FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.
View Single Post
Old Oct 27, 2014, 11:44 am
jrl767
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
54. TWA’s not an airline we’ve often seen associated with mileage run questions on this thread, so how about this one for starters: In early 1965 TWA operated an 8 stop flight between Boston and Kansas City. It departed Boston each morning at 6:35am and arrived at Kansas City twelve hours later at 5:23pm. Breakfast, a snack and luncheon would be served enroute. Can you identify the stops and the aircraft utilized?
54 - TW began operating their DC-9-10 fleet ~1967, so this was doubtless one of their L-749 Constellation milk runs ... I can easily name eight candidate stops, but I'm willing to bet that only four or five are going to be correct ... let's try these:
  1. Hartford (BDL)
  2. New York (JFK)
  3. Pittsburgh (PIT)
  4. Columbus (CMH)
  5. Dayton (DAY)
  6. Indianapolis (IND)
  7. Chicago (ORD)
  8. St Louis (STL)
55. Although three airlines provided service between Boston and Pittsburgh, only one did so nonstop with two daily departures – one of them operated with a jet and one with a prop. Identify the airline and the aircraft used.
55. - most likely TWA again ... most likely with my two favorite classics, a Convair 880 and a Lockheed Constellation

60. Eastern Airlines was renowned for its Golden Falcon Service in the 1960s. In the 1980s, another airline was offering a very well regarded inflight service also known as Golden Falcon Service. Which airline was it?
60 - this was Gulf Air (of Bahrain)

and that's it for today ...

Last edited by jrl767; Oct 27, 2014 at 11:51 am