ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search Consolidated Information and Help Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 4, 2014, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
ITA Matrix Search: http://matrix.itasoftware.com

You can sometimes see flights, fares and detailed fare rules that may not be reflected on an airline's website. Please read the thread for some tips and tricks, screen shots, etc.

A related thread, ITA-Matrix-PowerTools - Userscript for Orbitz/DL/UA/AA/BA/CZ/IB/LA/LH/LX/TK, discusses a user script which is maintained by fellow flyertalk members to enhance the already powerful Matrix of ITA Software by providing new features and booking links.

Additional details and tips on the use of ITA's advanced routing code feature can be found in the following long-standing Mileage Run Discussion threads:

Print Wikipost

ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search Consolidated Information and Help Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2022, 8:04 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
The dates field allows you to type two dates, with tab to go from outbound to inbound. Doing this re-formats the dates (e.g., "11/2" becomes "11/02") and clicking the calendar control shows the correct date range highlighted. But the "Search" button at the bottom is greyed out, with no explanation of why. Turns out I needed to go to the calendar control and re-select the already selected and highlighted dates. Only then did the "Search" button become active.

Please allow typing the dates.
Please have some error indication as to why the search button is inactive.
Old Feb 18, 2022, 8:07 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
I have an itinerary that works fine in oldmatrix but generates an error in newmatrix:

lax-cur
aa dfw aa mia aa
f ~bc=b
aa mia aa dfw aa
f ~bc=b

On oldmatrix it shows flights.
On newmatrix it results in an error:

I tried to submit this using the feedback link, but it doesn't seem to allow attaching an already-generated screenshot, only capturing one at the instant, but the error dialog must be dismissed in order to click the feedback link.
Old Feb 19, 2022, 12:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was really trying to like this but gave up.

Good luck
Old Feb 20, 2022, 3:22 pm

I could not find the send feedback link, but am trying to find where the flexible dates option is in the new version, assuming there is one. Am I just missing it?

And thanks for doing this, I use this all the time.
Old Feb 20, 2022, 3:27 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Originally Posted by tudorranch
I could not find the send feedback link, but am trying to find where the flexible dates option is in the new version, assuming there is one. Am I just missing it?

And thanks for doing this, I use this all the time.

Old Feb 24, 2022, 3:46 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
I have a text file containing a list of multiple destinations which I frequently use. On the old system I could copy and paste this directly into the destination field. On the new system it appears that I need to enter each destination individually and then hit return, which is tedious. Is there a work-around here?

This is at least partially replaced by the nice new feature to search for airports within a given distance of a reference. But this seems not to show all airports which meet the criterion (e.g. I search for "within 2000 miles of INN" and it failed to find both OPO and GOT).
andydd, mildfrequence and JALsnipe like this.
Old Feb 25, 2022, 12:05 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ITA Hacker
  • The new Matrix is faster.
I assume you mean the back-end is faster, because the page itself isn't. On the old version, the calendar pops up instantly, showing 2 months at a time and then disappears as soon as you select a date. On the new one, there's a detectable lag when you click on calendar, it only shows one month. More clicks, more bloated, visibly slower.

I'm not sure which is the worst thing about the new search page, the overlapping hard-to-read prices or the huge amount of whitespace that makes every aspect so much worse. (Search screen doesn't fit fully in the window any more; only 1/5 as many results appearing in the first page as before; site requires Google fonts, which I usually have blocked as they are also just extra bloat.)
Old Feb 25, 2022, 9:07 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ITA Hacker
Hi All,

For many years, we have maintained Matrix as an informal demonstration platform for the advanced features of our flight search technology – the same technology that underlies Google Flights and many airline websites. Unfortunately, the current Matrix website implementation relies on an internally deprecated web platform slated for retirement.

As a result, a band of dedicated Google “20% time” volunteers has been working to rewrite Matrix using newer web technologies like Angular, while aiming to preserve most of the existing functionality. You can now try out the new Matrix at the following url:

https://partnerdash.google.com/apps/matrix/search

Use the new Matrix to search for itineraries with the control and power you are used to, including routing and extension codes, calendar searches, filters, and time-bars to visualize the resulting options.

Use the Send Feedback link right from the new Matrix to tell us what works and what does not. We read all the feedback we receive.

The Matrix Crew
I really hate the new site. I appreciate volunteer efforts but don't fully understand how newer technologies make for a worse product. We are calling the same API's right, so why can't we have the same fields and functionality?
Old Feb 26, 2022, 10:51 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
High fares being reported on Matrix vs Google Flights and Airline website

I am doing a search for 2 business class seats between ORD and JNB on TK. I am seeing fares in Matrix of approximately $4600 (USD) per person when the actual lowest fate is approximately $3100. I am reporting this here as I cannot seem to be able to do a custom error report (including my own screen images) via the new Matrix feedback dialogues.

The issue is Matrix is not returning booking code J fares for the flights while Google Flights and the TK website return them. I have wrapped the images in Spoiler controls to minimize the real estate taken when browsing the thread.

Here is the image of for my Matrix search. I am doing specific dates search to give you the most granular data. This fare issue occurs for calendar searches as well.
Spoiler

After flight selection, here is the selected itinerary followed by the fare detail.
Spoiler

Here are the same flights as selected on Google Flights. An additional data point, I get the same result by plugging my dates in to the TK flight search.
Spoiler

Old Feb 26, 2022, 12:15 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Matrix has never handled TK's married segment inventory correctly. Since TK is my primary carrier, I use Matrix with "Only show flights and prices with available seats" unchecked to get fares/pricing and a separate inventory datasource (I prefer ExpertFlyer).
Old Feb 26, 2022, 12:52 pm

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
Matrix has never handled TK's married segment inventory correctly. Since TK is my primary carrier, I use Matrix with "Only show flights and prices with available seats" unchecked to get fares/pricing and a separate inventory datasource (I prefer ExpertFlyer).
A lot of airlines use married segments for fares. I wonder what TK is doing that causes Matrix to have this issue. The fares must be available in the online data sources as GF has no issue seeing it.

I had noticed with Matrix that I needed to search for TK specifically prior to this to get results. But I had seen the J fares show up with matrix for earlier dates but it seems like this just popped up in the last month or so.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 4:57 pm

Programs: JMB, Bonvoy, Hyatt
I appreciate the effort to modernize ITA Matrix so that it can be kept around (instead of killed off like other Google products in the past). I do hope these issues can be worked through and improved upon.

FWIW I'm running into an issue on the frontend that makes it unusable for me. I'd enter a single origin and destination, enable advanced options. When I fill in all the routing and extension code fields, and then pick something that isn't "This day only" for both dates, advanced options will auto close and wipe out all of my advanced input. I hope this is something that can be fixed because it is pretty difficult to use in the current state.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 7:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by SugoiHikouki
I appreciate the effort to modernize ITA Matrix so that it can be kept around (instead of killed off like other Google products in the past).
I echo this appreciation. Thank you!
Old Feb 27, 2022, 6:08 am

Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
I have almost never been able to get correct TK availability on ITA. This bug has been there for as long as I have used matrix, i..e several years. There are few other airlines whose availability isnt correct..I think that AC is another one..but not 100% sure.

And I am talking of simple roundtrip on TK, i.e. not multicity.
Old Feb 28, 2022, 7:29 am

Asking folks much more brilliant than I.

I'd like to take advanatge of this today: *A IAH Deal (except in early 2023 where it still prices out well).

The rules state that I can have a free stopover each way; I think as follows: 2 FREE STOPOVERS PERMITTED ON THE PRICING UNIT - 1 IN EACH
DIRECTION IN FRA/MUC/GVA/VIE/ZRH/BRU/BER/DUS/LIS/OPO/
REK/PDL.

Whenever I try to edit a stopover, using any of the above cities, the pricing increases significantly.

For example, if I chose: Steve Example 1, and I want a stopover in FRA for 3 days;or I want the stopover in LIS rather than FRA, even though I may have to fly DXB to FRA to LIS, the fare increases significantly.

I am sure that I am using the tool incorrectly. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.