Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2014, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A

44. Not including Alaskan or Canadian airlines, identify ten airlines that were still operating DC-3s within the continental United States.
I believe we can add Northeast Airlines to this list.....

Weekend WX Report: very warm with clear, blue skies and low humidity at the present time here....air temp 83 F. Our little pup Miss Bella is quite content in the sun.

Time for a properly chilled IPA out on the back deck, I think, which shall assist me in my contemplation of possible yardwork.....
Old Oct 26, 2014, 3:04 pm

Programs: BA
The following three questions are based upon schedules published in 1959
23. If you were to fly a non-U.S. airline between Miami and Mexico City in 1959, which airline would you call?
Well I don't believe either of Aeronaves or Mexicana served Miami then, but there were other Mexican operators. Guest Airways ran a Super Connie from Mexico to Miami, Bermuda, Lisbon, Madrid and Paris, so that would be the one for me. Oh, in 1959 I wouldn't call, I'd be off down to the travel agency.

I'm surprised the flight didn't continue from Paris to Copenhagen, as SAS had a considerable investment in Guest, although as they never had a Connie in their fleet it would have been a bit of a challenge for the engineers on turnround ! As Connies apparently always were. On second thoughts, perhaps the SAS Director of Engineering told them to keep it away But I would have loved to have travelled in one.

I'll be interested to see if there are any other operators on the route as I don't have any OAGs for that era.

24. Every evening except Monday, this airline’s Super Constellation would depart New York’s Idlewild Airport and fly nonstop to Caracas. So uh, what airline was it...?
I would guess this was Venezuelan carrier LAV, which often traded as 'Aeropostal' (the "A" in it's initials). LAV and Avensa (Pan Am part-owned) were two competing national airlines whose international routes were merged into new operation Viasa in the early 1960s. LAV contributed its Super Connies to the new operation, which long had management and technical staff seconded from KLM. The two carriers remained for domestic flights, and as joint owners of Viasa.

20. This airline marketed its all-coach DC-6 domestic flights as “Silver Dollar Service”
I believe this was Northwest, who rigged out a few of their DC-6B in an all-coach 5-across configuration and operated Silver Dollar Coach flights at a reduced fare to normal. I noticed this in an old NW timetable a while ago. As I sort of do.

Because thereby hangs a tale.

Mr WHBM Senior was in the bank in the UK all his career. Some time in his junior days in the 1930s someone came in who had just returned from the USA, and dumped on the teller at the foreign exchange desk a whole lot of US dollars - including an 1878 silver dollar. He was interested in this, so put his own money into the account for it, and kept it. It's not in the finest condition, in fact it has a big dent in one edge which he used to tell small children was caused by Davy Crockett dodging a bullet with it ! But it became something of a lucky mascot for him and was always in his wallet - except that he used to give it to us kids for the day if we were going to go to the entrance examination for the big school, and such like.

Now when WW2 came along he went into the RAF "for the duration" as a navigator on the bombers, and did a Tour of Duty for 30 sorties across Europe. Afterwards, out to the Far East to India and Burma on DC-3s. At the end of all this, back to the bank. And on every flight made, the silver dollar went along. It's now passed down to me. When I used to skydive it went on every jump, in my boots. And when me flying G-WHBM followed, it went into a flight bag once again, of course, where it still is. When I used to go over to Florida on flying holidays, it had a brief return to its home country. So any aviation link with silver dollars sort of gets my attention. If you'd like to see it, get me to bring it along to an FT "do".

Here's the Bomber Command memorial at Hyde Park Corner in London. If you are passing, do give them, especially the navigator, a little wave. If you see a car going along Piccadilly with the driver doing the same, it's possibly me.

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/75594605

Last edited by WHBM; Oct 26, 2014 at 3:36 pm
Old Oct 27, 2014, 4:33 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Hyatt Platinum,Marriott Silver,Hilton Honors Gold
Originally Posted by jlemon
47. Over the years we’ve seen many airlines offer service between Miami and Ft. Lauderdale. Almost all of these flights were “add-on” flights, having originated elsewhere and stopping briefly at FLL before continuing on to MIA. In late 1966, only one airline provided scheduled service between Ft. Lauderdale and Miami. The fare was $2.50 one way. Identify the airline and the two aircraft types utilized on the route.

47. Yet another wild guess.....Eastern operating Boeing 720 and Convair 440 service between MIA and FLL.

The answer is Mackey Airlines! DC-4 and DC-6 service. Yes once I took the r.t. from FLL to MIA to go planespotting and yes paid $2.50 for the trip. And I was the only one on the flight!

Worldspan
Old Oct 27, 2014, 5:45 am

Originally Posted by worldspan
The answer is Mackey Airlines! DC-4 and DC-6 service.
However, a tip was

Ooooh - that is a bit wild! It was not Eastern, however. Here's a hint: Both of the aircraft utilized by this airline on this route were built in Long Beach......
and the DC4 and DC6 were built at the Douglas plant in Santa Monica (some DC4/C54 also at Chicago). In late 1966 only the DC8 and the first DC9s had been built at Long Beach. The only two carriers serving Ft Lauderdale who had both are Delta and Eastern. Eastern is already excluded, so that leaves Delta.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by WHBM

.......Thereby hangs a tale.

Mr WHBM Senior was in the bank in the UK all his career. Some time in his junior days in the 1930s someone came in who had just returned from the USA, and dumped on the teller at the foreign exchange desk a whole lot of US dollars - including an 1878 silver dollar. He was interested in this, so put his own money into the account for it, and kept it. It's not in the finest condition, in fact it has a big dent in one edge which he used to tell small children was caused by Davy Crockett dodging a bullet with it ! But it became something of a lucky mascot for him and was always in his wallet - except that he used to give it to us kids for the day if we were going to go to the entrance examination for the big school, and such like.

Now when WW2 came along he went into the RAF "for the duration" as a navigator on the bombers, and did a Tour of Duty for 30 sorties across Europe. Afterwards, out to the Far East to India and Burma on DC-3s. At the end of all this, back to the bank. And on every flight made, the silver dollar went along. It's now passed down to me. When I used to skydive it went on every jump, in my boots. And when me flying G-WHBM followed, it went into a flight bag once again, of course, where it still is. When I used to go over to Florida on flying holidays, it had a brief return to its home country. So any aviation link with silver dollars sort of gets my attention. If you'd like to see it, get me to bring it along to an FT "do".

Here's the Bomber Command memorial at Hyde Park Corner in London. If you are passing, do give them, especially the navigator, a little wave. If you see a car going along Piccadilly with the driver doing the same, it's possibly me.

One of these fine days we really should have an OTA&AQ get together in the UK and also view the full panorama of classic British airliners on display. Of course, WHBM, you probably remain a bit constrained on the family end of things currently but perhaps this situation will change with time.

Meantime, I'm maintaining my trove of Avios for such a journey to London (hopefully in First on BA).....and who knows? One may even be able to redeem DL SkyMiles at some point in the future for one way travel on Virgin in Upper Class - and I'd certainly like to check out Sir Richard's Clubhouse at LHR before departing to ATL, MIA or some other equally sexy US destination.

So until then, I shall look forward to viewing that very lucky coin. :-: :-:

Last edited by jlemon; Oct 27, 2014 at 7:43 am
Old Oct 27, 2014, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
44. Not including Alaskan or Canadian airlines, identify ten airlines that were still operating DC-3s within the continental United States

Per jrl767: Okay, here's my Top Ten list:

1.Central
2.Continental
3.Frontier
4.Lake Central
5.North Central
6.Ozark
7.Provincetown-Boston
8.Southern
9.Trans-Texas
10.West Coast

Pretty good, J. You've got nine of the ten (There are actually eleven but 10 is a nice round number...) So - one of them is wrong. Just to keep it interesting for you, can you determine which one is wrong and which one (or two if you like) are missing from the above list?
HINT: Both as yet unlisted airlines operated exclusively east of the Mississippi

Per jlemon: I believe we can add Northeast Airlines to this list.....

I believe you can, JL! Now then, any thoughts on the single incorrect entry from the list above as well as the other DC-3 operator not listed?

Per jrl767: I'll speculate that PBA was an erroneous guess

Right on, J!

The answer to the other airline lurks somewhere in the subsequent posts

Last edited by Seat 2A; Oct 27, 2014 at 10:48 am
Old Oct 27, 2014, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
I'll speculate that PBA was an erroneous guess
Old Oct 27, 2014, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
WHBM to the rescue!

Originally Posted by WHBM
23. If you were to fly a non-U.S. airline between Miami and Mexico City in 1959, which airline would you call?

Well I don't believe either of Aeronaves or Mexicana served Miami then, but there were other Mexican operators. Guest Airways ran a Super Connie from Mexico to Miami, Bermuda, Lisbon, Madrid and Paris, so that would be the one for me. Oh, in 1959 I wouldn't call, I'd be off down to the travel agency.

I'm surprised the flight didn't continue from Paris to Copenhagen, as SAS had a considerable investment in Guest, although as they never had a Connie in their fleet it would have been a bit of a challenge for the engineers on turnround ! As Connies apparently always were. On second thoughts, perhaps the SAS Director of Engineering told them to keep it away But I would have loved to have travelled in one.

I'll be interested to see if there are any other operators on the route as I don't have any OAGs for that era.

24. Every evening except Monday, this airline’s Super Constellation would depart New York’s Idlewild Airport and fly nonstop to Caracas.

I would guess this was Venezuelan carrier LAV, which often traded as 'Aeropostal' (the "A" in it's initials). LAV and Avensa (Pan Am part-owned) were two competing national airlines whose international routes were merged into new operation Viasa in the early 1960s. LAV contributed its Super Connies to the new operation, which long had management and technical staff seconded from KLM. The two carriers remained for domestic flights, and as joint owners of Viasa.

20. This airline marketed its all-coach DC-6 domestic flights as “Silver Dollar Service”

I believe this was Northwest, who rigged out a few of their DC-6B in an all-coach 5-across configuration and operated Silver Dollar Coach flights at a reduced fare to normal. I noticed this in an old NW timetable a while ago. As I sort of do.

Because thereby hangs a tale.

All of the above answers are correct, and per well established WHBM custom, all of the answers (and your silver dollar tale) read like a good book. Thank you.

When I get home I will check my 1959 OAG (recently purchased on Ebay for a mere $49.00) to look into those Guest routings onward from Miami
Old Oct 27, 2014, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Worldspan
47. Over the years we’ve seen many airlines offer service between Miami and Ft. Lauderdale. Almost all of these flights were “add-on” flights, having originated elsewhere and stopping briefly at FLL before continuing on to MIA. In late 1966, only one airline provided scheduled service between Ft. Lauderdale and Miami. The fare was $2.50 one way. Identify the airline and the two aircraft types utilized on the route.

The answer is Mackey Airlines! DC-4 and DC-6 service. Yes once I took the r.t. from FLL to MIA to go plane spotting and yes paid $2.50 for the trip. And I was the only one on the flight!

Mackey is correct! Per the 1966 OAG I referenced, Mackey was the only airline showing service on this route (including "Conditional Stopover" flights by other airlines, of which none were shown). Only DC-3 and DC-6 service was offered on the route. All of these flights either originated from or continued on to Bahamian destinations.

Per WHBM: The DC4 and DC6 were built at the Douglas plant in Santa Monica (some DC4/C54 also at Chicago). In late 1966 only the DC8 and the first DC9s had been built at Long Beach. The only two carriers serving Ft Lauderdale who had both are Delta and Eastern. Eastern is already excluded, so that leaves Delta. .

Who knows how old those aircraft were that Mackey was flying were in 1966, or at which plant they were built but I thank you for the correction. In later years, many other airlines showed service (including "Conditional Stopover" flights) on the MIA-FLL route. I have flown it twice - once aboard an Eastern A300 (that continued on to JFK) and the other time point to point aboard a Midway Express 737-200.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Oct 27, 2014 at 10:45 am
Old Oct 27, 2014, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Here are the remaining unanswered questions, plus a few more bonus questions......

10. In late 1981, this airline offered the only nonstop turboprop flights between New York’s JFK and Boston. Identify both the airline and the aircraft flown.
HINT: The airplane was a twin engine turboprop carrying more than 18 passengers

43. In late 1966, only one nonstop flight per day was offered between Denver and Houston. Identify the airline and aircraft type that operate this flight.

48. June 1963, this U.S. airline served 46 cities in 10 countries and was the 10th largest airline in the world.

49. The Boeing 720 was designed to offer increased performance on short-to-medium range routes. Per schedules published in early 1965, what was the longest route operated by the 720 within the continental United States? Which airline operated it?

The following six questions are based upon schedules published in the first quarter of 1965

50. Only one airline offers service of any type between Denver and Oakland. Thankfully for those in a hurry, that service is by way of a nonstop flight. Identify the airline and the aircraft utilized on this daily flight.

51. Only one airline flies nonstop between Buffalo and Pittsburgh. It operates two different types of aircraft on the route. Anyone care to provide more detail? A N S W E R E D

52. You need to fly from Shreveport to New Orleans. Two airlines offer multi-stop flights but only one airline offers nonstop service with two flights each day. Name the airline and the equipment used. A N S W E R E D

53. If you want to fly on a jet between Kingston, Jamaica and San Juan, PR only one airline fits the bill with twice weekly service (Tue/Thu). Which airline would this be and what type of jet would you be flying upon? For a cyber pat on the back, identify the only other airline and aircraft (Propeller) that offered nonstop flights on this route.

54. TWA’s not an airline we’ve often seen associated with mileage run questions on this thread, so how about this one for starters: In early 1965 TWA operated an 8 stop flight between Boston and Kansas City. It departed Boston each morning at 6:35am and arrived at Kansas City twelve hours later at 5:23pm. Breakfast, a snack and luncheon would be served enroute. Can you identify the stops and the aircraft utilized?

55. Although three airlines provided service between Boston and Pittsburgh, only one did so nonstop with two daily departures – one of them operated with a jet and one with a prop. Identify the airline and the aircraft used. A N S W E R E D

56. Shortly after your flight has leveled out, you decide to take a stroll back to the Promenade Bar for cocktails and camaraderie before lunch. Name the airline and aircraft upon which you’d be flying.

57. Following a delicious luncheon 38000 feet over New Mexico and Arizona, you decide to while away an hour or two in the International Lounge. Name the airline and aircraft upon which you’d be flying.

58. What airline and aircraft would you be flying upon if you were enjoying the company of your fellow travelers in the “Cloud Club”?

59. You’re served a delicious steak dinner in First Class while enjoying Petroleum Club service aboard this airline. Can you identify the airline, the unique route and the type of aircraft “Petroleum Service” was offered upon?

60. Eastern Airlines was renowned for its Golden Falcon Service in the 1960s. In the 1980s, another airline was offering a very well regarded inflight service also known as Golden Falcon Service. Which airline was it? A N S W E R E D

61. Upon what airline and aircraft would you find a lounge called the “Teahouse of the Sky”?

62. You’re sipping rum based cocktails in the Oceania Lounge. What airline and aircraft would you be flying upon?

63. A wide, comfortable seat awaits you in the California Room. Name the airline and aircraft upon which you'd be flying.

64. Name ten U.S. airlines that have offered 747 service between the continental United States and Hawaii. A N S W E R E D

65. This U.S. airline (which operated jets and served over a dozen cities) had "International" in its name but never flew any scheduled international flights. It's been just over 25 years since the airline filed for bankruptcy and was later liquidated. A N S W E R E D

66. It's 1967 and you're enjoying a cold beer and a good conversation around the table with your fellow travelers in the Voyageur Lounge. Which airline and aircraft would you be flying upon?

67. Your boarding pass indicates that you are seated in the Kabuki Room. What airline and aircraft are you about to board?

68. If you've booked a seat in King Solomon Class, what airline would you be flying?

69. It's twenty-two minutes into the flight and you've just received a nicely chilled glass of top flight Champagne. Now you can begin to truly relax in anticipation of the wonderful Blue Diamond service you'll enjoy over the next ten hours to London. What airline are you flying?

70. What airline would you be flying if you were seated in a Kosmo Suite?

71. As a First Class passenger on this airline, you’re entitled to relax in the Golden Wing Club prior to your flight. Which airline are you flying?

Last edited by Seat 2A; Oct 29, 2014 at 9:50 pm
Old Oct 27, 2014, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
54. TWA’s not an airline we’ve often seen associated with mileage run questions on this thread, so how about this one for starters: In early 1965 TWA operated an 8 stop flight between Boston and Kansas City. It departed Boston each morning at 6:35am and arrived at Kansas City twelve hours later at 5:23pm. Breakfast, a snack and luncheon would be served enroute. Can you identify the stops and the aircraft utilized?
54 - TW began operating their DC-9-10 fleet ~1967, so this was doubtless one of their L-749 Constellation milk runs ... I can easily name eight candidate stops, but I'm willing to bet that only four or five are going to be correct ... let's try these:
  1. Hartford (BDL)
  2. New York (JFK)
  3. Pittsburgh (PIT)
  4. Columbus (CMH)
  5. Dayton (DAY)
  6. Indianapolis (IND)
  7. Chicago (ORD)
  8. St Louis (STL)
55. Although three airlines provided service between Boston and Pittsburgh, only one did so nonstop with two daily departures – one of them operated with a jet and one with a prop. Identify the airline and the aircraft used.
55. - most likely TWA again ... most likely with my two favorite classics, a Convair 880 and a Lockheed Constellation

60. Eastern Airlines was renowned for its Golden Falcon Service in the 1960s. In the 1980s, another airline was offering a very well regarded inflight service also known as Golden Falcon Service. Which airline was it?
60 - this was Gulf Air (of Bahrain)

and that's it for today ...

Last edited by jrl767; Oct 27, 2014 at 11:51 am
Old Oct 27, 2014, 12:02 pm

travel on Virgin in Upper Class - and I'd certainly like to check out Sir Richard's Clubhouse at LHR
Ah. I haven't been in the Clubhouse for years. Colleagues in the office go for Virgin, but I've always liked BA.

However, when I was in there they still had the model railway, a simple circle at waist height which ran in front of the bar, then under it and among the bottles behind. It was not running when I entered and had a drink. Shortly, however, a family entered with two small boys and the barman obligingly started it off. Unfortunately, working in rather a confined space, he had forgotten he had placed a large china dish of peanuts on the tracks on his side. It struck this, the locomotive was derailed, while the peanut dish fell to the floor, was smashed to atoms, and the peanuts rolled into every corner imaginable.

I had to leave because I was in danger of not being able to control my laughter !

Anyone else remember the model railway in there ? I'm told it's gone now.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

52. You need to fly from Shreveport to New Orleans. Two airlines operate multi-stop flights but only one airline offers nonstop service with two flights a day. Name the airline and the equipment used.

65. This U.S. airline (which operated jets and served over a dozen U.S. cities) had "International" in its name but never flew any scheduled international flights. It's been just over 25 years since the airline filed for bankruptcy and was later liquidated.

52. This sure sounds like good old Braniff International which was only operating two flights a day into New Orleans at this time. Both flights originated in Minneapolis/St. Paul and then made a number of stops en route as they headed south for Louisiana. Southbound routings may have been MSP-OMA-MKC-TUL-FSM-SHV-MSY and MSP-DSM-MKC-TUL-SHV-MSY.

But what about the equipment? Well, Braniff International had been operating Douglas DC-6 aircraft on these north-south services.....however, by 1965 BN had introduced the BAC One-Eleven into its fleet which the airline called the "Fastback Jet". Thus, I believe that New Orleans and Shreveport were among the first destinations in the Braniff system to receive new BAC One-Eleven service. The airline would later operate Boeing 727-200 equipment nonstop between New Orleans and Shreveport as part of the above referenced north-south routes following the phase out of the One-Eleven from the BN fleet.

BTW, I remember making an en route stop in Fort Smith (FSM) while on board a Braniff operated BAC One-Eleven in first class back in 1972. The airfield had a military component at that time which gave me an opportunity for my flrst look at USAF F-105 "Thunderchief" supersonic fighter-bombers. I waved at the Air Force guys as we taxied by and they waved back.....

65. Ah, has it really been 25 years since Sunworld International Airways was in operation? I first encountered them while working for Dash Air, a commuter operator based in southern California, when I was assisting with the start up of new service to Ontario (ONT). Sunworld was flying DC-9-10 (I think they may have been series -14 models) equipment between Ontario and Las Vegas among other routes into LAS. The airline would later operate DC-9-30, B737-300 and I believe even the BAe 146-100 with the latter aircraft being formerly flown by Royal West if my memory serves me correctly. And I also remember becoming friends with a very cute young lady who worked for Sunworld at ONT......
Old Oct 27, 2014, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767
54. TWA’s not an airline we’ve often seen associated with mileage run questions on this thread, so how about this one for starters: In early 1965 TWA operated an 8 stop flight between Boston and Kansas City. It departed Boston each morning at 6:35am and arrived at Kansas City twelve hours later at 5:23pm. Breakfast, a snack and luncheon were served enroute. Can you identify the stops and the aircraft utilized?

TW began operating their DC-9-10 fleet ~1967, so this was doubtless one of their L-749 Constellation milk runs ... I can easily name eight candidate stops, but I'm willing to bet that only four or five are going to be correct ... let's try these:
  1. Hartford (BDL)
  2. New York (JFK)
  3. Pittsburgh (PIT)
  4. Columbus (CMH)
  5. Dayton (DAY)
  6. Indianapolis (IND)
  7. Chicago (ORD)
  8. St Louis (STL)

Not a bad start, J. ^ The highlighted cities are correct. They are also in the correct order, so we're now looking to find the first four stops...

55. Although three airlines provided service between Boston and Pittsburgh, only one did so nonstop with two daily departures – one of them operated with a jet and one with a prop. Identify the airline and the aircraft used.

Most likely TWA again ... most likely with my two favorite classics, a Convair 880 and a Lockheed Constellation.

Right, you are! Although I never got to fly a Constellation of any stripe, I well remember my second flight on a TWA 880 between Denver and New York JFK. We had quite a tailwind and the Captain made note of the fact that at one point our ground speed was over 700mph. While most of my fellow passengers were likely quite pleased that we arrived into JFK 40 minutes early, (This was quite a rarity given that flight's arrival coinciding with many of the inbound flights from Europe. Holding patterns were not uncommon...) I remember being distinctly disappointed.

60. Eastern Airlines was renowned for its Golden Falcon Service in the 1960s. In the 1980s, another airline was offering a very well regarded inflight service also known as Golden Falcon Service. Which airline was it?

This was Gulf Air (of Bahrain)

It's your day, J! Gulf Air it was with dining for four at a center table aboard its L-1011s. Even so, I would rather have flown one of their VC10s...

Last edited by Seat 2A; Oct 27, 2014 at 6:59 pm
Old Oct 27, 2014, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

52. You need to fly from Shreveport to New Orleans. Two airlines operate multi-stop flights but only one airline offers nonstop service with two flights a day. Name the airline and the equipment used.

This sure sounds like good old Braniff International which was only operating two flights a day into New Orleans at this time. Both flights originated in Minneapolis/St. Paul and then made a number of stops en route as they headed south for Louisiana. Southbound routings may have been MSP-OMA-MKC-TUL-FSM-SHV-MSY and MSP-DSM-MKC-TUL-SHV-MSY.

But what about the equipment? Well, Braniff International had been operating Douglas DC-6 aircraft on these north-south services.....however, by 1965 BN had introduced the BAC One-Eleven into its fleet which the airline called the "Fastback Jet". Thus, I believe that New Orleans and Shreveport were among the first destinations in the Braniff system to receive new BAC One-Eleven service. The airline would later operate Boeing 727-200 equipment nonstop between New Orleans and Shreveport as part of the above referenced north-south routes following the phase out of the One-Eleven from the BN fleet.

BTW, I remember making an en route stop in Fort Smith (FSM) while on board a Braniff operated BAC One-Eleven in first class back in 1972. The airfield had a military component at that time which gave me an opportunity for my flrst look at USAF F-105 "Thunderchief" supersonic fighter-bombers. I waved at the Air Force guys as we taxied by and they waved back.....

You are spot on with Braniff, JL, but per the schedule I was referencing (February 1965 as I recall) BN was still operating the DC-6. Regardless, I envy you that flight aboard a Braniff BAC-111, in First Class no less. Although I never flew Braniff into or out of Louisiana, in the summer of 1976 I flew aboard a two tone orange 727-200 on the milk run between Memphis and Dallas (MEM-LIT-FSM-TUL-OKC-DFW).

65. This U.S. airline (which operated jets and served over a dozen U.S. cities) had "International" in its name but never flew any scheduled international flights. It's been just over 25 years since the airline filed for bankruptcy and was later liquidated.[/B]

65. Ah, has it really been 25 years since Sunworld International Airways was in operation? I first encountered them while working for Dash Air, a commuter operator based in southern California, when I was assisting with the start up of new service to Ontario (ONT). Sunworld was flying DC-9-10 (I think they may have been series -14 models) equipment between Ontario and Las Vegas among other routes into LAS. The airline would later operate DC-9-30, B737-300 and I believe even the BAe 146-100 with the latter aircraft being formerly flown by Royal West if my memory serves me correctly. And I also remember becoming friends with a very cute young lady who worked for Sunworld at ONT......

Sunworld it is! I remember hearing something about the BAe-146 operation but do you know if any 146s ever actually flew for Sunworld or were ever painted in its colors? My sole flight aboard Sunworld was in October of 1984 aboard an ex-Continental DC-9-15 (N8961) that had served Air California and Texas International before wearing Sunworld's livery.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.