ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search Consolidated Information and Help Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 4, 2014, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
ITA Matrix Search: http://matrix.itasoftware.com

You can sometimes see flights, fares and detailed fare rules that may not be reflected on an airline's website. Please read the thread for some tips and tricks, screen shots, etc.

A related thread, ITA-Matrix-PowerTools - Userscript for Orbitz/DL/UA/AA/BA/CZ/IB/LA/LH/LX/TK, discusses a user script which is maintained by fellow flyertalk members to enhance the already powerful Matrix of ITA Software by providing new features and booking links.

Additional details and tips on the use of ITA's advanced routing code feature can be found in the following long-standing Mileage Run Discussion threads:

Print Wikipost

ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search Consolidated Information and Help Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2022, 3:31 pm

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by man4business
Let me share my remarks. I use mostly web browser on PC (not really interested in the improvements for mobile devices).
1) looking for the lowest fares (See calendar of lowest fares) it shows the fares, but to see the time span I have to click, in the old version it was much more convenient (just hovering the mouse over the selected date);
2) if I select a return flight result and want to "Modify search" making Multi city, but based on this specific result, it was way more convenient in the old version, I had all desired data already filled and could just add some more legs, in the new version I have to fill the data manually
3) this is a request which is pretty logical since it is impossible to define Origin airports from various countries... so would you please provide an option to select airports from a given country? E.g. typing Poland, I would like to have an option to select some or even all airports from this country. I think it would be not so difficult since the ariports are actually listed... (but not possible to select them).
Thansk for your great job!
+1

I've used the old version much the same way you do (specifically for item #2 in your list).
hugolover likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2022, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
I don't like the new version, but sigh ... will have to live with it. Thanks for keeping it though ... it has been my go-to tool for flight search for the past decade.

Please have it remember preferences. This is annoying to re-enter everything.

And I know this one is nothing you can do anything about ... I hope the powertools will still work with the new version
hugolover likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2022, 4:46 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by flyerfirsts
Am I wrong or did old matrix tell you when the reason there were no results was an error? Took me forever last night to realize the reason I was getting no results was I typed VA into the extension instead of VS.
Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. If you use incorrect syntax in the advanced controls, it reports that right away. But far too often I get "No flights found" when entering specific flights in the advanced controls routing field, even when an earlier search without specifying any flights showed those flights as one of the options.
Old Feb 5, 2022, 4:58 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold, Aeroplan, Marriott Titanium (LT Platinum), HH Diamond
I set the items per page to 50 from the default 25 but when I returned to the site later there were only 25 results on the page, even though the items per page was still set to 50.
Old Feb 5, 2022, 10:22 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer, BAEC
Originally Posted by ITA Hacker
Thanks!
+1 Many thanks for keeping it alive
Old Feb 6, 2022, 11:46 pm

ITA Hacker Refreshing any page doesn't work. Makes updating Powertools quite hard

On that note, Powertools now has preliminary Matrix 5 support, primarily just the links. Most other features still don't work.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 8:24 am
Company Representative - ITA Software

Originally Posted by flyerfirsts
Am I wrong or did old matrix tell you when the reason there were no results was an error? Took me forever last night to realize the reason I was getting no results was I typed VA into the extension instead of VS.
If you can point to cases where the old Matrix does gives better feedback than the new Matrix please let us (use the feedback system on Matrix, or report it in this forum). Your current example is hard to solve -- if you use the correct syntax by create a constraint that is impossible to satisfy, then it's often very hard to explain why there were no solutions.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 5:25 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
I don't know if I should report this as a bug or a feature request, but on mobile, in the results page I can scroll sideways on the bit where the flights are displayed (right at the bottom of my screenshot), but not on the matrix showing the prices by airline combinations (the top bit which hides when I click on hide matrix). Not the end of the world, I turned the phone sideways, but the really expensive ones were still missing at the end.
Old Feb 9, 2022, 2:11 pm

Programs: AA Exp
Hi,

I am encountering an issue I have never had before. I am unable to replicate the following flight found on google flights on ita matrix (using same routing, listing individual segments, listing all flight numbers or just the airlines in the routing code; nothing works). Help would be greatly appreciated as I want to try to use Powertools to avoid having to book the flight via a dodgy google flights linked OTA.

Thank you in advance.
gnargel
Old Feb 9, 2022, 4:40 pm

This routing is complicated enough that it might be that by chance you see it and due to not the very exactly same conditions (timeouts? GF is not really the same as ITA Matrix). But forcing routing a bit I can reporduce your booking on ITA, a bit more expensive:

For example https://www.kayak.com/flights/AMS-ZR...t=bestflight_a
Old Feb 9, 2022, 4:55 pm

The way you can easily explore it - just begin with the fare e.g. LX: AMS-GRU in C, then add connecting flights in the middle, and you will get (in my example) 1190 euro, I think you can improve if you fiddle with LH, perhaps GIG etc.

mildfrequence likes this.

Last edited by man4business; Feb 9, 2022 at 5:05 pm Reason: ota added
Old Feb 10, 2022, 1:59 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
Originally Posted by gnargel
I am encountering an issue I have never had before. I am unable to replicate the following flight found on google flights on ita matrix (using same routing, listing individual segments, listing all flight numbers or just the airlines in the routing code; nothing works).
I'm not sure if that's the case here, but that's actually not so rare: ITA Matrix only shows GDS fares, but not all fares are in a GDS.
Old Feb 10, 2022, 2:14 am

Programs: AA Exp
Thank you all for your help! I really appreciate it!
Unfortunately the results are not identical to what I am looking for (see screenshot: outbound also via EZE, inbound via SCL). My routing keeps the connection times somewhat reasonable. I have been fiddling with ITA, Kayak, Momondo, Skyscanner for hours (incl. splitting the trip up in more segments, etc), but nothing seems to work.

Here is de full list of the flight + an alternative that looks fun too :-)

Old Feb 10, 2022, 3:14 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
Just contact a good travel agent then, they should be able to help you.
Old Feb 10, 2022, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
AMS
LX735 ZRH LX92+ EZE
F BC=P
VVI

LPB
SCL GIG MUC
F BC=P
AMS

You must select "Cheapest available" cabin. If you use "Business class or higher", the premium economy sectors seem to preclude this result.

Any remaining price discrepancy may possibly be due to a GDS fee. I can't remember how LH Group deals with this.
Attached Images  
gnargel likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.