Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Tools
Reload this Page >

ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search Consolidated Information and Help Thread

ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search Consolidated Information and Help Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old Apr 7, 21, 2:51 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: TWA884
Wiki Link
ITA Matrix Search: http://matrix.itasoftware.com

You can sometimes see flights, fares and detailed fare rules that may not be reflected on an airline's website. Please read the thread for some tips and tricks, screen shots, etc.

A related thread, ITA-Matrix-PowerTools - Userscript for Orbitz/DL/UA/AA/BA/CZ/IB/LA/LH/LX/TK, discusses a user script which is maintained by fellow flyertalk members to enhance the already powerful Matrix of ITA Software by providing new features and booking links.

Additional details and tips on the use of ITA's advanced routing code feature can be found in the following long-standing Mileage Run Discussion threads:

Print Wikipost

Old Aug 17, 21, 2:16 pm

Programs: AA (EXP), Hilton (Diamond), SPG (lowly Plat)
Can't get "o:" or specific flight to work

I'm having trouble searching for specific routings. It seems that any time I use "o:" it errors with:

E.g., with routing code using "o:aa" as in this example, it errors:

The routing code is truncated in the screen shot; the full routing code is "as,aa sfo,sjc,fat,phx as,aa lax o:aa aa,ba". Same error if I try "as,aa sfo,sjc,fat,phx as,aa lax o:aa lhr aa,ba" (with "o:aa lhr").

If I take out "o:" it works. E.g., with routing code "as,aa sfo,sjc,fat,phx as,aa lax aa lhr aa,ba" or "as,aa sfo,sjc,fat,phx as,aa lax aa aa,ba" it works (with and without specifying LHR as the connection point of the AA flight.

Am I using "o:" incorrectly?

It also errors if I try to specify a specific flight, e.g., "as,aa sfo,sjc,fat,phx as,aa lax aa134 aa,ba" or ""as,aa sfo,sjc,fat,phx as,aa lax f:aa134 aa,ba" or "as,aa sfo,sjc,fat,phx as,aa lax aa134 lhr aa,ba".
Old Aug 17, 21, 3:28 pm

Programs: DL Gold / Accor Gold
For some reason, AA flights are messed up. The "O" is correct and working. I took a test on a route I know well and the results are ok.
The funny part is, if you try to find LAX LHR for AA, you have AA137.
This is weird.

Old Aug 18, 21, 5:04 pm

Programs: AA (EXP), Hilton (Diamond), SPG (lowly Plat)
Originally Posted by pmichelazzo View Post
For some reason, AA flights are messed up. The "O" is correct and working. I took a test on a route I know well and the results are ok.
The funny part is, if you try to find LAX LHR for AA, you have AA137.
This is weird.

Thanks. I wonder if the problem is that the routing query became too complex and Matrix timed out? I was told ages ago by a Google employee that Matrix times out after a short period, to limit the resources it uses (only when queried from outside Google).

EDITED TO ADD: It also works if I use multi-city (but then I can't use the calendar search).
Old Aug 23, 21, 5:19 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinium- TK Elite, BA Silver
Question

Good afternoon,I'm tryingto find a ticket with IB with fare class Y or B only in economy
So I put in my extensions this:
AIRLINES IB / F bc=y|bc=b
and that answers me: SLICE-PERMITTED-CARRIERS: "F" is not a carrier
As if he didn't understand my / as a separator.

I have done something wrong ?

Thank you so much !
Old Aug 23, 21, 5:40 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
Write the part behind the / in the box on the right and remove the /
Old Aug 23, 21, 9:13 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by franssois69 View Post
Good afternoon,I'm tryingto find a ticket with IB with fare class Y or B only in economy
So I put in my extensions this:
AIRLINES IB / F bc=y|bc=b
and that answers me: SLICE-PERMITTED-CARRIERS: "F" is not a carrier
As if he didn't understand my / as a separator.

I have done something wrong ?

Thank you so much !
Adding to ChocolateFactory 's excellent answer.

For your search, select the "Advanced controls" option, this will display two input text boxes. The leftmost text box is for routing codes and the rightmost is for fare options. In the leftmost box, enter IB+ or O:IB+, depending on exactly what IB flights you are looking for. And in the rightmost box enter F bc=y|bc=b.
Old Aug 23, 21, 12:51 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinium- TK Elite, BA Silver
Thank you very much ChcolateFactory and cheltzel
It works perfectly Great tool !
have a nice evening !!!
Old Aug 23, 21, 12:53 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
You're welcome. You could also consider using "IB,I2+", I2 is Iberia Express.
Old Sep 12, 21, 11:58 am

Programs: Delta Diamond
Is there a way to exclude Delta Economy (E) from results?

I thought -CABIN 3 might, but that excludes main cabin as well.
Old Sep 12, 21, 12:03 pm

Is that E class you mean? Try with "F ~BC=E".
Old Sep 12, 21, 12:08 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond
Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory View Post
Is that E class you mean? Try with "F ~BC=E".
That works! Thanks!
ChocolateFactory likes this.
Old Sep 24, 21, 6:35 am

I've gotten a little rusty it seems. When I search for (E.g.) itineraries through JFK and specify "DL+ JFK" I get mostly what I expect though occasionally I'll get a mixed carrier itinerary with some but not all flights on DL (e.g. DL for first leg and UA for JFK-LAX). I can exclude these from the search results by clicking the "DL only" checkbox but I'm wondering if there's a syntax to feed in to exclude non DL results completely.
Old Sep 24, 21, 8:01 am

"DL" means that DL is the marketing carrier. If you want DL-operated flights, use "O: DL" (with no space in between) - that would also include codeshare flights (e.g. flights sold as AF/KL, but operated by DL). If you only want flights marketed and operated by DL, use "DL+" and then "-codeshare" in the field to the right.

If you want a DL flight from CDG to LAX via JFK, use "DL+ JFK DL+".

"+" means "one or more", if you only want direct flights, just use "DL".

Last edited by ChocolateFactory; Sep 24, 21 at 8:07 am
Old Sep 26, 21, 6:40 am

Does anyone know what the actual criteria that "-redeye" uses to exclude flights/itineraries? It seems to be doing what I want - I get some results that arrive after midnight but aren't what I would call a redeye (e.g. arriving at 12:45 AM), and it does show me itineraries with overnight layover/connections (which is fine, I can usually eliminate those with the maxdur parameter).

Just wondering what it actually looks for.
Old Sep 26, 21, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM MM, Mlife Noir, TR 7*, Marriott Tit, UA Plat, Hyatt Glob
Don't know the answer to that, but fwiw that there's also "-overnight" to exclude overnight layovers.

Search this Thread