ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search Consolidated Information and Help Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 4, 2014, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
ITA Matrix Search: http://matrix.itasoftware.com

You can sometimes see flights, fares and detailed fare rules that may not be reflected on an airline's website. Please read the thread for some tips and tricks, screen shots, etc.

A related thread, ITA-Matrix-PowerTools - Userscript for Orbitz/DL/UA/AA/BA/CZ/IB/LA/LH/LX/TK, discusses a user script which is maintained by fellow flyertalk members to enhance the already powerful Matrix of ITA Software by providing new features and booking links.

Additional details and tips on the use of ITA's advanced routing code feature can be found in the following long-standing Mileage Run Discussion threads:

Print Wikipost

ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search Consolidated Information and Help Thread

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2022, 2:26 am

Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory
He already mentioned that he uses the PowerTools, but that he can’t reproduce the pricing. I guess it could be an issue with married segments, but I would just call TK or contact a travel agent to know for sure…
From my exprience I'm nearly 100% sure that the problem is married segment.
jona970318 likes this.
Old May 22, 2022, 4:40 am

Programs: UA GS 2MM
New ITA Matrix user interface

Originally Posted by ITA Hacker
Hi All,

For many years, we have maintained Matrix as an informal demonstration platform for the advanced features of our flight search technology – the same technology that underlies Google Flights and many airline websites. Unfortunately, the current Matrix website implementation relies on an internally deprecated web platform slated for retirement.

As a result, a band of dedicated Google “20% time” volunteers has been working to rewrite Matrix using newer web technologies like Angular, while aiming to preserve most of the existing functionality. You can now try out the new Matrix at the following url:

https://partnerdash.google.com/apps/matrix/search

Use the new Matrix to search for itineraries with the control and power you are used to, including routing and extension codes, calendar searches, filters, and time-bars to visualize the resulting options.

Use the Send Feedback link right from the new Matrix to tell us what works and what does not. We read all the feedback we receive.

The Matrix Crew
I understand systems going out of date - its something we can't avoid - but the old interface has some big advantages - its compact, everything is there. The new interface - well I simply could not even input a return date! Only the number of days- this is not useful When I am traveling to africa for example, its hit an miss when you use number of days as the out and return trips go over mulltple days! anyway, I just like the old system a lot better.
jona970318 likes this.
Old May 22, 2022, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by jpr1953
I understand systems going out of date - its something we can't avoid - but the old interface has some big advantages - its compact, everything is there. The new interface - well I simply could not even input a return date! Only the number of days- this is not useful When I am traveling to africa for example, its hit an miss when you use number of days as the out and return trips go over mulltple days! anyway, I just like the old system a lot better.
Do you by chance have "See calendar of lower fares" selected? That shows Start Date and Duration fields, just like the old interface. If "Search exact date" is selected, then outbound and return dates (for roundtrip flights) can be entered. At least that's how it is for me.

I agree with you though on liking the compactness and organization of the old interface better.
Old May 22, 2022, 8:04 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
Is there an option to filter out “preferred cabin not available” flights already in the search interface?
It’s a bit frustrating to see lots of availability in the calendar and when you click on a date, for every itinerary, half of the flights are in premium economy instead of business class etc.
I can of course filter them out later, but I’d prefer them to be filtered out already in the calendar view…
ExpatExp likes this.
Old May 22, 2022, 8:29 pm

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Is there an option to filter out “preferred cabin not available” flights already in the search interface?
It’s a bit frustrating to see lots of availability in the calendar and when you click on a date, for every itinerary, half of the flights are in premium economy instead of business class etc.
I can of course filter them out later, but I’d prefer them to be filtered out already in the calendar view…
I've used -CABIN 3 in the Extension Codes field on both the outbound and return to eliminate economy legs on more complex routings. If you look at the help for the Extension Codes it talks about using Premium Economy as the CABIN selector, but I personally have never used it.
Old May 22, 2022, 9:33 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
Thank you, that’s a good idea! I’m searching for a flight between Europe and the US, so it’s a mix of international business class and domestic first class. But I guess I could simply exclude both premium economy and economy. Will give that a try.
Old May 31, 2022, 5:49 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
ITA Hacker there is still a really bizarre UI bug in the new interface, which I am pretty sure I reported via the feedback link, but posting about it again here on FT to boost the signal since it has been at least a few months.

Steps to reproduce, starting from a clean slate:

1. enter origin/dest airports
2. pick dates
3. click to Add Advanced Controls
4. enter something in all 4 text boxes for routing codes and extended codes for both outbound and return (it doesn't seem to matter what you enter here)
5. change departure spec from "This Day Only" to "+/- 1 day"
6. change return spec from "This Day Only" to "+/- 1 day"

As soon as you mouse-up from clicking on "+/- 1 day" the advanced controls box disappears! If you click on Add Advanced Controls the previously entered routing/extended code have been cleared.

You can also do these steps in the order 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 4. As soon as you enter something into the return flight extended codes box, the Advanced Controls disppear again.

The net effect is that you can not do a +/- day search with extended codes. It does not seem to matter whether you use the mouse/click or use tab to shift focus and enter to select the menu items. I've turned off things like UBO and the userscript and can still reproduce so pretty sure those are unrelated.
Old Jun 2, 2022, 3:39 am

Programs: BA gold, Hilton Diamond
when clicking on the link in Chrome on the matrix final results page which is howing the price for me itinary, I get the message BookWithMatrix can only work with the final results pages. Click on the price to view the final "Itinerary details" page before using it!what did I do wrong? it used to work in the past and I think Im on the right page
Old Jun 2, 2022, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is there anyway to specify flights which are only open in a minimum RBD? E.g., to only show flights which are H class or above, but not lower RBDs because they are already closed for sale.
Old Jun 2, 2022, 8:41 am

You’d have to explicitly include or exclude booking classes.
Old Jun 2, 2022, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You’d have to explicitly include or exclude booking classes.
Does that option negate flights where the RBDs are sold out?
Old Jun 2, 2022, 10:13 am

There’s a checkbox at the bottom, “only show flights with availability”. That will exclude RBDs that are sold out.
hugolover likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2022, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I believe the command is F ~bc=Q&~bc=V etc
However its returning flights where the RBD is not sold out, its just giving me a fare with the included RBD's whether it's sold out or not
I specifically want it to return flights which are only available in a minimum of H
Old Jun 2, 2022, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Note that the bc syntax sets the prime booking code of the fare covering the flight, not the actual bucket that the fare books on a particular flight. For instance, a BA F- fare will be selected with bc=F, and will usually book F, but it may book into Y if an aircraft does not offer any of F, A, J, C, D, R, I.
Old Jun 2, 2022, 2:17 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by stijnec
when clicking on the link in Chrome on the matrix final results page which is howing the price for me itinary, I get the message BookWithMatrix can only work with the final results pages. Click on the price to view the final "Itinerary details" page before using it!what did I do wrong? it used to work in the past and I think Im on the right page
We have a thread discussing Book with Matrix and another one announcing the Chrome extension:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.