Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2014, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by miniliq
Great bunch of questions as usual!
10) I'll go with TWA, with a Constellation on a milk run that began in Wichita, then MKC, STL, Terre Haute (HUF), Indianapolis, Cleveland and DCA. I believe all of my TWA experiences in those days was on its 707s, and I really enjoyed first class JFK-Rome and Frankfurt.

11) I'll speculate this was also TWA, using a 707 wth an intermediate stop in Madrid, although there also could have been a stop in Lisbon.

And as far as lawnmower reports goes, I'll have to get mine fitted with a snorkel if I try to do anything tomorrow. So instead I'll pick up downed branches and limbs from the intense rain squalls that have come through.
10) TWA is correct! Here's the sched....

TW 342: St. Louis - Terre Haute - Indianapolis - Cincinnati - Washington National
Op: Daily
Equip: Lockheed Constellation

11) And TWA is correct as well! Here's the sched....

TW 900: New York JFK - Madrid - Tunis - Tripoli - Cairo
Op: Thursdays only
Equip: Boeing 707-331
Old Jul 19, 2014, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Here's how Seat 2A did with regard to the following quiz items.....

7) Ah, we are talking about scheduled passenger air service here into Columbia (CAE) and I have changed the quiz items in question (#7, #8 and #9) to reflect this. Delta is correct; however, the Boeing 757-200 is incorrect.

14) Well, you are certainly on the right track with four out of five correct!

United was not operating the Boeing 720 into Atlanta at this time but they were operating the Douglas DC-6 and the DC-6B, which I counted as two different types. And according to their July 1, 1965 system timetable, UA was actually operating three different versions of the DC-6 into ATL at this time in terms of seating configurations: the DC-6 with all coach seating ("T" class), the DC-6 with all first class seating ("A" class) and the DC-6B with all first class seating ("A" class).

As for our old friend the Caravelle, UA was operating two flights a day into ATL. Here are the scheds....

UA 461: Philadelphia - Washington Dulles - Atlanta - Birmingham - New Orleans
Equip: CVL
Note: all first class seating (F)

UA 470: New Orleans - Birmingham - Atlanta - Washington Dulles - Philadelphia - New York Newark
Equip: CVL
Note: all first class seating (F)

This brings us to United's Boeing 727 service into Atlanta and a bonus quiz item:

31) All United 727 service into ATL at this time was being flown with B727-100 equipment. And there was something quite unique about all of these specific UA 727 flights into Atlanta. What was this unique feature that was not shared with other 727 aircraft in the UA fleet that were not serving ATL at this time?

Plus, one additional bonus quiz item:

32) In April of 1974, there was only one nonstop flight a day from Washington Dulles to Atlanta. Identify the airline that operated this flight and the aircraft type. ANSWERED

Last edited by jlemon; Jul 21, 2014 at 7:30 am Reason: clarification & answer update
Old Jul 19, 2014, 12:52 pm

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon

Plus, one additional bonus quiz item:

32) In 1974, there was only one nonstop flight a day from Washington Dulles to Atlanta. Identify the airline that operated this flight and the aircraft type.
Do you really mean 1974? According to its October 1974 schedule, Eastern had 5 nonstops IAD-ATL, and I believe DL also had several. Where am I going wrong (as usual)?

Last edited by miniliq; Jul 19, 2014 at 12:54 pm Reason: formatting
Old Jul 19, 2014, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Good Friday Evening All!...1965:

12) What was the primary aircraft type being operated by Eastern at this time on its hourly air shuttle service between New York LaGuardia and Washington National?
Lockheed L-1049A/C/G Super Constellations (they were gradually being replaced by Lockheed Electras in this time frame)

... late 70's...
23) ... BN was flying three different aircraft types nonstop between Dallas/Ft. Worth and Washington Dulles. Identify all three types.
besides the Boeing 727-100 and 727-200, the only other long-range jet in the BN fleet at this time was the DC-8-62 ... these were used on the South American routes, although I did fly the LAX <--> SFO tag-ons for $25 each way in 1977 and 1978

but the question asked about BN operated flights, not BN-owned aircraft

under a unique interchange service arrangement with British Airways and Air France (the aircraft registration was actually transferred at IAD), Braniff crews operated the domestic portions of DFW-IAD-LHR/CDG flights -- using Concorde
Old Jul 19, 2014, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Do you really mean 1974? According to its October 1974 schedule, Eastern had 5 nonstops IAD-ATL, and I believe DL also had several. Where am I going wrong (as usual)?
Well, let's fine tune this bonus quiz item a bit....

According to the April 1, 1974 OAG, there was only one flight a day from IAD to ATL. This same OAG also lists up to 15 flights a day from DCA to ATL operated by DL, EA and UA......
Old Jul 19, 2014, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767
12) Lockheed L-1049A/C/G Super Constellations (they were gradually being replaced by Lockheed Electras in this time frame)

23) Besides the Boeing 727-100 and 727-200, the only other long-range jet in the BN fleet at this time was the DC-8-62 ... these were used on the South American routes, although I did fly the LAX <--> SFO tag-ons for $25 each way in 1977 and 1978

But the question asked about BN operated flights, not BN-owned aircraft

Under a unique interchange service arrangement with British Airways and Air France (the aircraft registration was actually transferred at IAD), Braniff crews operated the domestic portions of DFW-IAD-LHR/CDG flights -- using Concorde
12) Correct! Eastern was also operating the Douglas DC-7 in air shuttle service; however, the primary aircraft was the Constellation at this time. All EA air shuttle flights did not have flight numbers; instead of a flight number, "A-S" was listed in in their June 1, 1965 system timetable for all air shuttle flights and the class of service was "U".

23) Well, Braniff was not operating the DC-8 on this route at this time. However, BN was operating the B727-100, B727-200 and the Concorde between DFW and IAD.

Last edited by jlemon; Jul 19, 2014 at 2:14 pm Reason: additional info
Old Jul 19, 2014, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
7) scheduled passenger air service here into Columbia (CAE) ... Delta is correct; however, the Boeing 757-200 is incorrect.
probably a DC-8-61/71

bonus quiz item:
31) All United 727 service into ATL at this time was being flown with B727-100 equipment. And there was something quite unique about all of these specific UA 727 flights into Atlanta. What was this unique feature that was not shared with other 727 aircraft in the UA fleet that were not serving ATL at this time? ...
the only thing that comes to mind would be that they were all operated with the handful of QC (quick-change, "convertible") models with the large cargo door on the left side ahead of the wing ... I don't recall UA ever operating mixed passenger/cargo flights with these birds (they would have appeared in the OAG with a "72M" equipment designator), but that doesn't mean it didn't happen
Old Jul 19, 2014, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

probably a DC-8-61/71

the only thing that comes to mind would be that they were all operated with the handful of QC (quick-change, "convertible") models with the large cargo door on the left side ahead of the wing ... I don't recall UA ever operating mixed passenger/cargo flights with these birds (they would have appeared in the OAG with a "72M" equipment designator), but that doesn't mean it didn't happen
7) Nope, it was not a stretched Super DC8.....

23) I do not think United operated the B727-100QC, either, in pax/freight combi service. In any case, this was not the unique feature so please guess again.....

Last edited by jlemon; Jul 19, 2014 at 2:15 pm Reason: additional info
Old Jul 19, 2014, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

24) In 1979, this airline was operating a milk run flight six days a week from International Falls, MN (INL) to Chicago O'Hare. Six intermediate stops were made en route. Name the air carrier, the equipment flown on the route and all six stops in the order in which they were made.
depending whether it was before or after the merger was consummated, this was either North Central or Republic; in either case the equipment was most likely a DC9, and for purposes of this guess I will say a Series 30 (D9S)

I'm pretty sure of stops 1,2,3, and 6
1- Hibbing (HIB)
2- Duluth (DLH)
3- Minneapolis/St Paul (MSP)
6- Milwaukee (MKE)

there are about six possible cities to accommodate the two stops between MSP and MKE ... herewith guess #1
4- La Crosse (LSE)
5- Madison (MSN)
Old Jul 19, 2014, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

7) scheduled passenger air service here into Columbia (CAE) ... Delta is correct; however, the Boeing 757-200 is incorrect.
probably a DC-8-61/71
7) Nope, it was not a stretched Super DC8.....
hmmmmm ... in that case I will offer the L-1011
Old Jul 19, 2014, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

depending whether it was before or after the merger was consummated, this was either North Central or Republic; in either case the equipment was most likely a DC9, and for purposes of this guess I will say a Series 30 (D9S)

1- Hibbing (HIB)
2- Duluth (DLH)
6- Milwaukee (MKE)

there are about six possible cities to accommodate the two stops between MSP and MKE ... herewith guess #1
4- La Crosse (LSE)
5- Madison (MSN)
24) Hibbing, Duluth, Minneapolis/St. Paul and Milwaukee are correct. La Crosse and Madison are incorrect. Also, the DC-9-30 is incorrect.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

[INDENT]hmmmmm ... in that case I will offer the L-1011
7) Nope, it was not the Lockheed L-1011......
Old Jul 19, 2014, 3:10 pm

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
Unhappy

24) In 1979, this airline was operating a milk run flight six days a week from International Falls, MN (INL) to Chicago O'Hare. Six intermediate stops were made en route. Name the air carrier, the equipment flown on the route and all six stops in the order in which they were made. Partially answered

1- Hibbing (HIB)
2- Duluth (DLH)
6- Milwaukee (MKE)

4- La Crosse (LSE)
5- Madison (MSN)
24) Hibbing, Duluth, Minneapolis/St. Paul and Milwaukee are correct. La Crosse and Madison are incorrect. Also, the DC-9-30 is incorrect.
I'll build on jrl's foundation with the following: North Central, with a DC9-50, INL-HIB-DLH-MSP-EAU-GRB-MKE-ORD -- whew!
Old Jul 19, 2014, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'll build on jrl's foundation with the following: North Central, with a DC9-50, INL-HIB-DLH-MSP-EAU-GRB-MKE-ORD -- whew!
24) Correct....with one minor difference! The airline was Republic, the successor to North Central, and this schedule is taken from the RC July 1, 1979 system timetable.

Now, I would not be surprised if NC operated this same schedule; however, I do not have access to a relevant North Central timetable in order to verify whether this is true. Of course, NC did operate the DC-9-50 prior to merging with Southern with the subsequent name change to Republic....
Old Jul 19, 2014, 4:47 pm

24) Correct....with one minor difference! The airline was Republic, the successor to North Central, and this schedule is taken from the RC July 1, 1979 system timetable.

Now, I would not be surprised if NC operated this same schedule; however, I do not have access to a relevant North Central timetable in order to verify whether this is true. Of course, NC did operate the DC-9-50 prior to merging with Southern with the subsequent name change to Republic....
You nailed it -- my source was a 6/1/79 OAG -- one month before the merger.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.