ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search Consolidated Information and Help Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 4, 2014, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
ITA Matrix Search: http://matrix.itasoftware.com

You can sometimes see flights, fares and detailed fare rules that may not be reflected on an airline's website. Please read the thread for some tips and tricks, screen shots, etc.

A related thread, ITA-Matrix-PowerTools - Userscript for Orbitz/DL/UA/AA/BA/CZ/IB/LA/LH/LX/TK, discusses a user script which is maintained by fellow flyertalk members to enhance the already powerful Matrix of ITA Software by providing new features and booking links.

Additional details and tips on the use of ITA's advanced routing code feature can be found in the following long-standing Mileage Run Discussion threads:

Print Wikipost

ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search Consolidated Information and Help Thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2021, 5:40 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
Write the part behind the / in the box on the right and remove the /
Old Aug 23, 2021, 9:13 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by franssois69
Good afternoon,I'm tryingto find a ticket with IB with fare class Y or B only in economy
So I put in my extensions this:
AIRLINES IB / F bc=y|bc=b
and that answers me: SLICE-PERMITTED-CARRIERS: "F" is not a carrier
As if he didn't understand my / as a separator.

I have done something wrong ?

Thank you so much !
Adding to ChocolateFactory 's excellent answer.

For your search, select the "Advanced controls" option, this will display two input text boxes. The leftmost text box is for routing codes and the rightmost is for fare options. In the leftmost box, enter IB+ or O:IB+, depending on exactly what IB flights you are looking for. And in the rightmost box enter F bc=y|bc=b.
Old Aug 23, 2021, 12:51 pm

Programs: Air France Platinium - TK Elite - BA Gold
Thank you very much ChcolateFactory and cheltzel
It works perfectly Great tool !
have a nice evening !!!
Old Aug 23, 2021, 12:53 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
You're welcome. You could also consider using "IB,I2+", I2 is Iberia Express.
Old Sep 12, 2021, 11:58 am

Programs: Delta Diamond
Is there a way to exclude Delta Economy (E) from results?

I thought -CABIN 3 might, but that excludes main cabin as well.
Old Sep 12, 2021, 12:03 pm

Is that E class you mean? Try with "F ~BC=E".
Old Sep 12, 2021, 12:08 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond
Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory
Is that E class you mean? Try with "F ~BC=E".
That works! Thanks!
ChocolateFactory likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2021, 6:35 am

I've gotten a little rusty it seems. When I search for (E.g.) itineraries through JFK and specify "DL+ JFK" I get mostly what I expect though occasionally I'll get a mixed carrier itinerary with some but not all flights on DL (e.g. DL for first leg and UA for JFK-LAX). I can exclude these from the search results by clicking the "DL only" checkbox but I'm wondering if there's a syntax to feed in to exclude non DL results completely.
Old Sep 24, 2021, 8:01 am

"DL" means that DL is the marketing carrier. If you want DL-operated flights, use "O: DL" (with no space in between) - that would also include codeshare flights (e.g. flights sold as AF/KL, but operated by DL). If you only want flights marketed and operated by DL, use "DL+" and then "-codeshare" in the field to the right.

If you want a DL flight from CDG to LAX via JFK, use "DL+ JFK DL+".

"+" means "one or more", if you only want direct flights, just use "DL".

Last edited by ChocolateFactory; Sep 24, 2021 at 8:07 am
Old Sep 26, 2021, 6:40 am

Does anyone know what the actual criteria that "-redeye" uses to exclude flights/itineraries? It seems to be doing what I want - I get some results that arrive after midnight but aren't what I would call a redeye (e.g. arriving at 12:45 AM), and it does show me itineraries with overnight layover/connections (which is fine, I can usually eliminate those with the maxdur parameter).

Just wondering what it actually looks for.
Old Sep 26, 2021, 8:56 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Don't know the answer to that, but fwiw that there's also "-overnight" to exclude overnight layovers.
Old Sep 26, 2021, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by Zorak
Don't know the answer to that, but fwiw that there's also "-overnight" to exclude overnight layovers.
I believe -overnight also restricts flights that operate overnight. On some routes that can be a requirement. I have used maxconnect/minconnect with good success.
Old Sep 26, 2021, 9:28 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by cheltzel
I believe -overnight also restricts flights that operate overnight. On some routes that can be a requirement.
I'm sure that's true on probably many/most international flights; the main time -overnight comes into play for me is when I'm looking for a US domestic flight and ITA is giving me creative routing options (usually broken fares etc) that I'm definitely willing to consider but not if it adds the expense of an overnight hotel stay.

Originally Posted by cheltzel
I have used maxconnect/minconnect with good success.
As have I -- definitely useful to be aware of the different options, some may work better than others depending on the context of my search and what the unfiltered results are and how I want to narrow them down.
Old Sep 29, 2021, 8:57 am
Company Representative - ITA Software

"-overnight" is only supposed to prevent overnight stops
"-redeye" prevents overnight flights

The definitions of both are somewhat complicated (as you might imagine given date-line interactions etc.) and may not always behave exactly as you expect.
WillBarrett_68 likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2021, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by ITA Hacker
"-overnight" is only supposed to prevent overnight stops
"-redeye" prevents overnight flights

The definitions of both are somewhat complicated (as you might imagine given date-line interactions etc.) and may not always behave exactly as you expect.
I have seen the nuances of these play out in practice. If possible, it would be nice to be able to use both maxconnect and minconnect on the same search (in the same extension code entry text box).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.