Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2019, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
And with that, I must take leave of the quiz for a bit as I have an appointment with my parole officer in town. Seeya later this evening assuming all goes well...
Seat 2A, as I have advised you many times, please don't drink beer with the polar bears up there......
Old Feb 17, 2019, 8:07 am

Programs: FB Platinum
Wild guess time...

31. It’s been a dreary winter in the tiny village of Little Bollington in Cheshire, England. Perhaps a trip down to Spain’s beautiful Costa Blanca is in order. From nearby Manchester Airport, there’s a new airline that operates a single weekly scheduled nonstop departing MAN each Saturday. Best of all, there’ll be no dreaded seatback catering such as found on some of those dreadful charters. Identify the airline and the aircraft type it operates.

I've a woolly recollection that Cal Air International operated from MAN to Spain. They had a couple of DC10s I think.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)

3. Back in the “Good Old Days” New Orleans was well served with a variety of widebody jet flights. National Airlines in particular comes to mind with its many DC-10s routing through from a variety of Florida cities, continuing on to Houston and points west. In early 1994, MSY is served with only two widebody flights per day – both te same type of equipment. We’re not interested in the destination(s) of these flights, just the airline and equipment type.
It's not Delta with an L-1011

3. Time for a lagniappe guess.....Continental with the A300.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 9:21 am

Programs: BA
24. In late 1986, only one airline operates Soviet built equipment into Miami. You have booked yourself a First Class seat aboard that airline’s nonstop flight to its home base. What airline will you be flying on, where will you be flying to and what type of airplane will you be flying on?
Guyana Airways Tu154 to Georgetown.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by Toshbaf
7. Back in early 1994, you could fly aboard what was possibly the first scheduled westbound nonstop transcon flight operated with a variant of the Boeing 737. Identify the route, the airline and the variant of 737 utilized.

United Airlines, IAD-SFO, on a 737-300. I know it doesn't make sense because SFO is further west than LAX or SEA. However, I do know that UA had a 733 route but it may not have been the first 737 transcon. How about a future question about a MD-80 transcon?

You're right, Toshbaf, SFO is too far west. We're looking for a different arrival city. Departure was also from a different airport and the airline was not United. That said, I look forward to your next guess.

As to a question about an MD80 transcon - when I come across one, I may well formulate a question.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl767
12. The American Meteorological Society is holding its annual conference in Jackson, Mississippi – the windiest city in America. From your home outside of Phoenix, that’ll probably translate into an unpleasant journey involving one or more connections. Imagine then your surprise and delight when your travel agent informs you that there’s a 2-stop flight departing Phoenix each morning except Saturday. Identify the airline, enroute stops and equipment please.

Delta with a 72S via Dallas/Ft Worth (DFW) and Shreveport (SHV) seems like a really obvious answer, but there’s no mention of First Class, so that means it’s probably not the right answer ... it’s too early for Southwest to be serving any states that don’t border Texas, which means the only single-class operation across the southern part of the country that comes to mind is Frontier, and the jet of course a 737-291 ... the first stop would certainly have been FL’s Denver (DEN) hub; how about Tulsa (TUL) for the second

Well aren't you the intuitive one! It is indeed Frontier, though the 737 could have been anything from a -291 to a -214 to a -2A1 to a -222. Frontier had a few castoffs from other airlines. As to the routing, Denver is correct (well, d'uh!) but Tulsa is not. Please finish this one off!

13. Business calls in Dallas, Texas. You’ll be attending the International Meeting on Thermodynamics, Fluid Dynamics & Fluid Mechanics. Now then, how to get there? A call to Err Canada reveals no service to Dallas from Vancouver. How about calling a travel agent, then. Yes! Although there are no nonstops, there are two daily 2-stop flights – both on the same airline, both following the same routing. The morning flight offers a snack, breakfast and lunch enroute. Yum!! Bookit, Danno! Alright then, you know the drill – identify all the usual stuff.

Once again I’m positing the airline based on the absence of First Class service ... and once again I’m coming up with a Frontier 737-200 ... stops were Spokane (GEG) and Denver (DEN)

We have been guilty in the past of emphasizing First Class travel if only because it sounds nice as much as it being a clue. Perhaps it's time to cut the budget on our business travelers and have everyone fly coach on all but the longest flights. In the meantime, you're 100% correct. ^

Frontier FL 136 Vancouver (YVR) 700a-747a Spokane (GEG) 816a-1116a Denver (DEN) 1158a-242p Dallas (DFW) Boeing 737-200 Daily
YVR-GEG Snack ~ GEG-DEN Breakfast ~DEN-DFW Lunch
strickerj likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767
1. In the winter of 1994, what was the shortest flight in North America operated with widebody equipment?

How about the ~70-mile DEN<—>COS? My second guess would be the ~45-mile IAD<—>BWI leg

Sorry, J - only one guess at a time. Fortunately for you, your first guess was correct. As you might imagine (or not) I scoured the OAG checking all the usual routes including IAD-BWI. My personal shortest widebody flight was aboard an Eastern A300 between Miami and Ft. Lauderdale - a distance of about 22 miles. DEN-COS used to be 62 miles when Stapleton was the airport of record. With DIA being halfway to Kansas, the distance has increased a bit.

United UA 1249 Denver (DEN) 603p-647p Colorado Springs (COS) DC-10 Daily 71.5 miles
Old Feb 17, 2019, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Toshbaf
3. Back in the “Good Old Days” New Orleans was well served with a variety of widebody jet flights. National Airlines in particular comes to mind with its many DC-10s routing through from a variety of Florida cities, continuing on to Houston and points west. In early 1994, MSY is served with only two widebody flights per day – both te same type of equipment. We’re not interested in the destination(s) of these flights, just the airline and equipment type.

Delta Air Lines, 767

Perhaps at one time this might have been true, but per the 1994 schedule I referenced for this question we're looking for a different airline operating a different aircraft type. Please, guess again!

8. Back in early 1994, if you wanted to fly between the New York City metropolitan area and Chicago’s Midway Airport, three airlines offered nonstop flights. Two operated from Newark while one operated out of LaGuardia. Each airline operated a different type of equipment on this route. Identify the three airlines and the equipment each operated on the NYC-MDW route.

Kiwi International Air Lines, Boeing 727-200 Correct!
Midway Airlines, Fokker 100 Correct!
Continental Airlines, Boeing 737-300 Incorrect!

Two out of three is a good start. Polish this one off, Mr. T!

Last edited by Seat 2A; Feb 17, 2019 at 11:22 am
Old Feb 17, 2019, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jlemon
Seat 2A, as I have advised you many times, please don't drink beer with the polar bears up there......
Old habits die hard...
Old Feb 17, 2019, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rosensfole
31. It’s been a dreary winter in the tiny village of Little Bollington in Cheshire, England. Perhaps a trip down to Spain’s beautiful Costa Blanca is in order. From nearby Manchester Airport, there’s a new airline that operates a single weekly scheduled nonstop departing MAN for Alicante, Spain each Saturday. Best of all, there’ll be no dreaded seatback catering such as found on some of those dreadful charters. Identify the airline and the aircraft type it operates.

I've a woolly recollection that Cal Air International operated from MAN to Spain. They had a couple of DC10s I think.

I believe you're correct. About Cal Air having a couple of DC-10s, that is. As to the MAN-ALC flight, we're looking for a different airline operating a different aircraft type - one not built in California. Please, guess again!

On a side note, I thought Cal Air was strictly charter. Wasn't it affiliated with B-Cal in some way? Did it also have scheduled flights?
Old Feb 17, 2019, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

4. What a great weekend you’ve got planned! You’ll be flying from Miami over to Nassau, sailing up to Freeport and then flying back to Ft. Lauderdale. Only one airline offers jet service in each market – each one with a different type of equipment. Identify the single carrier and the jet it operates on the MIA-NAS and FPO-FLL markets.

5. In early 1994, flying between Los Angeles and Mexico City offered a great opportunity to sample some truly great inflight service via two foreign airlines operating Fifth Freedom flights on the route. Another foreign carrier also operated over this route but per the schedules allowed only Conditional Stopover Traffic. Identify each airline and the equipment it operated.
4. Well, at first I thought you were looking for just one airline operating two different jet types MIA-NAS and FPO-FLL. But now that I've re-read the question, I think two different air carriers are in play here.....

I believe the first one is a very obscure air carrier that I actually saw at MIA during one of my many trips back in the day between California and the Caribbean while connecting via Miami: Trinity Air Bahamas operating DC-9-30 service between Miami and Nassau . They did not last very long.

The second airline may have been one of several carriers created by the iconic Mr. Freddy Laker: Laker Airways Bahamas operating B727-200 service between its home base in Freeport and Ft. Lauderdale.

5. We've had some quiz items pertaining to this one in the past concerning two air carriers that were permitted to carry traffic between LAX and MEX: Malaysia Airlines operating the B747-400 and LACSA operating the A320. As for the third air carrier that was only permitted to carry conditional stopover traffic, it was probably an airline based in South America. And so, I'll guess Aerolineas Argentinas, perhaps with a B747-200.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

It's not Delta with an L-1011

Time for a lagniappe guess.....Continental with the A300.

Correct! Continental operated two daily A300s from IAH into MSY. It was a pretty short flight, but if you were well behaved the flight attendant might have included a bag of almonds from the LAX flights with your cocktail as a lagniappe.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WHBM
24. In late 1986, only one airline operates Soviet built equipment into Miami. You have booked yourself a First Class seat aboard that airline’s nonstop flight to its home base. What airline will you be flying on, where will you be flying to and what type of airplane will you be flying on?

Guyana Airways Tu154 to Georgetown.

Mere child's play. Correct you are, Sir! The flight arrived from Guyana on Friday night. I wonder who in Miami would have worked on it had there been a mechanical issue of some sort? Or did GY fly with a mechanic like Alaska does on some of its rural routes. In any event, here's the schedule:

Guyana Airways GY 708 Miami (MIA) 700a-1015a Georgetown (GEO) Tupolev TU-154 Sat only
Old Feb 17, 2019, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

12. The American Meteorological Society is holding its annual conference in Jackson, Mississippi – the windiest city in America. From your home outside of Phoenix, that’ll probably translate into an unpleasant journey involving one or more connections. Imagine then your surprise and delight when your travel agent informs you that there’s a 2-stop flight departing Phoenix each morning except Saturday. Identify the airline, enroute stops and equipment please.
12. I see that jrl767 has correctly guessed the original Frontier (FL) operating a B737-200. And I recall that Frontier's short-lived service between Jackson (JAN) and Denver made a stop in Little Rock (LIT). I also believe this was the only time there was nonstop jet service between LIT and JAN.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

4. What a great weekend you’ve got planned! You’ll be flying from Miami over to Nassau, sailing up to Freeport and then flying back to Ft. Lauderdale. Only one airline offers jet service in each market – each one with a different type of equipment. Identify the single carrier and the jet it operates on the MIA-NAS and FPO-FLL markets.

Well, at first I thought you were looking for just one airline operating two different jet types MIA-NAS and FPO-FLL. But now that I've re-read the question, I think two different air carriers are in play here.....

I believe the first one is a very obscure air carrier that I actually saw at MIA during one of my many trips back in the day between California and the Caribbean while connecting via Miami: Trinity Air Bahamas operating DC-9-30 service between Miami and Nassau . They did not last very long.

The second airline may have been one of several carriers created by the iconic Mr. Freddy Laker: Laker Airways Bahamas operating B727-200 service between its home base in Freeport and Ft. Lauderdale.

Correct! Here's the schedules:

Trinity Air Bahamas T6 Miami (MIA) to Nassau (NAS) DC-9-30
Laker Airways (Bahamas) 7Z Freeport (FPO) to Ft. Lauderdale (FLL) Boeing 727-200

5. In early 1994, flying between Los Angeles and Mexico City offered a great opportunity to sample some truly great inflight service via two foreign airlines operating Fifth Freedom flights on the route. Another foreign carrier also operated over this route but per the schedules allowed only Conditional Stopover Traffic. Identify each airline and the equipment it operated.

We've had some quiz items pertaining to this one in the past concerning two air carriers that were permitted to carry traffic between LAX and MEX: Malaysia Airlines operating the B747-400 and LACSA operating the A320. As for the third air carrier that was only permitted to carry conditional stopover traffic, it was probably an airline based in South America. And so, I'll guess Aerolineas Argentinas, perhaps with a B747-200.

That's right. I always wanted to nab a flight on that Malaysian 744 but just never got around to it. Here's the schedules:

Aerolineas Argentinas AR 385 Los Angeles (LAX) 1100a-445p Mexico City (MEX) Boeing 747-200 Lunch Sun only
Aerolineas Argentinas AR 381 Los Angeles (LAX) 1030p-415a Mexico City (MEX) Boeing 747-200 Dinner Fri only
Aerolineas Argentinas AR 389 Los Angeles (LAX) 1159p-545a Mexico City (MEX) Boeing 747-200 Dinner Wed only
LACSA LR 641 Los Angeles (LAX) 1230a-600a Mexico City (MEX) Airbus A320-200 Snack Daily
Malaysian MH 90 Los Angeles (LAX) 600p-1115p Mexico City (MEX) Boeing 747-400 Dinner Fri Sun only

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.