ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search Consolidated Information and Help Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 4, 2014, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
ITA Matrix Search: http://matrix.itasoftware.com

You can sometimes see flights, fares and detailed fare rules that may not be reflected on an airline's website. Please read the thread for some tips and tricks, screen shots, etc.

A related thread, ITA-Matrix-PowerTools - Userscript for Orbitz/DL/UA/AA/BA/CZ/IB/LA/LH/LX/TK, discusses a user script which is maintained by fellow flyertalk members to enhance the already powerful Matrix of ITA Software by providing new features and booking links.

Additional details and tips on the use of ITA's advanced routing code feature can be found in the following long-standing Mileage Run Discussion threads:

Print Wikipost

ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search Consolidated Information and Help Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2022, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Globaliser
This is not true. If you book an I class fare for (eg) AMS-LHR-JNB-LHR-AMS, the AMS-LHR and LHR-AMS flights will book in to J and the trip will price and be bookable even if I is closed on those flights.
2. This is not universally true, either. There are times when (say) D may have zero inventory but R will have some. It's rare, but it can happen.
1) Yes, I'm aware . Works that way on many carriers including LH Group, A segments and J feeder, Y feeder for F on LO, but in my case it's not relevant which is why I wrote that I dismissed it because the fare first letter matched the RBD.
2) Again, possible and I was just giving an example of how inventory tends to be sold, I wasn't interested in anything below J or C actually.

From other replies it seems it's not possible, which is fair enough, probably no one would want it so far.

I'll just stick to the old fashioned and time consuming way of checking each flight. Never mind, thanks for all the replies.
Old Jun 5, 2022, 1:07 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
You don’t have to check each flight.
SN Booking in specific booking class

Basically you just use filters to make sure only the flights you’re interested in will show up (e.g. specifying “BA+”).
Then you go to the calendar view and click on the days with higher prices until you find the booking class you want. That’s it.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 6:02 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by jh321
Hello, I'm really hoping someone can help me with a search - I was sort of ok before Covid, but I'm out of practice and struggling to read the guides for this. If anyone can help me with how I can set it up so I can look for best fares I'd be so grateful!. The parts that are hard are that I want to fly BA (or AA now), with a BA GUF, paying for Premium Econ but upgrading to Business with the GUF. So I need to look for availability in the upgraded cabin, but price the PE (I assume that's two separate searches). So I think this is the hard part, what code do I need to show 'upgradeable' PE?
This is a fairly common thing for people with AA SWUs, and to my knowledge there's no great way to do it. What I do is use Expert Flyer to find flights with the upgrade inventory, and then use the routing controls in Matrix to force those flights to be used. In EF the Award and Upgrade query shows the results (best to query with "Direct/Non-Stop Only" selected). In Matrix the flights can be ORed. However, often Matrix just says "No Flights Found" even though clearing the routing controls shows those same flights being used. I've never been able to figure out how to keep that from happening.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 12:04 pm
UXP

How to find 2+ legs in BC for European flights

I probably need 1 (U)XP-run at end of year in BC with 2 legs or more, preferably in Europe. How would I instruct https://partnerdash.google.com/apps/matrix/search to search for just that? It doesn't seem possible. Any ideas? Or maybe an idea for a different tool?
Old Jun 21, 2022, 3:36 pm

Programs: JMB, Bonvoy, Hyatt
Originally Posted by SugoiHikouki
I appreciate the effort to modernize ITA Matrix so that it can be kept around (instead of killed off like other Google products in the past). I do hope these issues can be worked through and improved upon.

FWIW I'm running into an issue on the frontend that makes it unusable for me. I'd enter a single origin and destination, enable advanced options. When I fill in all the routing and extension code fields, and then pick something that isn't "This day only" for both dates, advanced options will auto close and wipe out all of my advanced input. I hope this is something that can be fixed because it is pretty difficult to use in the current state.
Hi, this issue still exists and may have fallen off the radar. I've since made a screen recording of this issue:
Old Jun 22, 2022, 9:54 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Hi, this issue still exists and may have fallen off the radar. I've since made a screen recording of this issue:
I tried bumping this in May, with steps to reproduce: ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search Consolidated Information and Help Thread

Originally Posted by Zorak
ITA Hacker there is still a really bizarre UI bug in the new interface, which I am pretty sure I reported via the feedback link, but posting about it again here on FT to boost the signal since it has been at least a few months.

Steps to reproduce, starting from a clean slate:
[...]
but no response. (I had missed/forgotten about your report back in Feb)

@ITA Hacker any help here? I hope this gets fixed before oldmatrix gets shut down for good...
SugoiHikouki likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 8:36 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Is there any way to filter out LGT fares on UA/*A? I tried doing f ~..-LGT but it just whirls and never loads. Any other ideas?
Old Jul 6, 2022, 3:53 pm
Company Representative - ITA Software

Hey all --

Originally Posted by Zorak
I tried bumping this in May
Yes, this is on my list of top bugs to fix. I apologize that we haven't been able to fix it so far.
SugoiHikouki and Zorak like this.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by dinoscool3
Is there any way to filter out LGT fares on UA/*A? I tried doing f ~..-LGT but it just whirls and never loads. Any other ideas?
I tried this and it seems to work -- I get results back, and none of the UA itineraries use -LGT fares. Can you provide a more-specific recipe to reproduce this?
Old Jul 14, 2022, 9:44 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by ITA Hacker
I tried this and it seems to work -- I get results back, and none of the UA itineraries use -LGT fares. Can you provide a more-specific recipe to reproduce this?
Sorry, meant to leave an update, it works fine now, no idea what was happening before.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 5:49 am

Originally Posted by IAkH

[0.55.4] - 2022-06-30

Edited by IAkH
  • fixed Turkish Airlines link (unfortunately, they no longer appear to have a deeplink despite its name)
  • added GotoGate and FlightHub links
Hi, I'm trying to use ITA Matrix to book Turkish flights. It's offering some great prices, but they are not bookable either on the Turkish website (even manually putting them in after your tweak above), or on any of the powertools sites. Well actually 1 works - budgetair, but looking at their feedback on trustpilot uk it seems as though many people booking Turkish run into problems with this company due to the flights they thought they had booked not actually being delivered.
None of the other sites that the powertools pump the data through to actually come up with the price ITA Matrix quotes.

So the question is, does the ITA Matrix software actually check flights that are live and available, or could it be that they are flights that are already full ??
Sorry if this is a nooby question, but it's a powerful site that is not much use if the theory can't be converted into a ticket.
Old Jul 25, 2022, 1:22 pm

Hi, this issue still exists and may have fallen off the radar.
This is fixed now -- please let me know if you run into any issues like this again.
Old Jul 25, 2022, 2:28 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
It's a typical issue with TK. ITA Matrix isn't showing correct availability. The question comes up here every couple weeks.
Old Aug 13, 2022, 8:36 am

need help trying to book a flight ive found on ita

it seems that an IB marketed, AA operated flight has been completely fabricated by ITA.
The 7:50pm flight doesn't exist anywhere - even on AA's website.

I think this is the reason i can't book it with powertools.
The flight is "found" on Priceline, but when i put payment details in, and click the purchase button, it says this flight no longer exists.

Priceline link: LINK

Is it possible that with a small tweak somewhere, i am able to change the fabricated segment to a genuine flight, allowing me to book for the same price??
Any help would be hugely appreciated.
thanks

here are the details:

Old Aug 13, 2022, 8:58 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by tarman121
need help trying to book a flight ive found on ita

it seems that an IB marketed, AA operated flight has been completely fabricated by ITA.
The 7:50pm flight doesn't exist anywhere - even on AA's website.

I think this is the reason i can't book it with powertools.
The flight is "found" on Priceline, but when i put payment details in, and click the purchase button, it says this flight no longer exists.

Priceline link: LINK

Is it possible that with a small tweak somewhere, i am able to change the fabricated segment to a genuine flight, allowing me to book for the same price??
Any help would be hugely appreciated.
thanks

here are the details:

I think the issue is the codeshare flight as published by IB is incorrect. I looked at the schedule on EF MIA-LHR on that date and it agrees with the search results you posted.

Results from https://www.ExpertFlyer.com
Code:
Flight Timetables Search:
Search MIA to LHR on 09/04/22

Flight Stops Depart Arrive Aircraft Duration Frequency Effective Ending

AA 38 0 MIA 7:30 PM LHR 9:25 AM +1 77W 8 hrs 55 mins Daily 08/16/22 09/06/22

IB (AA) 4251 0 MIA 7:50 PM LHR 9:25 AM +1 77W 8 hrs 35 mins Daily 08/16/22 10/28/22

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.