Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2019, 11:22 am

Programs: BA
31. Just to help, I actually flew with them, London Gatwick to Palma a couple of years before the question. The inbound aircraft arrived from Munich. It was April.

*** Aha ! I see it just got answered. The clue about being inbound from a winter sports origin, and departing to a summer Mediterranean destination, is they were part of a major holiday company, Horizon Holidays. They had gone through various airlines, they extensively used Britannia previously, then started their own gig for some years. Eventually Thomson, owner of Britannia, bought the whole operation out. They were quite an operation in their time, even had a couple of A300 by the end. Flight code KG if I remember correctly.

When I worked in Manchester in the early 1980s their crews always stayed in the Britannia Hotel (coincidental name but no connection) across the street from us. Crew were two pilots and three flight attendants, they would not have any specific transport out to the airport but quite simply just fitted in a standard Black Cab off the front of the hotel, two pilots on the rear-facing tip-up seats and the three girls (always) in the back bench seat. Brown uniforms for the cabin crew, gold/orange/brown (well, it was the 1980s) striped ties for the pilots. I've got a photo of the 737-200 at Palma somewhere.

Last edited by WHBM; Mar 1, 2019 at 11:39 am
Old Mar 1, 2019, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Well I'll be darned! A quick check of my Boeing log shows I logged four flights aboard N2818W in 1978 and 1982.

Additionally, wasn't there another TransOcean Airways (Airlines?) that was Oakland based back in the 40s an 50s? I'm pretty sure I have a postcard of one of their Boeing 377s
Indeed, there was another air carrier using the same name: Transocean Air Lines which was Oakland-based. In 1958, Transocean was operating Lockheed Constellation service (I believe they flew both the L-749A Constellation and the L-1049G Super Constellation) with nonstop flights between Oakland and Honolulu as well as nonstop between Burbank and Honolulu both operated several times a week. In addition, Transocean was operating Oakland - Honolulu - Wake Island - Guam - Okinawa service and also Hartford - New York Idlewild - Chicago Midway - Burbank - Oakland flights (Las Vegas was a flag stop on this latter service). Transocean then introduced service with the Boeing 377 Stratocruiser.

Back to New Iberia, Louisiana-based Gulf Air Transport which was subsequently renamed TransOcean Airways before ceasing all operations and going out of business....

In addition to the Boeing 727-200, Gulf Air Transport also operated several Boeing 727-100 aircraft. Here's a photo of one of them at LAX which I believe had been delivered new to National Airlines:

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Gulf...sF0RR/05zohvNa

Gulf Air Transport also operated B727-100 aircraft which had previously been delivered new to TWA and United.

By the time the company had changed its name to TransOcean Airways, it was operating a Super DC8-71 which had been previously flown by United. Here's a photo which was taken at BOS:

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Tran...MwcoEoXe4ANw6A

The air carrier operated Super DC8-63 equipment as well during its existence.
Seat 2A likes this.

Last edited by jlemon; Mar 1, 2019 at 4:42 pm
Old Mar 1, 2019, 11:34 am

Programs: FB Platinum
Originally Posted by WHBM
31. Just to help, I actually flew with them, London Gatwick to Palma a couple of years before the question. The inbound aircraft arrived from Munich. It was April.

*** Aha ! I see it just got answered. The clue about being inbound from a winter sports origin, and departing to a summer Mediterranean one, is they were part of a major holiday company, Horizon Holidays. They had gone through various airlines where they concentrated on one, they extensively used Britannia previously, then started their own gig for some years. Eventually Thomson, owner of Britannia, bought the whole operation out. They were quite an operation in their time, even had a couple of A300 by the end.
Rather embarrassingly I have flown with them to Palma too, this question has been bugging me for days and it shouldn't have. I think I was pretty out of it for most of the 80s ;-)
strickerj likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by rosensfole
31. It’s been a dreary winter in the tiny village of Little Bollington in Cheshire, England. Perhaps a trip down to Spain’s beautiful Costa Blanca is in order. From nearby Manchester Airport, there’s a new airline that operates a single weekly scheduled nonstop departing MAN each Saturday. Best of all, there’ll be no dreaded seatback catering such as found on some of those dreadful charters. Identify the airline and the aircraft type it operates.
It's not Cal Air, nor is it a DC-10. The aircraft, powered by JT8D engines, operates in an all-economy class configuration. The airline begins with a vowel and ends in a consonant

The clue did it - of course! Orion was the airline in that case. Now what was the aircraft... don't think they had many so I'll try B737. They were mostly charter weren't they?

Bingo! I believe Orion got its start supporting package holidays for one of the many tour operators sending chilly Brits to warmer climes on the Mediterranean coast. I should imagine our man in London can shed considerably more light on Orion. Indeed, I see that he already has! Thanks, WHBM ^ I do know via my postcard collection that Orion flew 737-200s, -300s and A300s. Here's the schedule:

Orion Airways KG 202 Manchester (MAN) 1240p-320p Alicante (ALC) Boeing 737-200 Sat. only

Last edited by Seat 2A; Mar 1, 2019 at 12:23 pm
Old Mar 1, 2019, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
And just for fun on a Friday afternoon as we roll into a :-: Mardi Gras :-: party weekend here in south Louisiana, here's a photo of a "smiling" BAC One-Eleven which was taken at Palm Springs (PSP) some years ago (and nope, it wasn't operated by PSA)......

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Unti...Eleven/2211544
Old Mar 1, 2019, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
19. In 1987, if you want to fly direct from most anywhere in Florida to the state of Maine, you typically call Delta Airlines. You’ve never been a big fan of Delta though, and so you couldn’t be happier to discover an airline you’ve never heard of offering an affordable one stop direct flight – indeed it’s the only service nonstop or direct – between Orlando and Portland. Book it, Danno! Identify the airline and aircraft you’ll be flying aboard, not to mention the aircraft type.
It's not People Express via EWR
19- how about a red-tailed DC-9-30 belonging to New York Air, putting down at Washington Dulles (IAD) on the way
Old Mar 1, 2019, 5:04 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by jlemon
here's a photo of a "smiling" BAC One-Eleven which was taken at Palm Springs (PSP) some years ago (and nope, it wasn't operated by PSA)....
It's an old American Airlines one from 1966, sold off after only three years to corporate use, it lasted well after the photo was taken, until 2004.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WHBM
It's an old American Airlines one from 1966, sold off after only three years to corporate use, it lasted well after the photo was taken, until 2004.

Thought it might be, what with the 401AK designation......and I will always remember landing in Tulsa on an intermediate stop en route from MEM to DAL back in the early 1970's and seeing what appeared to be the entire American Airlines BAC One-Eleven fleet parked on the ramp adjacent to the AA maintenance facility at TUL. AA had just retired their One-Elevens from service. I was on board another BAC One-Eleven that day which was being operated by Braniff International (in first class, no less, courtesy of the coach compartment on this BN flight being fully booked and my 50% discounted "youth pass" enabling me to bumped up to F).

Here's another BAC One-Eleven photo, this one taken in the UK back in 1965. I believe the aircraft was brand new at the time and getting ready to be delivered to American....

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Amer...CFF2g6FZqMMGm7
Old Mar 2, 2019, 7:42 am

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
Let's finish these off!
1. It's the winter of 1986 and you’re on Koror where it’s been a great week of diving and exploring submerged WWII ships. Now it’s time to return to Honolulu. Surprisingly, Air Mike only serves Honolulu via a connection in Guam. But wait! There’s another option – a 2-stop direct flight that just happens to be leaving Sunday afternoon. Identify the airline, aircraft and the two enroute stops.
It was not Air Nauru, but the second stop was on Majuro. The aircraft offers both First and Economy Class
This question brings back memories of an interesting trip I made in 2011 on UA's eight-stop island-hopper (HNL-MAJ-KWA-KSA-PNI-TKK-GUM-ROR-MNL), and since none of the experts have replied I did a bit of research and believe it was South Pacific Island Airways (with the unexpected code HK) using a 707, flying ROR-GUM-MAJ-HNL.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl767
19. In 1987, if you want to fly direct from most anywhere in Florida to the state of Maine, you typically call Delta Airlines. You’ve never been a big fan of Delta though, and so you couldn’t be happier to discover an airline you’ve never heard of offering an affordable one stop direct flight – indeed it’s the only service nonstop or direct – between Orlando and Portland. Book it, Danno! Identify the airline and aircraft you’ll be flying aboard, not to mention the aircraft type.
It's not People Express via EWR

How about a red-tailed DC-9-30 belonging to New York Air, putting down at Washington Dulles (IAD) on the way

I like it. But no - it wasn't New York Air and its complimentary inflight bagels. The flight did however stop at Washington Dulles. Armed with this knowledge, it should be easy to solve this one...
Old Mar 2, 2019, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by miniliq
1. It's the winter of 1986 and you’re on Koror where it’s been a great week of diving and exploring submerged WWII ships. Now it’s time to return to Honolulu. Surprisingly, Air Mike only serves Honolulu via a connection in Guam. But wait! There’s another option – a 2-stop direct flight that just happens to be leaving Sunday afternoon. Identify the airline, aircraft and the two enroute stops.
It was not Air Nauru, but the second stop was on Majuro. The aircraft offers both First and Economy Class

This question brings back memories of an interesting trip I made in 2011 on UA's eight-stop island-hopper (HNL-MAJ-KWA-KSA-PNI-TKK-GUM-ROR-MNL), and since none of the experts have replied I did a bit of research and believe it was South Pacific Island Airways (with the unexpected code HK) using a 707, flying ROR-GUM-MAJ-HNL.

mini! Good to see you again! Thanks for solving the mystery of this Koror to Honolulu flight. The airline, equipment and routing are all spot on ^

South Pacific Island Airways HK 410 Koror (ROR) 325p-615p Guam (GUM) 710p-1245a (MAJ) 115a-710a Honolulu (HNL) Boeing 707-320 Sun only
Old Mar 2, 2019, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

And then there were just five..

The following quiz items have a time line of the spring of 1987....

14. It used to be if you wanted to fly from Pittsburgh to Toronto, you’d give Nordair or Eastern a call. These days, Eastern still serves the route with a pair of 757s but Nordair has been replaced by another airline. Identify that airline and the equipment it operates on its two flights between Pittsburgh and Toronto.
A N S W E R E D

A N S W E R E D

21. It’s a great life working as a bartender for the rich and famous in Vail, Colorado. Now that the season is over, it’s time to relocate to Las Vegas and your summer job bartending at the MGM Grand. Thankfully the transition is made easier this year with the addition of a new once weekly 1-stop direct flight between Vail’s Eagle County Regional Airport and Las Vegas. Identify the airline, aircraft and enroute stop if you please.
It's not America West via PHX

22. What fun! You’ve just received a call from jlemon to join him and three friends on a sailing trip from Aruba to St. Thomas, Virgin Islands. From your home in Wilmington, Delaware you could fly out of either New York or Washington, DC as both airports are essentially equidistant from your home and accessible by train. You settle for a well timed departure out of JFK aboard a new airline that offers affordable 1 stop flights each Saturday and Sunday to Aruba. Breakfast and lunch will be served enroute. Identify the airline, aircraft and enroute stop please.

23. Is this your lucky trip or what? A quick review of the schedules between St. Thomas and Washington Dulles has revealed a convenient afternoon 1-stop direct flight that ticks all the boxes: It’s more affordable than the traditional airlines flying the route, it offers First Class service and a dinner is served enroute. What airline and aircraft will you be flying upon and where will you stop along the way?

Last edited by Seat 2A; Mar 3, 2019 at 7:09 am
Old Mar 2, 2019, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's not People Express via EWR or a New York Air DC-9-30. The flight did stop at IAD
19. Well, what the heck......let's try Continental operating a B737-300 MCO-IAD-PWM.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
It's not People Express via EWR or a New York Air DC-9-30. The flight did stop at IAD
Originally Posted by jlemon
19. Well, what the heck......let's try Continental operating a B737-300 MCO-IAD-PWM.
never heard of CO?

a recent post in the "15 Defunct Airlines You Might Not Remember" thread reminded me that Presidential Airways (which I do in fact remember) operated a hub at IAD in the mid 1980s ... their fleet consisted of the BAe 146 and the 737-200, so this one will be closed out whether or not my guess is correct ... 737
Old Mar 2, 2019, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767
never heard of CO?
Oops.....must have been the effects of that extra special, Mardi Gras style Cajun Bloody Mary.......

Laissez les bon temps rouler!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.