ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search Consolidated Information and Help Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 4, 2014, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
ITA Matrix Search: http://matrix.itasoftware.com

You can sometimes see flights, fares and detailed fare rules that may not be reflected on an airline's website. Please read the thread for some tips and tricks, screen shots, etc.

A related thread, ITA-Matrix-PowerTools - Userscript for Orbitz/DL/UA/AA/BA/CZ/IB/LA/LH/LX/TK, discusses a user script which is maintained by fellow flyertalk members to enhance the already powerful Matrix of ITA Software by providing new features and booking links.

Additional details and tips on the use of ITA's advanced routing code feature can be found in the following long-standing Mileage Run Discussion threads:

Print Wikipost

ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search Consolidated Information and Help Thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2021, 6:46 pm

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by ITA Hacker
We cannot keep the old version around indefinitely.

We have no control over PowerTools. Can anyone ping the authors and ask them to update the tools?
I posted a link to the v5 beta site on the thread for the power tools shortly after you posted it here..

ITA-Matrix-PowerTools - Userscript for Orbitz/DL/UA/AA/BA/CZ/IB/LA/LH/LX/TK
ChocolateFactory likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2021, 10:40 pm

Programs: Alaska, Bonvoy, HH
Originally Posted by anabolism
Just a thought that might not be practicable, but maybe have a checkbox that says "show without taxes". If a search has multiple countries, check the box (or require it to be manually checked in order to search from multiple countries). Obviously, without knowing anything about your back end I have no idea if this would be feasible, so just a thought.
Just want to chime in to say that continuing the discussion around this feature is valuable imo. A big reason to use the matrix tool as currently constituted is being able to compare similar routes with different origins/destinations in the name of optimization. It would be a damn shame to not be able to simultaneously consider multiple EU gateways, for example (as already previously mentioned)
Old Dec 3, 2021, 3:20 am

We turned off multi-country-origin queries because there were subtle errors (taxes and other issues) in QPX's results. Adding a warning that "prices may be incorrect" is not a good solution here. Don't hold your breath for a better one.
Even if the the multi country origin countries use the same currency as in EUR for most of Western Europe?
How about calculating everything in NUC (as the GDS' do) and then doing the currency conversion afterwards?

And what about multi cabin requests (mix cabin)?
Old Dec 3, 2021, 3:53 am

Programs: BA GGL - maybe only briefly!
Originally Posted by vintagepilot
There is also a problem in the routing codes field. If I have already put in, say, JFK and then want to add LHR before JFK, I put the cursor in front of the 'J' but as soon as I type 'L', the cursor jumps to the end of the string - so you end up with LJFKHR.
I think this is now fixed -- I can't reproduce this anymore. Give it a try again and let me know if you can still reproduce this.
Yes, still the same for me in MacOS Safari, even after clearing caches. Works ok in Chrome.
Old Dec 3, 2021, 3:55 am

some more feedback

For the eye its easier to read when there are not large fields of space between results, both tabs are in 90% size in chrome
i.e.
1.) airline chart
old: 14airlines

new: 9 airlines, too much space between the airlines, we can push more airlines in the grid so we need less scrolling

2.)
1st result expanded:

new:

all the yellow space can be removed

3.)
dep.+arriv. time

new
dep.+arrival time of each leg is too much 'right', can we move it more to the left so its under "depart" and "arrive" as in the old ITA?
more to the left means it also fits with the dep.+arr. time of the summary (7:30 AM 01:40 PM)

4)
"sort by"
old: i can click on STOPS anywhere to get it expanded to be able to select 1/2 stops / sort by number of stops = good!

new:
now to get the pop up i need to click the yellow marked area, if i hit any of the red area it activates "sort by number of stops"

I can see the idea behind it, less clicks, easier UI etc. but in reality and using ITA a LOT i know we want to be able to work fast, so making the filters (yellow marked) very tiny and instead make the "sort by" big only slows us down.
And in reality, who wants to sort by "from/to" alphabatically, we all want to click on it to actually select which airports we want to fly from/to, so it would be great if we could get it back as in the old system (clicking anywhere on the filter = expanding it instead of sorting it)

Thanks!!
Hreb and RobertF14 like this.
Old Dec 3, 2021, 4:11 am

1.) Could we also get a new search feature?:
"baggage fares only"
It became very important in the last few years since almost every airline introduced Basic Eco / Economy Light fares without any checked baggage included
kayak:

GDS also support it, i.e. AMA pricing: FXP/SBF
AMA Masterpricer://FBA (free baggage allowance)

In the past it was possible to excl certain classes (i.e. E) to only show baggage fares but when airlines introduced airline families for the same booking class (you can get Eco Light or Eco classic on both LH K class) this stopped working

2.) What about fare restrictions as an entry?
mildfrequence likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2021, 4:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
How do I get ITA to omit basic economy fares from the search results when searching domestic DL, UA, and AA fares?

How do I search for the cheapest routes with the most segments to a destination? For example, let's say I want to fly DL from SEA-BOS for $400. Instead of flying direct, how many segments can I realistically add and keep it around $400? Or increase the distance to decrease the cents per miles metric further?
Old Dec 3, 2021, 5:20 am

Originally Posted by lsquare
How do I get ITA to omit basic economy fares from the search results when searching domestic DL, UA, and AA fares?
That feature doesn't exist. If UA,DL,AA have specific fare classes for BE fares, you could exclude them with ~BC=
lsquare and atword like this.
Old Dec 3, 2021, 5:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by fuyao
That feature doesn't exist. If UA,DL,AA have specific fare classes for BE fares, you could exclude them with ~BC=
That's weird. How come I can filter out basic economy fares for tpac and tatl fares?
Old Dec 3, 2021, 5:23 am

Originally Posted by lsquare
How do I search for the cheapest routes with the most segments to a destination? For example, let's say I want to fly DL from SEA-BOS for $400. Instead of flying direct, how many segments can I realistically add and keep it around $400? Or increase the distance to decrease the cents per miles metric further?
Best results would finding the right routes yourself.
If you're looking for just a few transfers, you can use DL+ as outbound routing code which gives ITA more time to focus in finding only DL fares, therefore, more results are found with more stops
Old Dec 3, 2021, 6:14 am

ITA Hacker Thank you all for this update and for the copy as json feature! That should help make Powertools even more robust.

Any thoughts on adding some of the Powertools features into the main line? It doesn't seem like copying and pasting the urls is working (at least for me) and it just spins forever. Buy I am glad to see native support for dark mode though

Thanks again for this update. New site looks great!
alex67500 and fuyao like this.
Old Dec 3, 2021, 7:29 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K, *A Gold
As a Xoogler, want to say congrats on the product launch!

I still remember the days of playing around with the prototype Boq Web rewrite on my local devserver, but I’m guessing you’re not a fan of Wiz which is why you went with Angular ?

Thanks so much for keeping this project alive!
Old Dec 3, 2021, 9:38 am

Programs: M&M
Awesome that Matrix is here to stay! clap-clap!

- Please bring back :: support, please please please! Not being able to use shorthand syntax is debilitating (20 years, as you've said yourself ).
- Please think of users using TAB to navigate. A good example is the Calendar not being displayed (yes I understand we still need to click dates but it's one less click every time).
- When switching from rt to multi-city would it be possible to pre-populate the first 2 legs with the rt information like in current Matrix?
- Is there any way to use dynamic scaling for the page? Many of us use 1920px or higher horizontal res and currently much of that is just space wasted.
- Would it be possible to implement a non-animated and/or barebones css layout (with less whitespace all around)?
- Selecting nearby airports: would it be possible to select the current airport and not "near me" by default? On changing the radius it also resizes the box (and thus the radius bar) with each change, leading to changing the radius bar, leading to...
- Dates: when clicking the return date could you pop up the calendar with the return date? Same with tabbing over them.
- Maybe a "reset" option would be useful that clears everything in the search box. "Clear all's" functionality is not immediately obvious.
- Is there any way, as has been asked, to turn basic fares on/off? I know it's not as simple as some suggest (like some carriers proactively disabling branding options in some GDSs for example) but if there's a way you could hack it that would be the most welcome addition ever.
- It has been a pet peevee of mine for years but would it be possible to implement O:[CX###], as in operated by carrier-flight_number? With the joint ventures and other stuff sometimes a flight can have 5-6-7 codes and this would simplify some searches a lot (including less searches to begin with to get the actual flight numbers for all possible marketing carriers).
- Exclude itineraries option where primary RBD is not available? (ie USA-India through EU booking into C and Y respectively and popping up as a "business" option).

All in all great that we can keep using Matrix and a YUUUUGE thanks to all the people who made this possible. <3
Hreb, fuyao, andydd and 1 others like this.

Last edited by FrankTalk; Dec 3, 2021 at 9:44 am
Old Dec 3, 2021, 10:28 am

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by fuyao
For the eye its easier to read when there are not large fields of space between results, both tabs are in 90% size in chrome
I agree, the old compact format is much more useful than the new open format.
Xyzzy and PanAmSam like this.
Old Dec 4, 2021, 1:36 am

Programs: Iberia, BAEC GOLD/ Priority Club : ROYAL Amb / Miles and More: SEN
As said by other travellers:

If you see the United States of Europe as 1 country it would help us Europeans a lot for the multi-city departs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.