FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.
View Single Post
Old Feb 19, 2019, 9:06 pm
Toshbaf
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
The following quiz items have a time line of the spring of 1987....
18. Identify the only international flight operated out of Halifax Stanfield International Airport with turboprop equipment. We’re looking for airline, destination and equipment.
CP Air/Air St. Pierre is correct. Still looking for the aircraft

The following quiz items have a time line of the winter of 1986....

27. These days the Dubai to London route is well served with a multitude of daily nonstop A380s from the likes of Emirates, BA and Qantas. Back in 1986 however, it was a different story. Which airline offered the most nonstop flights per week from Dubai to London?
A N S W E R E D
6. After driving from Anchorage down the Alaska Highway to Eugene, Oregon to deliver your old Ford Bronco to your son who’s a student athlete at the U of O, you watched with pride as his Oregon Ducks beat the Washington Huskies in a last second buzzer beater in NCAA Division 1 Basketball. For your return flight home to Anchorage, you’ve found a great low far with an airline other than Alaska. You’ll fly nonstop from Eugene to the connecting city, and then board a one stop flight to Anchorage. Identify the airline, the aircraft and the routing including the intermediate stop between the connecting city and Anchorage.

Morris Air Service (KN), Boeing 737-300, Eugene-Portland (EUG-PDX) connecting to Portland-Seattle-Anchorage (PDX-SEA-ANC)

Did you just know this off the top of your head? Pretty good. Here's the schedule:

Morris Air KN 123 Eugene (EUG) 350p-430p Portland (PDX) 737-300 Daily

Answer: Guessed it off the top of my head. Thought process....Who flew Eugene to somewhere (maybe PDX or SEA) then flew a one stop (must be SEA, YVR, or JNU) to ANC but is not Alaska.

18. Hawker Siddeley HS748

Originally Posted by WHBM
Were there any Singapore Airlines flights in the other direction ? I seem to recall that when the 747-300 came along SQ managed London to Singapore nonstop, although not in the other direction, a combination of prevailing winds and more cargo demand from Asia to Europe than in the other direction.

Must have been about this time, 1986-ish that I would visit a business office on the main road along the north side of Heathrow, and then a rather dreary pub next door, and as we left more than once the nonstop Singapore Airlines 747-300 would throttle up and go (2130 departure ?), decidedly noisily, if departures were on the northern runway. I would describe where it was going to the others.

I thought it was SIN-DXB-LHR-SIN with the DXB mainly for fuel or the person who was flying one way DXB-SIN or returning by BA.

After my Gulf Air guess, Singapore Airlines was going to be my 2nd guess. I guessed that they flew almost daily but not daily.

Last edited by Toshbaf; Feb 19, 2019 at 9:30 pm