ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search Consolidated Information and Help Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 4, 2014, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
ITA Matrix Search: http://matrix.itasoftware.com

You can sometimes see flights, fares and detailed fare rules that may not be reflected on an airline's website. Please read the thread for some tips and tricks, screen shots, etc.

A related thread, ITA-Matrix-PowerTools - Userscript for Orbitz/DL/UA/AA/BA/CZ/IB/LA/LH/LX/TK, discusses a user script which is maintained by fellow flyertalk members to enhance the already powerful Matrix of ITA Software by providing new features and booking links.

Additional details and tips on the use of ITA's advanced routing code feature can be found in the following long-standing Mileage Run Discussion threads:

Print Wikipost

ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search Consolidated Information and Help Thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2021, 11:45 am

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
"No Flights Found" when specifying flight numbers

When I specify even one flight number in a search, I'm getting "No Flights Found". If I take out the flight number, the results include the flights I was specifying.

For example:

A search from SFO to ARN forcing an AA flight to JFK and an AA flight to LHR works:

The results include, e.g., AA234 connecting to AA100 connecting to AA6529. But if I try to force AA100, it results in a "No Flights Found" error:

(It doesn't matter if I use "aa100 lhr" or "aa100" or "f:aa100".)

What am I doing wrong?
Old Nov 1, 2021, 3:05 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
You are doing nothing wrong. It's just one of those glitches, I'm afraid.
Old Nov 1, 2021, 4:20 pm

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory
Is that E class you mean? Try with "F ~BC=E".
Have you found a way tp do this for excluding two different booking classes?

I am trying to scan QR business class fares that allow the passenger to do free seat assignment and get lounge access. QR has two restricted business booking classes (P and R). I am trying to say I don't want P and I don't want R.

I've tried every combination I can think of and nothing seems to work. I could use F BC=I|BC=C|BC=D|BC=J but that will only work as long as QR doesn;t change their other business booking classes. ANd it is easier to ray not one of two rather than any of of four booking classes.
Old Nov 1, 2021, 4:22 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
Yes, try this (the semicolon simply means "AND"):

f ~bc=P; f ~bc=R
Old Nov 1, 2021, 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory
Yes, try this (the semicolon simply means "AND"):

f ~bc=P; f ~bc=R
I was looking for a logical AND symbol but there is nothing on the search page (including their examples) that indicates it even exists. Maybe I missed something really obvious but I have done coding for over 40 years and am pretty good at digging through a vendor's documentation.
Old Nov 1, 2021, 11:11 pm

It also took me some time to figure this out. But it makes complete sense: The semicolon is used to separate criteria, and all criteria are applied at the same time. So that’s your logical AND operator right there.
mildfrequence likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2021, 12:09 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by cheltzel
Have you found a way tp do this for excluding two different booking classes?
These should still work (edit: just tested & verified the general technique, though not specifically on QR or the examples below)

Originally Posted by Zorak
In the extension codes box:

Code:
f ~(bc=o|bc=t|bc=w|bc=g)
(if replicating by hand, vs. copy-and-paste, note that that the ~ is a tilde, not a dash -- it looks a bit ambiguous in my browser font)
Originally Posted by veeRob
Or the opposite:

Code:
f ~bc=o&~bc=t&~bc=w&~bc=g
Old Nov 2, 2021, 6:54 am

My thanks to both ChocolateFactory and Zorak for their help. Both their answers worked.

After playing with it for a while and coming back to this thread, I found what I should have done all along: Look at the thread's WIKI. There is a link to a wonderful thread completely dedicated to ITA/Matrix faring specifications and issues. I am sure I had found it several years ago and had completely forgot about it.

It is dated from 2004 and is for a version of the software but I have found that the faring specs shown there all seem to be completely relevant to the current version.
Old Nov 10, 2021, 6:31 am

Hi all,

I want to fly London - PHX, carrying my cats with me in cabin. As far as I can tell, LH, AF, KL, and AY are the likely carriers to accept in-cabin pets for that first leg leaving the UK (I'll make another post on the pets sub-forum to verify that). I'm trying to use ITA Matrix to restrict the first leg to those 4 carriers. Any tips? I've tried putting
Code:
O:LH,AF,KL,AY
in the routing codes field, and
Code:
OPAIRLINES LH AF KL AY
in the extension codes field, but both end up with no results. I don't need all legs to be with those airlines - just the first leg that would get me out of the UK with the cats. Any thoughts on how to properly specify that search? Many thanks in advance!

Old Nov 10, 2021, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by countchocula
I want to fly London - PHX, carrying my cats with me in cabin. As far as I can tell, LH, AF, KL, and AY are the likely carriers to accept in-cabin pets for that first leg leaving the UK (I'll make another post on the pets sub-forum to verify that). I'm trying to use ITA Matrix to restrict the first leg to those 4 carriers. Any tips? I've tried putting
Code:
O:LH,AF,KL,AY
in the routing codes field ...
What that does is specify that you want only one flight, and that must be operated by one of LH, AF, KL or AY. But none of those airlines flies non-stop to PHX from LON.

I think that if you do the following, it should work, because it specifies that after that first flight, you will accept any number of additional flights on any airline (and it looks like it will be a minimum of two more flights):
Code:
O:LH,AF,KL,AY F+
countchocula and Calchas like this.
Old Nov 10, 2021, 7:30 pm
Company Representative - ITA Software

Hi All,

For many years, we have maintained Matrix as an informal demonstration platform for the advanced features of our flight search technology – the same technology that underlies Google Flights and many airline websites. Unfortunately, the current Matrix website implementation relies on an internally deprecated web platform slated for retirement.

As a result, a band of dedicated Google “20% time” volunteers has been working to rewrite Matrix using newer web technologies like Angular, while aiming to preserve most of the existing functionality. You can now try out the new Matrix at the following url:

https://partnerdash.google.com/apps/matrix/search

Use the new Matrix to search for itineraries with the control and power you are used to, including routing and extension codes, calendar searches, filters, and time-bars to visualize the resulting options.

Use the Send Feedback link right from the new Matrix to tell us what works and what does not. We read all the feedback we receive.

The Matrix Crew
Old Nov 11, 2021, 9:21 pm

Programs: Alaska, Bonvoy, HH
two things I submitted:
- "modify search" appears to actually start everything new as opposed to letting you tweak the existing search
- the suggestions for the origin field appear to be based on previous entries from "destination" rather than "origin"
Old Nov 12, 2021, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by ITA Hacker
Hi All,

For many years, we have maintained Matrix as an informal demonstration platform for the advanced features of our flight search technology – the same technology that underlies Google Flights and many airline websites. Unfortunately, the current Matrix website implementation relies on an internally deprecated web platform slated for retirement.

As a result, a band of dedicated Google “20% time” volunteers has been working to rewrite Matrix using newer web technologies like Angular, while aiming to preserve most of the existing functionality. You can now try out the new Matrix at the following url:

https://partnerdash.google.com/apps/matrix/search

Use the new Matrix to search for itineraries with the control and power you are used to, including routing and extension codes, calendar searches, filters, and time-bars to visualize the resulting options.

Use the Send Feedback link right from the new Matrix to tell us what works and what does not. We read all the feedback we receive.

The Matrix Crew
Thanks a lot for putting your time into THE GOD of all flight searching tools.
I have sent many feedback and couple of bugs so far.

However, I would love to appreciate if there's some new functionality added (or reintroducing the ones removed previously , instead of just changing UX from one tech to the another one. Is there any plans to introduce new features..other than just the UX. I also see that version is suddenly 5.0 from 3.0.. I would love to see the change log if you maintain one to see what's really new
Inxs74 likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2021, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by mildfrequence
two things I submitted:
- "modify search" appears to actually start everything new as opposed to letting you tweak the existing search
- the suggestions for the origin field appear to be based on previous entries from "destination" rather than "origin"
Yes, we know about the modify search issue -- we're working to fix it.

Can you elaborate on the origin/destination suggestion issue? I'm not sure how to reproduce that.
Old Nov 12, 2021, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by andydd
Thanks a lot for putting your time into THE GOD of all flight searching tools.
I have sent many feedback and couple of bugs so far.

However, I would love to appreciate if there's some new functionality added (or reintroducing the ones removed previously , instead of just changing UX from one tech to the another one. Is there any plans to introduce new features..other than just the UX. I also see that version is suddenly 5.0 from 3.0.. I would love to see the change log if you maintain one to see what's really new
Thank you for the kind words -- I've shared them with the rest of the team -- and thank you for the feedback and bug reports -- I've shared those with the team as well

New features:
  • Nearby airports: click on the little bubble icon on the right side of the origin or destination field, and you can search for an airport near your current location. If you have places already listed in the origin or destination boxes you can search for airports around those locations ("Near me" becomes a drop-down with other options).
  • "Copy itinerary as JSON" on the Itinerary page, which might be useful for scripts that might otherwise need to parse the HTML.
  • Light mode and dark mode
  • The new Matrix is faster
All that and a hidden surprise, too.
Xyzzy, leland, Inxs74 and 2 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.