Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2014, 11:52 am

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon
20) In 1978, this airline was flying nonstop once a week from Grand Cayman (GCM) to Fort Lauderdale (FLL). Name the air carrier and the aircraft type operated on the route.
That would be Southern, Sunday only, with a DC9 -- no series shown in their timetable.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
20) Correct! This GCM-FLL flight was operated in addition to Southern's daily Douglas DC-9 GCM-MIA nonstop service during the summer of 1978. I suspect the aircraft may have been a DC-9-10....but it could have been a DC-9-30 as well. The flight number was SO 203.

Following the merger of Southern and North Central in 1979, Republic continued to operate this same Sunday only schedule from GCM to FLL as RC 203. Aircraft was a DC-9-30.

Last edited by jlemon; Jul 20, 2014 at 12:10 pm Reason: additional info
Old Jul 20, 2014, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
19) ... a direct flight leaving in the morning from EWR to CRP which makes five intermediate stops en route and first class is available. Name the airline you'll be flying on in first as well as the aircraft and all five stops in the order in which they were made.
Originally Posted by jrl767
how about a Braniff 727-100 via DCA, BNA, MEM, DFW, and SAT
19) Ah, it was not Braniff....so please guess again!
perhaps Eastern with a D9S via GSO, CLT, ATL, MSY, IAH
Old Jul 20, 2014, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
[INDENT]perhaps Eastern with a D9S via GSO, CLT, ATL, MSY, IAH
19) Eastern is correct but not with a DC-9-30....

ATL, MSY and IAH are correct but GSO and CLT are not....

Please guess again.....
Old Jul 20, 2014, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
bonus quiz item:

32) In April of 1974, there was only one nonstop flight a day from Washington Dulles to Atlanta. Identify the airline that operated this flight and the aircraft type.
this was probably DL107, the Delta/Pan Am interchange that came in from London carrying a PA flight number; by this time it was flown with a 747 (although it had originally been implemented with a DC-8, continuing to New Orleans)

my first flight on a 747 -- in First, no less -- was DL106 ATL-IAD in Dec 1972
Old Jul 20, 2014, 6:21 pm

Programs: DL, AA
27) In 1992, this regional air carrier was operating a diverse route system that stretched as far east as Terre Haute, Indiana and as far west as Alpine, Texas. Name this airline. And here's a hint: this was not a code share service, it was an independent operation.

How about Lone Star Airlines.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 6:25 pm

Programs: DL, AA
29) In 1996, only one air carrier was flying nonstop between Dallas/Ft. Worth (DFW) and Aspen (ASE). Identify this airline and the aircraft it was operating on the route.

Confusing question: The first part of the 1996 the flight was operated by Lone Star. Then Aspen Mountain purchased Lone Star; so the 1996-97 ski season was operated by Aspen Mountain with the Air Dornier 328.

Last edited by Icecat; Jul 20, 2014 at 6:43 pm
Old Jul 21, 2014, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

this was probably DL107, the Delta/Pan Am interchange that came in from London carrying a PA flight number; by this time it was flown with a 747 (although it had originally been implemented with a DC-8, continuing to New Orleans)

my first flight on a 747 -- in First, no less -- was DL106 ATL-IAD in Dec 1972
32) Correct!
Old Jul 21, 2014, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Icecat
27) In 1992, this regional air carrier was operating a diverse route system that stretched as far east as Terre Haute, Indiana and as far west as Alpine, Texas. Name this airline. And here's a hint: this was not a code share service, it was an independent operation.

How about Lone Star Airlines.
27) Correct!
Old Jul 21, 2014, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Icecat
29) In 1996, only one air carrier was flying nonstop between Dallas/Ft. Worth (DFW) and Aspen (ASE). Identify this airline and the aircraft it was operating on the route.

Confusing question: The first part of the 1996 the flight was operated by Lone Star. Then Aspen Mountain purchased Lone Star; so the 1996-97 ski season was operated by Aspen Mountain with the Air Dornier 328.
29) You're right, I should have said late 1996. At this time, the Aspen Mountain Air system timetable stated they were the "new owners of Lone Star Airlines". This regional air carrier was flying the Dornier 328 turboprop nonstop DFW-ASE and DEN-ASE at this time according to their timetable.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

it's Wild Guess Time

ROUND 1:
...1965:
17) This air carrier was operating a daily milk run route from Atlanta to Miami at this time. Six intermediate stops were made en route. Name the airline, the aircraft type and all six stops in the order in which they were made.
Delta, with a Convair 440 via
  1. Augusta (AGS)
  2. Savannah (SAV)
  3. Jacksonville (JAX)
  4. Orlando (probably ORL)
  5. Tampa (TPA)
  6. West Palm Beach (PBI)
ROUND 2:
18) This airline was operating direct, no change of plane service on a daily basis at this time from West Palm Beach (PBI) to Charleston, West Virginia (CRW). Two stops were made en route. Identify the air carrier, the equipment and both intermediate stops.
United, with a 727-100 via JAX and ATL
ROUND 3:
30) In late 1996, this airline introduced daily nonstop service between Los Angeles and Fort Lauderdale with a 737. Name the air carrier and also identify the specific 737 model flown on the route.
Carnival, 737-400 (however, I can't see that jet making the westbound run without serious payload limitations)
Old Jul 21, 2014, 9:22 pm

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
3) Identify the airline that used this marketing slogan to promote its new service in 1985: "Something fresh in the air."
That was Continental, advertising their short-lived "Continental West" service to compete with AirCal and PSA.

Routing was LAX-SJC-SEA, at first with 737-300 aircraft, later replaced with the DC9-30.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
2) Name the airline that used this marketing statement: "Isle seats to Maui."

The obvious choice (to me, at least) would seem to be a local service carrier such as Aloha or Hawaiian but then why promote aisles for a twenty-minute flight? On the other hand, a wide-bodied aircraft from the mainland would offer plenty of aisle seats... Let's go with United's DC-10 service. If not that, I'll just move on down the line with a number of other large tri-jet operators!
Old Jul 22, 2014, 12:19 pm

Programs: BA
I've been all around (lots of flights) and somewhat lost touch with the thread, but let me have a stab here

16) [1965] You are in St. Louis and need to travel to Bermuda. You discover that one airline operates daily one stop service and better yet, first class is offered as well as coach. Name the airline you'll be flying on in first class as well as the aircraft type and the intermediate stop.

I think that in 1965 only Pan Am and Eastern served Bermuda. Pan Am never served St Louis so it would be Eastern, who went there from New York and Washington. Eastern didn't do St Louis to New York, but they did (somewhat strangely) do St Louis to Washington. Eastern were still running a lot of prop aircraft at the time, I suspect that 3-engined 727s weren't allowed way out over the Atlantic yet, and a DC8/720 was probably too big for St Louis to Washington, so I'll pick between a DC7B and an Electra. Avgas was probably a nuisance to ship to Bermuda by this time so let's go for an Electra. If it's not that, they've changed it over to a 720.

1974: What aircraft type did Eastern use on Air Shuttle services?

DC9-30; occasionally a backup section would operate with an Electra
Yes, it was Eastern's approach to have the backup aircraft one generation behind the main section; when Electras had been the mainstay the last Constellations were the backup. The Electras lasted for a long time on this service, where they clocked up just a few hours a day; the last such operation was 1 November 1977, which I think marked the end of prop flights by the main fleet one of the major trunk carriers, until Northwest later bought up Republic and Convair 580s came back into a mainline fleet for a few years.

British Airways initially had a different approach on their domestic trunk Shuttle flights in the 1970s-90s, and the specially fitted Trident 1s ran the whole service in quite a well-organised (almost all the time) operation. One day I'll offer some accounts of the odd occasion when this wasn't quite achieved ......... !
Old Jul 22, 2014, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WHBM
I've been all around (lots of flights) and somewhat lost touch with the thread, but let me have a stab here

I think that in 1965 only Pan Am and Eastern served Bermuda. Pan Am never served St Louis so it would be Eastern, who went there from New York and Washington. Eastern didn't do St Louis to New York, but they did (somewhat strangely) do St Louis to Washington. Eastern were still running a lot of prop aircraft at the time, I suspect that 3-engined 727s weren't allowed way out over the Atlantic yet, and a DC8/720 was probably too big for St Louis to Washington, so I'll pick between a DC7B and an Electra. Avgas was probably a nuisance to ship to Bermuda by this time so let's go for an Electra. If it's not that, they've changed it over to a 720.
I'm pretty sure EA only ran STL <--> DCA, so the 720 certainly wouldn't have fit that bill since the 727 was the largest jet allowed into National until the 757 came along ~1982

Originally Posted by WHBM
Yes, it was Eastern's approach to have the backup aircraft one generation behind the main section; when Electras had been the mainstay the last Constellations were the backup. The Electras lasted for a long time on this service, where they clocked up just a few hours a day; the last such operation was 1 November 1977, which I think marked the end of prop flights by the main fleet one of the major trunk carriers, until Northwest later bought up Republic and Convair 580s came back into a mainline fleet for a few years. ...
can anyone identify any other markets where EA had Air-Shuttle service? (I know of at least one, since I flew on it in Jun 1974) ...

these aren't quiz questions, since I don't know the answers ...

(A) what was Eastern's flight numbering convention for the DCA/BOS <--> LGA Air-Shuttle operation? both the OAGs and EA's timetables simply showed "A/S"

(B) did EA use the same convention when operating an extra section?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.