ?), decidedly noisily, if departures were on the northern runway. I would describe where it was going to the others.

Some things never quite change !

Here's the schedule for the single daily flight

Hang Khong Vietnam VN 211 Hanoi (HAN) 730a-950a Saigon (SGN) TU-134 Daily
Was the destination not Ho Chi Minh City, although the IATA code didn't change and remained SGN ? (bit like St Petersburg and LED).

Surprisingly, the city nowadays has the same population as London ...

Last edited by WHBM; Feb 19, 2019 at 12:30 pm
Old Feb 19, 2019, 8:40 pm

Programs: DL, AA
30. You’re flying from New York home to Paris to visit family and friends over the Christmas holidays. Your family lives in the Viry-Ch tillon neighborhood, only 20 minutes south of Orly Airport via the A6. The problem is all the airlines you’d expect to fly from NYC to Paris all fly into the much less convenient Charles de Gaulle Airport. But wait! Further research has revealed two airlines – both of which offer twice weekly nonstop flights between New York JFK and Paris Orly. Identify the two airlines and the aircraft each operate.

#1 - Egyptair 747
#2 - Pakistian International - 74M.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 9:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
The following quiz items have a time line of the spring of 1987....
18. Identify the only international flight operated out of Halifax Stanfield International Airport with turboprop equipment. We’re looking for airline, destination and equipment.
CP Air/Air St. Pierre is correct. Still looking for the aircraft

The following quiz items have a time line of the winter of 1986....

27. These days the Dubai to London route is well served with a multitude of daily nonstop A380s from the likes of Emirates, BA and Qantas. Back in 1986 however, it was a different story. Which airline offered the most nonstop flights per week from Dubai to London?
A N S W E R E D
6. After driving from Anchorage down the Alaska Highway to Eugene, Oregon to deliver your old Ford Bronco to your son who’s a student athlete at the U of O, you watched with pride as his Oregon Ducks beat the Washington Huskies in a last second buzzer beater in NCAA Division 1 Basketball. For your return flight home to Anchorage, you’ve found a great low far with an airline other than Alaska. You’ll fly nonstop from Eugene to the connecting city, and then board a one stop flight to Anchorage. Identify the airline, the aircraft and the routing including the intermediate stop between the connecting city and Anchorage.

Morris Air Service (KN), Boeing 737-300, Eugene-Portland (EUG-PDX) connecting to Portland-Seattle-Anchorage (PDX-SEA-ANC)

Did you just know this off the top of your head? Pretty good. Here's the schedule:

Morris Air KN 123 Eugene (EUG) 350p-430p Portland (PDX) 737-300 Daily

Answer: Guessed it off the top of my head. Thought process....Who flew Eugene to somewhere (maybe PDX or SEA) then flew a one stop (must be SEA, YVR, or JNU) to ANC but is not Alaska.

18. Hawker Siddeley HS748

Were there any Singapore Airlines flights in the other direction ? I seem to recall that when the 747-300 came along SQ managed London to Singapore nonstop, although not in the other direction, a combination of prevailing winds and more cargo demand from Asia to Europe than in the other direction.

Must have been about this time, 1986-ish that I would visit a business office on the main road along the north side of Heathrow, and then a rather dreary pub next door, and as we left more than once the nonstop Singapore Airlines 747-300 would throttle up and go (2130 departure ?), decidedly noisily, if departures were on the northern runway. I would describe where it was going to the others.

I thought it was SIN-DXB-LHR-SIN with the DXB mainly for fuel or the person who was flying one way DXB-SIN or returning by BA.

After my Gulf Air guess, Singapore Airlines was going to be my 2nd guess. I guessed that they flew almost daily but not daily.

Last edited by Toshbaf; Feb 19, 2019 at 9:30 pm
Old Feb 20, 2019, 6:17 am

Programs: BA
24. In late 1986, only one airline operates Soviet built equipment into Miami. You have booked yourself a First Class seat aboard that airline’s nonstop flight to its home base. What airline will you be flying on, where will you be flying to and what type of airplane will you be flying on?

Guyana Airways Tu154 to Georgetown.

Correct you are, Sir! The flight arrived from Guyana on Friday night. I wonder who in Miami would have worked on it had there been a mechanical issue of some sort? Or did GY fly with a mechanic like Alaska does on some of its rural routes.

Guyana Airways GY 708 Miami (MIA) 700a-1015a Georgetown (GEO) Tupolev TU-154 Sat only

I was going to put some notes, but could redo them as a Bonus Question. Which airline actually managed this Guyana Airways Tupolev operation in South America, provided the crews, oversaw the maintenance, and provided a number of relief aircraft over time while the main one had gone back to Moscow for periodic maintenance. I suppose I'd better help, it was neither Aeroflot nor Cubana.

In answer to the mechanical issue, the Tupolev actually carried one flight engineer, and quite often a second one as well, in its large crew. Unlike some western carriers where the position of flight engineer was really a pilot in waiting, the Soviet tradition was a full time role with engineering qualifications, with them having served considerable time in the maintenance hangar before joining the aircrew. They also carried a lot of spares in the hold, including complete wheels etc.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A

16. In the post-deregulated world of commercial air travel in the U.S., anything’s possible it seems. Witness your upcoming trip from Fayetteville, NC to Reno, NV. You love the spring skiing at Heavenly Valley and in years past your trip between Fayetteville and Reno has involved one and often two connections. Not so anymore with the arrival of a new 2-stop direct flight. Identify the airline, the equipment and the two intermediate stops.
16. When I think of Fayetteville, NC (FAY), I immediately think of Piedmont Airlines. But I do not believe PI ever served Reno.

However, I do recall that American had a presence in North Carolina back then.....

So let's go with AA operating a B727-200 on a routing of Fayetteville - Charlotte - Dallas/Fort Worth - Reno.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)

I was going to put some notes, but could redo them as a Bonus Question. Which airline actually managed this Guyana Airways Tupolev operation in South America, provided the crews, oversaw the maintenance, and provided a number of relief aircraft over time while the main one had gone back to Moscow for periodic maintenance. I suppose I'd better help, it was neither Aeroflot nor Cubana.
The reference to the Tupolev 154 being rotated back to Moscow for maintenance might lead one to think the air carrier in question was based in Russia.

However, that observation shall not prevent me from submitting a wild guess: TAROM - Romanian Air Transport

Last edited by jlemon; Feb 22, 2019 at 3:53 pm Reason: changed my guess
Old Feb 22, 2019, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Good evening from the A13 Admirals Club at Philadelphia

I'm sorry for the extended break in correspondence. Between teething problems on a new laptop and a recent visit with friends in the hills of North Carolina (they have no internet access) I've been unable to access the internet until now. And now, I don't have much time as my flight across the pond to Europe is boarding shortly. AA Business Class. We'll see how that goes. In the meantime, I'll check back momentarily in another frame...
Old Feb 22, 2019, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Was the destination not Ho Chi Minh City, although the IATA code didn't change and remained SGN ? (bit like St Petersburg and LED)
You are correct.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Icecat
30. You’re flying from New York home to Paris to visit family and friends over the Christmas holidays. Your family lives in the Viry-Ch tillon neighborhood, only 20 minutes south of Orly Airport via the A6. The problem is all the airlines you’d expect to fly from NYC to Paris all fly into the much less convenient Charles de Gaulle Airport. But wait! Further research has revealed two airlines – both of which offer twice weekly nonstop flights between New York JFK and Paris Orly. Identify the two airlines and the aircraft each operate.

Correct.

#1 - Egyptair 747 Egyptair MS 986 1000p-1100a 747 Op. Fr Su
#2 - Pakistian International - 74M PIA Pakistan PK 704/712 830p-930a/900p-1000a 74M Tu/Sa
Old Feb 23, 2019, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Toshbaf
CP Air/Air St. Pierre is correct. Still looking for the aircraft

[color=blue]Hawker Siddeley HS748[color]

That's the aircraft we're looking for. Here' the schedule:

CP Air CP 418 Halifax (YHZ) 1115p-150p St. Pierre (FSP) Op. By Air St. Pierre Op. Mo We Fr
Old Feb 23, 2019, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jlemon
16. In the post-deregulated world of commercial air travel in the U.S., anything’s possible it seems. Witness your upcoming trip from Fayetteville, NC to Reno, NV. You love the spring skiing at Heavenly Valley and in years past your trip between Fayetteville and Reno has involved one and often two connections. Not so anymore with the arrival of a new 2-stop direct flight. Identify the airline, the equipment and the two intermediate stops.

When I think of Fayetteville, NC (FAY), I immediately think of Piedmont Airlines. But I do not believe PI ever served Reno. However, I do recall that American had a presence in North Carolina back then..... So let's go with AA operating a B727-200 on a routing of Fayetteville - Charlotte - Dallas/Fort Worth - Reno.

Your recall is excellent as always, JL. Here's the schedule:

American AA 539 Fayetteville, NC (FAY) 259p-336p Charlotte, NC (CLT) 406p-531p S Dallas (DFW) 631p-755p D Reno (RNO) 727-200 Daily
Old Feb 23, 2019, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Moving right along:

1. It's the winter of 1986 and you’re on Koror where it’s been a great week of diving and exploring submerged WWII ships. Now it’s time to return to Honolulu. Surprisingly, Air Mike only serves Honolulu via a connection in Guam. But wait! There’s another option – a 2-stop direct flight that just happens to be leaving Sunday afternoon. Identify the airline, aircraft and the two enroute stops.
It was not Air Nauru, but the second stop was on Majuro

The following quiz item has a time line of the spring of 1980....

10. How exciting! You’ve just been invited by your brother to join him and his family at the Jai Alai Tournament of Champions down in Miami. From your home in Daytona Beach, Miami is just a 4 hour drive down I-95. Then again, thanks to a new deregulation inspired fare war, there’s a sale on. Your first choice of airlines, Eastern, is sold out. However, the other carrier serving Miami from DAB is offering a two-stop flight for $3.00 less than Eastern. Book it Danno! Identify the airline, aircraft and the two enroute stops.
A N S W E R E D

The following quiz items have a time line of the spring of 1987....

14. It used to be if you wanted to fly from Pittsburgh to Toronto, you’d give Nordair or Eastern a call. These days, Eastern still serves the route with a pair of 757s but Nordair has been replaced by another airline. Identify that airline and the equipment it operates on its two flights between Pittsburgh and Toronto.

15. You never envisioned yourself going to see Kenny Rogers in concert (AC/DC is more your speed) but when your grandparents offer to pay for you and your wife to join them in Branson, Missouri, you all have a surprisingly good time. Now it’s time to fly back home to Los Angeles. The flight out to Springfield from Los Angeles involved a connection and a missed connection, so when you discover that there’s a single daily direct 2-stop flight from SGF back to LAX, you buy a pair of tickets. Identify the airline, equipment and the two enroute stops.
A N S W E R E D

17. The history of air travel through California’s scenic Lake Tahoe airport has seen a variety of airlines and aircraft operating everything from Viscounts to 727s. In 1987 only one airline operates anything larger than a 20 seater through TVL. Identify that airline and the equipment it operates.
A N S W E R E D

19. In 1987, if you want to fly direct from most anywhere in Florida to the state of Maine, you typically call Delta Airlines. You’ve never been a big fan of Delta though, and so you couldn’t be happier to discover an airline you’ve never heard of offering an affordable one stop direct flight – indeed it’s the only service nonstop or direct – between Orlando and Portland. Book it, Danno! Identify the airline and aircraft you’ll be flying aboard, not to mention the aircraft type.

20. Identify the two international routes flown to and from the United States utilizing a DC-3. While you’re at it, identify the single airline that flew them as well.

21. It’s a great life working as a bartender for the rich and famous in Vail, Colorado. Now that the season is over, it’s time to relocate to Las Vegas and your summer job bartending at the MGM Grand. Thankfully the transition is made easier this year with the addition of a new once weekly 1-stop direct flight between Vail’s Eagle County Regional Airport and Las Vegas. Identify the airline, aircraft and enroute stop if you please.

22. What fun! You’ve just received a call from jlemon to join him and three friends on a sailing trip from Aruba to St. Thomas, Virgin Islands. From your home in Wilmington, Delaware you could fly out of either New York or Washington, DC as both airports are essentially equidistant from your home and accessible by train. You settle for a well timed departure out of JFK aboard a new airline that offers affordable 1 stop flights each Saturday and Sunday to Aruba. Breakfast and lunch will be served enroute. Identify the airline, aircraft and enroute stop please.

23. Is this your lucky trip or what? A quick review of the schedules between St. Thomas and Washington Dulles has revealed a convenient afternoon 1-stop direct flight that ticks all the boxes: It’s more affordable than the traditional airlines flying the route, it offers First Class service and a dinner is served enroute. What airline and aircraft will you be flying upon and where will you stop along the way?

The following quiz items have a time line of the winter of 1986....

31. It’s been a dreary winter in the tiny village of Little Bollington in Cheshire, England. Perhaps a trip down to Spain’s beautiful Costa Blanca is in order. From nearby Manchester Airport, there’s a new airline that operates a single weekly scheduled nonstop departing MAN each Saturday. Best of all, there’ll be no dreaded seatback catering such as found on some of those dreadful charters. Identify the airline and the aircraft type it operates.
It's not Cal Air, nor is it a DC-10

33. Identify the only airline NOT from Africa or the Middle East that still flew Boeing 707s on scheduled flights into London Heathrow

Last edited by Seat 2A; Feb 27, 2019 at 3:57 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.