ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search Consolidated Information and Help Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 4, 2014, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
ITA Matrix Search: http://matrix.itasoftware.com

You can sometimes see flights, fares and detailed fare rules that may not be reflected on an airline's website. Please read the thread for some tips and tricks, screen shots, etc.

A related thread, ITA-Matrix-PowerTools - Userscript for Orbitz/DL/UA/AA/BA/CZ/IB/LA/LH/LX/TK, discusses a user script which is maintained by fellow flyertalk members to enhance the already powerful Matrix of ITA Software by providing new features and booking links.

Additional details and tips on the use of ITA's advanced routing code feature can be found in the following long-standing Mileage Run Discussion threads:

Print Wikipost

ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search Consolidated Information and Help Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2022, 1:43 am

Definitely a minor one, but would be good if we could have support for non-US dates and times i.e. DD/MM/YY and 24hr clock?
Old Feb 3, 2022, 11:51 am

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Looks like the new version is now the default.
EDIT: maybe not, or was just temporary.
Old Feb 3, 2022, 9:33 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA, AA EXP, AS MVP75K GOLD, HHonors Diamond, BW Diamond, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by rajhyd99
Before for old site https://matrix.itasoftware.com/ I used to have extension called "Might Matrix" to Save and name the Query. How to make to work for new site address "https://oldmatrix.itasoftware.com" ? For some reason I am not able to add the site address in Extensions details. Do we need to have admin permission on my laptop ?

Sounds like a useful extension.

Where can one locate that?
Old Feb 3, 2022, 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by rajhyd99
Before for old site https://matrix.itasoftware.com/ I used to have extension called "Might Matrix" to Save and name the Query. How to make to work for new site address "https://oldmatrix.itasoftware.com" ? For some reason I am not able to add the site address in Extensions details. Do we need to have admin permission on my laptop ?
Powertools saves your history and allows you to copy paste it and should still work for oldmatrix
Old Feb 4, 2022, 1:01 pm

New version is awful. Long live another great tool gone down the drain. Why does it need to be so clunky? The old version had so much less fat
Old Feb 4, 2022, 2:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Former Hilton Diamond and Marriott Plat
Thanks ITA Hacker for all of your work to keep Matrix around and not simply die!
Globaliser and Zorak like this.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 2:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Former Hilton Diamond and Marriott Plat
Couple feedbacks
1 - If you click the advanced routing codes toggle, it removes all the codes you have typed in. i just misclicked it and had to retype them
2 - There are scroll bars for no reason when using routing codes limiting to a specific airline

3 - I exclusively use the time bars view. It would be great to have a cookie or something that would remember that so I don't have to click each time

4 - Strange bug... Steps to reproduce...
Search MCO to SEA. Routing rules AA LAX AA outbound, AA AA MIA AA return. Calendar of lowest dates starting Feb 17. First Class.
Try to choose the 3rd flight.

No matter where I click (price or time bar), it ends up choosing the top.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 3:11 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by AndyPok1
1 - If you click the advanced routing codes toggle, it removes all the codes you have typed in. i just misclicked it and had to retype them
The old Matrix does this, too. I've used it as a quick way to clear all the codes. Clicking by accident would be annoying.

3 - I exclusively use the time bars view. It would be great to have a cookie or something that would remember that so I don't have to click each time
This is a great idea. It would also save some time and presumably some back-end load, since Matrix seems to recalculate when switching views. Although I'd much prefer a checkbox or pop-up control for which view, since my browsers are set to delete cookies on quit.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 3:21 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Old Matrix has a way to filter for preferred times in the search parameters (before performing the search) -- I don't think I see a way to do this in the new interface

Old Feb 4, 2022, 3:24 pm
Company Representative - ITA Software

Thanks ITA Hacker for all of your work to keep Matrix around and not simply die!
Thanks!
bowzer91 and Gastrocnemius like this.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 3:36 pm

Couple feedbacks
As mentioned by someone else, this is how Matrix 3 behaves as well.

2 - There are scroll bars for no reason when using routing codes limiting to a specific airline
I'll take a look at that.

We'll give this consideration. Matrix 3 remembers whether you used time bars last or not.

4 - Strange bug... Steps to reproduce...
Search MCO to SEA. Routing rules AA LAX AA outbound, AA AA MIA AA return. Calendar of lowest dates starting Feb 17. First Class.
Try to choose the 3rd flight.
No matter where I click (price or time bar), it ends up choosing the top.
Yes, I can reproduce this. Thanks!
aktchi and AndyPok1 like this.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by Dave_C
Definitely a minor one, but would be good if we could have support for non-US dates and times i.e. DD/MM/YY and 24hr clock?
We've had several requests for that -- we're investigating the issue.
Old Feb 5, 2022, 10:43 am

Programs: KLM/AF Platinum for life, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Ah. For me this New version is kind of like the demise of easySabre back in the early days of the internet. Command-line access to searching prices that didn't require mouse clicks. It is honestly one of the primary GUI features I liked in the old matrix. I could do 90% of my work using the keyboard. Calendar and class were about the only clicks I needed. [calendar is still a serious drawback on the tablet] I am still using 3rd and 4th level keystrokes in excel and word. Mouse is fine, but it slows things down considerably for me. I guess I can now move myself over into the old fogey column as technology passes me by.
PanAmSam likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2022, 12:17 pm

Am I wrong or did old matrix tell you when the reason there were no results was an error? Took me forever last night to realize the reason I was getting no results was I typed VA into the extension instead of VS.
Old Feb 5, 2022, 2:49 pm

Let me share my remarks. I use mostly web browser on PC (not really interested in the improvements for mobile devices).
1) looking for the lowest fares (See calendar of lowest fares) it shows the fares, but to see the time span I have to click, in the old version it was much more convenient (just hovering the mouse over the selected date);
2) if I select a return flight result and want to "Modify search" making Multi city, but based on this specific result, it was way more convenient in the old version, I had all desired data already filled and could just add some more legs, in the new version I have to fill the data manually
3) this is a request which is pretty logical since it is impossible to define Origin airports from various countries... so would you please provide an option to select airports from a given country? E.g. typing Poland, I would like to have an option to select some or even all airports from this country. I think it would be not so difficult since the ariports are actually listed... (but not possible to select them).
Thansk for your great job!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.