FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Technology (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology-169/)
-   -   [archived] Favorite iPhone/iPad applications (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology/848219-archived-favorite-iphone-ipad-applications.html)

adambadam Sep 21, 2010 11:40 am

Originally Posted by planemechanic (Post 14732434)
My experience so far:

crash, crash, crash. So bad I had to delete and reload it.

Can't figure out how to remove files from iTunes, maybe from the app itself. Won't run .mkv files, i think that is what was causing the crashes. Only one button on the app, no help files that I could see, and almost nothing on iTunes about how it works, what files it runs, pretty much nothing.

Color me not impressed.

Are the files that make it crash particularly large? Especially when it comes to bit rate and resolution? Also you can remove the files from iTunes (on a Mac at least) by just hitting delete when you select it on the Apps tab in your iPad preferences (same place you add the file). I can't figure out if there is a way to delete when from the iPad itself.

yosithezet Sep 21, 2010 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by wco81 (Post 14733376)
Do you have to sync the movie files over?

Isn't there some app. that will stream from your Mac or PC over to iPad?

And you can then watch movies in your house. What about airports?

wco81 Sep 21, 2010 12:28 pm

I don't need to watch a movie everywhere. If you're going to sync, you can just as easily convert it in Handbrake and then load it that way and don't have to rely on a buggy app. to play back the content.

There's also Slingbox if you must have access to your DVR everywhere.

bp888 Sep 21, 2010 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by nmenaker (Post 14733863)
If you want to stream and have a mac or pc running on the LAN or WAN even, then you can use Air Video which works quite excellent IMHO. Converts on the fly, quality is excellent, takes pretty much everything I throw at it.

But, it is a streamer and won't work say on a plane.

Originally Posted by wco81 (Post 14737441)
There's also Slingbox if you must have access to your DVR everywhere.

+1. Both Air Video and Slingbox apps work over 3G or Wi-Fi and have gotten so good lately that I honestly don't see the need for non-streaming apps like VLC unless they provide additional functions that streaming apps don't or can't, such as, 5-sec, or 30-sec scan forward or scan backwards, slow motion, etc. In other words, what VLC can do when running on a PC or Mac.

yosithezet Sep 21, 2010 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by bp888 (Post 14738202)
+1. Both Air Video and Slingbox apps work over 3G or Wi-Fi and have gotten so good lately that I honestly don't see the need for non-streaming apps like VLC unless they provide additional functions that streaming apps don't or can't, such as, 5-sec, or 30-sec scan forward or scan backwards, slow motion, etc. In other words, what VLC can do when running on a PC or Mac.

Neither work on a plane or in a place without access to 3G or Wi-Fi. I wanted to use Handbrake but couldn't find a iPad preset to use. I'm using Cinexplayer to watch movies.

bp888 Sep 21, 2010 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by yosithezet (Post 14738547)
Neither work on a plane or in a place without access to 3G or Wi-Fi. I wanted to use Handbrake but couldn't find a iPad preset to use. I'm using Cinexplayer to watch movies.

You can download iPad/iPhone 4 presets here.

yosithezet Sep 21, 2010 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by bp888 (Post 14743771)
You can download iPad/iPhone 4 presets here.

Thanks! ^

stimpy Sep 22, 2010 3:10 am

It seems the Samsung Galaxy Tab has Divx HD pre-installed. http://galaxytab.samsungmobile.com/

Why can't Apple do a deal with Divx?

bobsmo Sep 22, 2010 4:22 am

CineXPlayer and OPlayerHD are also good.

planemechanic Sep 22, 2010 5:22 am

Originally Posted by adambadam (Post 14736740)
Are the files that make it crash particularly large? Especially when it comes to bit rate and resolution? Also you can remove the files from iTunes (on a Mac at least) by just hitting delete when you select it on the Apps tab in your iPad preferences (same place you add the file). I can't figure out if there is a way to delete when from the iPad itself.

That is completely counter-intuitive. There is a button for loading, one for saving, but not one for deleting? There is no menu choice to delete the file either? You have to use the keyboard delete key to delete the file. So far, not impressed with the operation or design.

wco81 Sep 22, 2010 8:29 am

Originally Posted by stimpy (Post 14746539)
It seems the Samsung Galaxy Tab has Divx HD pre-installed. http://galaxytab.samsungmobile.com/

Why can't Apple do a deal with Divx?

Might alienate Hollywood, with which Apple is trying to sign deals for content.

yosithezet Sep 22, 2010 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by planemechanic (Post 14747163)
That is completely counter-intuitive. There is a button for loading, one for saving, but not one for deleting? There is no menu choice to delete the file either? You have to use the keyboard delete key to delete the file. So far, not impressed with the operation or design.

Swipe right on the file name and press delete?

planemechanic Sep 22, 2010 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by yosithezet (Post 14756406)
Swipe right on the file name and press delete?

Yes, you select the file and then use the keyboard delete key.

Seems counter-intuitive when there are Load and Save buttons right there. No menu selection available to delete the file, and you can't delete from within the App, as you can with iBooks and iTunes.

yosithezet Sep 23, 2010 12:53 am

That isn't what I suggested. In Cinexplayer, on the iPad, you select a movie and swipe over the name to the right. A "delete" button appears. Not saying it is intuitive, but it seems to be the way to do so from within the app.

planemechanic Sep 23, 2010 3:08 am

Originally Posted by yosithezet (Post 14759383)
That isn't what I suggested. In Cinexplayer, on the iPad, you select a movie and swipe over the name to the right. A "delete" button appears. Not saying it is intuitive, but it seems to be the way to do so from within the app.

Just tried that in VLC, it doesn't work. But thanks for the tip. Hopefully the next update will make things better.

^