Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2019, 1:13 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by Seat 2A

The following quiz items have a time line of the spring of 1987....

14. It used to be if you wanted to fly from Pittsburgh to Toronto, you’d give Nordair or Eastern a call. These days, Eastern still serves the route with a pair of 757s but Nordair has been replaced by another airline. Identify that airline and the equipment it operates on its two flights between Pittsburgh and Toronto.
I think Nordair had been absorbed into CP Air by then, so it would be a CP flight.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by jlemon
Laissez les bon temps rouler!
As in L'auto roule sur la route
They were the very first words on page 1 of our French language book at school. Still evidently recalled after all those years.

The relevance of WHBM's teenage school French classes to this thread are not as irrelevant as you may think, for those (very) long participants here, who recall this one, from what I am dismayed to find was 7 years ago ... yikes ! :

Old Mar 2, 2019, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by WHBM

The relevance of WHBM's teenage school French classes to this thread are not as irrelevant as you may think, for those (very) long participants here, who recall this one, from what I am dismayed to find was 7 years ago ... yikes ! :

Ah yes.....I was young then. And I was younger still when I traveled by commercial air carrier for the very first time. We are now approaching the anniversary of that flight on board a Lockheed L-188 Electra operated by Pacific Southwest Airlines from LAX to SFO. That was 56 years ago. Talk about yikes!

Speaking of air travel (we have been known to discuss that topic here, of course), I am heartened to see that Southwest 8008, a charter flight operated with a B737-700, just landed safely at the Yampa Valley Airport (HDN) in Colorado. The weather was interesting when the airplane touched down with 0.8 mile visibility and light snow. On board the aircraft were Lady K, her sister and their girlfriends all off on a big skiing trip. Yours truly elected to stay home, take care of our little pup and big kitty, and attempt to not get into too much trouble.

So citizens of Steamboat Springs, beware. A bunch of wild Cajun women are about to descend upon you.
strickerj likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 10:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
And then there were just five..

19. In 1987, if you want to fly direct from most anywhere in Florida to the state of Maine, you typically call Delta Airlines. You’ve never been a big fan of Delta though, and so you couldn’t be happier to discover an airline you’ve never heard of offering an affordable one stop direct flight – indeed it’s the only service nonstop or direct – between Orlando and Portland. Book it, Danno! Identify the airline and aircraft you’ll be flying aboard, not to mention the aircraft type.
It's not People Express via EWR or a New York Air DC-9-30. The flight did stop at IAD

21. It’s a great life working as a bartender for the rich and famous in Vail, Colorado. Now that the season is over, it’s time to relocate to Las Vegas and your summer job bartending at the MGM Grand. Thankfully the transition is made easier this year with the addition of a new once weekly 1-stop direct flight between Vail’s Eagle County Regional Airport and Las Vegas. Identify the airline, aircraft and enroute stop if you please.
It's not America West via PHX
19. I was going to answer Presidential Airways but then I checked if there were any responses today and there is one for Presidential.

21. Continental Express, operated by Rocky Mountain Airways, Dash 7 Eagle County - Aspen - Las Vegas. Just a guess.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 11:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
19. In 1987, if you want to fly direct from most anywhere in Florida to the state of Maine, you typically call Delta Airlines. You’ve never been a big fan of Delta though, and so you couldn’t be happier to discover an airline you’ve never heard of offering an affordable one stop direct flight – indeed it’s the only service nonstop or direct – between Orlando and Portland. Book it, Danno! Identify the airline and aircraft you’ll be flying aboard, not to mention the aircraft type.
It's not People Express via EWR or a New York Air DC-9-30. The flight did stop at IAD

Well, what the heck......let's try Continental operating a B737-300 MCO-IAD-PWM

(Gasp!) It was not Continental, nor was it a 737-300. Please, guess again!
Old Mar 2, 2019, 11:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl767

A recent post in the "15 Defunct Airlines You Might Not Remember" thread reminded me that Presidential Airways (which I do in fact remember) operated a hub at IAD in the mid 1980s ... their fleet consisted of the BAe 146 and the 737-200, so this one will be closed out whether or not my guess is correct ...

Presidential Airways is correct! Here's the schedule:

Presidential Airways XV 162 Orlando (MCO) 515p-725p Snack Washington (IAD) 820p-1000p Portland (PWM) 737-200 Mo Th Fr
Old Mar 2, 2019, 11:51 pm

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
Ah yes.....I was young then. And I was younger still when I traveled by commercial air carrier for the very first time. We are now approaching the anniversary of that flight on board a Lockheed L-188 Electra operated by Pacific Southwest Airlines from LAX to SFO. That was 56 years ago. Talk about yikes!
Perhaps we've discussed this before, but I have to compete with you jlemon, because it's the 60th anniversary of my first commercial flight aboard a Lockheed L1049 Super Constellation operated by Trans-Canada Airlines from Edmonton (YEG) to Toronto (YYZ) for a job interview in 1958.

And now we've probably started a contest -- no youngsters allowed.

But les bon temps continue to roulé! I tried (unsuccessfully) to find a bargain reward flight tonight for a quick revisit to Carnival in Rio (where it will be a darn sight warmer than MSY on Fat Tuesday). We'll watch TV instead. Still planning to visit Rio in April.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 11:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WHBM
14. It used to be if you wanted to fly from Pittsburgh to Toronto, you’d give Nordair or Eastern a call. These days, Eastern still serves the route with a pair of 757s but Nordair has been replaced by another airline. Identify that airline and the equipment it operates on its two flights between Pittsburgh and Toronto.

I think Nordair had been absorbed into CP Air by then, so it would be a CP flight

Spot on, W. ^ And another one bites the dust! The two flights were operated with 737-200s
Old Mar 3, 2019, 12:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Toshbaf
21. It’s a great life working as a bartender for the rich and famous in Vail, Colorado. Now that the season is over, it’s time to relocate to Las Vegas and your summer job bartending at the MGM Grand. Thankfully the transition is made easier this year with the addition of a new once weekly 1-stop direct flight between Vail’s Eagle County Regional Airport and Las Vegas. Identify the airline, aircraft and enroute stop if you please.

Continental Express, operated by Rocky Mountain Airways, Dash 7 Eagle County - Aspen - Las Vegas. Just a guess

Pretty wild and crazy guess there, T - I'm not sure RMA ever even operated outside of Colorado . Nope - the airline we're looking for operated a jet on this route - albeit one in a single class configuration
Old Mar 3, 2019, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by miniliq
Perhaps we've discussed this before, but I have to compete with you jlemon, because it's the 60th anniversary of my first commercial flight aboard a Lockheed L1049 Super Constellation operated by Trans-Canada Airlines from Edmonton (YEG) to Toronto (YYZ) for a job interview in 1958. ...
well, gentlemen, some time this month I have both of you beat ... 65 years ... I was less than a year old

I thought it was actually this week, but I can’t presently lay my hands on the little certificate, signed by the captain, that my mom received from the flight attendant (who of course was then called a stewardess)

my log entry is
“ — Mar 54 TW 86 ABQ-MDW CST” (where CST = Lockheed L-749A Constellation)
strickerj likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 12:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by miniliq
Perhaps we've discussed this before, but I have to compete with you jlemon, because it's the 60th anniversary of my first commercial flight aboard a Lockheed L1049 Super Constellation operated by Trans-Canada Airlines from Edmonton (YEG) to Toronto (YYZ) for a job interview in 1958. And now we've probably started a contest -- no youngsters allowed.
My first commercial flight that I'm fairly certain of was aboard a Continental 707 (or was it a 720B? At my young age they both looked the same) between Los Angeles and Denver in August of 1962.

There is some debate with one of my sisters who's confident we flew aboard a Caravelle from Santa Barbara to Los Angeles just prior to the flight mentioned above. I have memories of climbing up the back stairs (how cool was that at the time for a young flyer like me!) and of those triangular windows but of course we all know that the westernmost city with scheduled CVL flights was Omaha. Or was it Lincoln? In any event, it's been surmised that United performed maintenance checks on its Caravelles at SFO and that one could very well have been substituted for a DC-6 on the SBA-LAX route. More likely however is that I flew one during one of our forays back east to visit kinfolk

Last edited by Seat 2A; Mar 3, 2019 at 7:14 am
Old Mar 3, 2019, 4:53 am

My first commercial flight
Mine was Cambrian Airways Viscount 700 G-AMOO (a onetime BEA aircraft from the early 1950s), Liverpool to Isle of Man, two airports almost within sight of one another but with a 4-engined aircraft, in August 1966. So 53 years ago. Flight CS513, departing at 0815. By chance, the exact timetable for that date is here

http://www.timetableimages.com/ttima...4/cs664-08.jpg
Old Mar 3, 2019, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

And then there were just three..

22. What fun! You’ve just received a call from jlemon to join him and three friends on a sailing trip from Aruba to St. Thomas, Virgin Islands. From your home in Wilmington, Delaware you could fly out of either New York or Washington, DC as both airports are essentially equidistant from your home and accessible by train. You settle for a well timed departure out of JFK aboard a new airline that offers affordable 1 stop flights each Saturday and Sunday to Aruba. Breakfast and lunch will be served enroute. Identify the airline, aircraft and enroute stop please.

23. Is this your lucky trip or what? A quick review of the schedules between St. Thomas and Washington Dulles has revealed a convenient afternoon 1-stop direct flight that ticks all the boxes: It’s more affordable than the traditional airlines flying the route, it offers First Class service and a dinner is served enroute. What airline and aircraft will you be flying upon and where will you stop along the way?
Old Mar 3, 2019, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Pretty cool on those first flights. Here's the tally so far

jrl767: March 1954 Albuquerque to Chicago ~ TWA Constellation

miniliq: XXXX 1958 Edmonton to Toronto ~ Trans Canada Constellation

Seat 2A: August 1962 Los Angeles to Denver ~ Continental 707/720

jlemon: XXXX 1963 Los Angeles to San Francisco ~ PSA Electra

WHBM: August 1966 Liverpool to Isle of Man ~ Cambrian Airways Viscount

Any other old timers care to add to the tally?

I see that everyone listed except for me got their first flight aboard a propeller driven aircraft. My first prop flight wasn't until the next year aboard an American DC-6 between New York JFK and Providence in August of 1963.

How many of us were dressed in our best travel clothes for those flights? For males - regardless of age - coats and ties seemed de rigueur with the possible exception of those casual PSA commuter flights between LAX & SFO...

Last edited by Seat 2A; Mar 3, 2019 at 8:30 am
Old Mar 3, 2019, 10:00 am
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
And then there were just three..

Almost certainly incorrect but....

PSA EGE-SLC-LAS BAe 146

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.