ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search Consolidated Information and Help Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 4, 2014, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
ITA Matrix Search: http://matrix.itasoftware.com

You can sometimes see flights, fares and detailed fare rules that may not be reflected on an airline's website. Please read the thread for some tips and tricks, screen shots, etc.

A related thread, ITA-Matrix-PowerTools - Userscript for Orbitz/DL/UA/AA/BA/CZ/IB/LA/LH/LX/TK, discusses a user script which is maintained by fellow flyertalk members to enhance the already powerful Matrix of ITA Software by providing new features and booking links.

Additional details and tips on the use of ITA's advanced routing code feature can be found in the following long-standing Mileage Run Discussion threads:

Print Wikipost

ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search Consolidated Information and Help Thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2021, 2:33 pm

Programs: Alaska, Bonvoy, HH
Originally Posted by ITA Hacker
Can you elaborate on the origin/destination suggestion issue? I'm not sure how to reproduce that.
This is probably a question of my phrasing

I noticed that when revisiting the form, the "suggestions" for the origin field features a list of previously entered destination values, rather than values that I had previously entered in as origins. In other words, the suggestions for both fields are based strictly on the recently used destination values, rather than having each field's suggestion list populate based on what had been entered in each field independently.
Old Nov 12, 2021, 3:18 pm

Programs: Alaska, Bonvoy, HH
Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory
Yes, try this (the semicolon simply means "AND"):

f ~bc=P; f ~bc=R
Originally Posted by Zorak
These should still work (edit: just tested & verified the general technique, though not specifically on QR or the examples below)
these negations don't appear to work currently in the updated interface... ITA Hacker
Old Nov 12, 2021, 4:34 pm

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by mildfrequence
these negations don't appear to work currently in the updated interface... ITA Hacker
I was able to reproduce this. You can see the error messages below. I tried on the current production version and there were no issues with the faring extension codes as entered.

mildfrequence likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2021, 8:13 am
Company Representative - ITA Software

Originally Posted by mildfrequence
Yup, sorry, fixed in the next release.
Palal, Zorak and mildfrequence like this.
Old Nov 16, 2021, 5:02 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
ITA Hacker I just want you and your colleagues to know how much I and many, many others appreciate your amazing work. There is nothing like ITA Matrix and I wouldn't know how to live without it.
Old Nov 16, 2021, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ITA Hacker
Hi All,

For many years, we have maintained Matrix as an informal demonstration platform for the advanced features of our flight search technology – the same technology that underlies Google Flights and many airline websites. Unfortunately, the current Matrix website implementation relies on an internally deprecated web platform slated for retirement.
My heart sank when I read this part!

I am very grateful that folks have been working on it -- and not just to make it "modern", but to preserve the power of the thing. I have a little feedback to provide (specifically I would like to be able to type dates in without having to take my hands off the keyboard to locate my mouse); I shall do it via the link.
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2021, 9:40 am

Awesome to see someone at Google is caring about the ITA Matrix! I love the old features in a new modern UI.
It would be amazing if we can share a result as a link. Google Flights is using Protobuf for the complex query but the JSON urlencoded or simple URL parameter would be great, too.
RobertF14 and mildfrequence like this.
Old Dec 1, 2021, 1:28 pm

(will submit same feedback via website)

A) no recent history, so i have to retype everything

B) once I have a search, I'm in the workflow 1)"modify search" -> 2)"Calendar" -> 3)"Flights" -> 4)"Itinerary".

If I'm at step 3 (flights), i want to go back to step 2. I click on step 2(calendar), nothing happens. If you use the old website, going back to step 2 works
Luckily, on the new website, i can go to the end (step4 itinerary), then going back to step 2 or step3 works

C) minor. On step 2 Calendar, if i had a "see calendar of lowest dates" search (eg 1/5/22, 10-17 days) , i have to click on one day to see the price range ($100 for 10 days, $120 for 11 days etc) and then proceed

The old website, the popup for price range shows up upon hover, saves a lot of clicks.

D) the savedLocation local storage doesn't seem to trigger properly sometimes (entering a brand new airport location in search, it should appear in the quick select dropdown in the future). Seems to be easiest to trigger with common location not specific airport (eg NYC instead of JFK, FRA)

Last edited by paperwastage; Dec 1, 2021 at 1:59 pm
Old Dec 1, 2021, 6:39 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by cheltzel
I was able to reproduce this. You can see the error messages below. I tried on the current production version and there were no issues with the faring extension codes as entered.

You should be able to use this instead: "f ~bc=P&~bc=R". The boolean logic here is that both of these conditions must be true for you to get a valid response
Old Dec 1, 2021, 6:42 pm

ITA Hacker - it's great to hear that you guys are still working on this in your spare time! Please keep up the great work!

Three requests:
1. I want something closer to a command line tool interface, where I don't want to have to wait for the airport codes or the routing or extension codes to validate before being able to fill the rest of the form. This is a bit annoying from a UX perspective, especially when I'm on a slow connection in some developing country. Maybe this could be an option that would be set as a cookie? From a UX perspective, in this 'advanced mode' I'd fill out the form and have everything validated before the data to the backend to do the search.
2. Any chance you can come up with a shorter URL? Happy to use a URL shortener (e.g. https://tinyurl.com/gmtrx), but you can probably do better there.
3. Time limit to do the search - any chance we can have an option to raise it? You may need to incorporate reCaptcha there to prevent bots from abusing the servers.

Thanks again for doing the update to keep the tool alive so that we can continue using it!

Last edited by Palal; Dec 1, 2021 at 6:49 pm
Old Dec 1, 2021, 7:30 pm

Location: Loud, dark, warm, lots of ethernet cables, and in some rack space.
Programs: AA:EXP
I haven't got a chance to look at the new version yet - but love that y'all are going to work on this in your spare time!

Keep us updated.
Globaliser and scoonee like this.
Old Dec 1, 2021, 7:56 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by Palal
3. Time limit to do the search - any chance we can have an option to raise it? You may need to incorporate reCaptcha there to prevent bots from abusing the servers.
It would be so awesome to have a way to do a longer search. At a minimum, if there was an indication that a timeout happened and hence search results may not be optimal, that would be a help.
Old Dec 1, 2021, 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by anabolism
It would be so awesome to have a way to do a longer search. At a minimum, if there was an indication that a timeout happened and hence search results may not be optimal, that would be a help.
I recall that the reason for the 1-minute timeout was due to the potential of having bots (ab)using the system.

If I recall correctly, back in the day, before ITA was ITA, and before Google bought it, they had an interview question that they would ask software developers that required an optimal use of Matrix 1.0 NOT through an API. Hence the 1-min limitation. At least that's how the reasoning was explained to me.

Having said that, I think the algorithm has vastly improved, so the need for a longer search time is only needed when you have a large space to search across.
That has also been limited by limiting origins to a single country.

Last edited by Palal; Dec 1, 2021 at 10:49 pm
Old Dec 1, 2021, 10:48 pm

ITA Hacker - one more request:
"Error: Mixing origins from distinct countries is not allowed!" >> Can we get rid of this or at least limit the search to a radius around an initial airport?
While it's awesome for large countries like the US, it's horrible for countries in the EU, where you can conceivably want to check from: CGN;PAR;BRU;AMS;LUX as possible departure airports (5 countries, but not unlike checking from WAS;PHL;NYC) or my favorite: from: LIS;OPO;MAD;BCN

Something for you guys to think about, but
Old Dec 2, 2021, 6:56 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
Yes pleeeease bring the multi-country origin search back. I don't understand why that was removed. Was it because taxes couldn't reliably be calculated correcly? In that case, it would have been better to just add a warning like: "You have searched with multiple origin countries, the ticket price may not be correct." or something...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.