Search

New iPhone is here!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2019, 2:30 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by GUWonder
I've now fixed the cases for an iPhone 6, 8 and 11 Pro to be part of the same branded series with a hard plastic case layer first with a rubber-type case on top of the hard plastic case; and of those I'm finding the 11 Pro to have the weaker signal wi-fi router receptions at various places.

I'll try to do the same thing later with the same devices without any case and see what happens to the differences then.
The encased 11 Pro has shorter WiFi signal reception range than even the somewhat more encased 6 and 6s. How much weaker than those? Seems to be somewhere between 10-25% weaker range than the older encased phones.
Old Oct 17, 2020, 9:42 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Thought I’d resurrect this thread now that the 12 is out. Does anyone know if I can just take my trade in right into an ATT store for instant credit towards new phone? I see on their site to mail it in but then folks claim ATT devalues it for screen cracks etc when it didn’t have cracks.

I’m also wondering if anyone has had any luck getting a discount on the 11.
Old Oct 17, 2020, 10:11 pm

Amazon did that to me when I exchanged an old Kindle. Nothing at all wrong with the old Kindle, they claimed it had cracks in the screen. What a way to PO a customer. I did get the credit for the device after contacting amazon.

I've done the iPhone trade in with Apple last time. It was fine, I got the full credit for the device (Xs max for 11 Pro Max), which I think was more than I expected to get for some reason. Sorry, haven't done it with AT&T. I think in all cases, you get the credit later, after the third party company processes your old device.

-David
Stgermainparis likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2020, 1:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
Thought I’d resurrect this thread now that the 12 is out. Does anyone know if I can just take my trade in right into an ATT store for instant credit towards new phone? I see on their site to mail it in but then folks claim ATT devalues it for screen cracks etc when it didn’t have cracks.
Yes, you can. Though you will probably want to take your old phone home with you after you order/reserve the new one as deliveries won't be for another week or so. Then you just take your old phone back into your local store when the new one is delivered and they will take $11.50-$26.50/month off of your bill for the next 30 months [$350-$800 over the course of 30 months].

The deal that AT&T is running right now is pretty mind-blowing. $800 trade-in on a 4-year-old iPhone 8 makes the $1100 iPhone 12 Pro 256 that I just got a net of $300. Well, plus the stupid "we're charging you an additional $30 for the privilege of getting a new phone just because we can" fee

Of course there is one catch though [there always is]. To get the $350-800 trade-in, you have to use the 30-month installment plan. It's free money so-to-speak, but it keeps you chained to AT&T for another two and a half years. Which works for me as I wasn't planning on going anywhere else anyway.

I’m also wondering if anyone has had any luck getting a discount on the 11.
Yes, the deal applies to the 11, 11 Pro, and 11 Pro Max as well - if there are any left when you do it. Have heard from friends that it's already slim pickings on the 11 though.

I initially went in to get an 11 Pro 256 at $1049 before they were all gone, assuming that it would be a lot cheaper than the new 12 Pro. Nope, not really. The 12 Pro 256 is only $49 more. So going with the 12 Pro was a no-brainer.
Stgermainparis likes this.

Last edited by anrkitec; Oct 18, 2020 at 12:51 pm
Old Oct 18, 2020, 5:29 pm

Programs: *G
I'm really curious. What happens to all these devices that gets traded in to the manufacturer?

Of course the very old devices gets sold to a recycler. But the middle aged devices - say iphone 8 and iphone 9 - does that get sold to some party who does refurb and resell? Or are those also destined to scrap for parts? Surely apple wouldn't want older devices floating around in secondary markets.

And if course the trade-in works as tax offset against profit.

So basically, from manufacturers perspective:
* Encourage more sales and net higher volumes and (top line) rev
* Reduces tax liability somewhat
* Pocket a tiny bit of income from selling to recyclers
* Have new devices floating around
Old Oct 18, 2020, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Some are refurbed for resale, by Apple, the carriers, and others. Some are refurbed for insurance companies that replace your device if lost/stolen. Others are broken down with many valuable materials recaptured for use in future products. Other bulk material (plastic, metal, etc) are recycled.
Old Oct 18, 2020, 11:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FWIW, AT&T isn't offering the $350-800 trade-in deal on the 12 Mini.

Why - whether they expect that model to sell like hotcakes anyway, there just isn't enough profit in that model, or there isn't any manufacturer support or rebates - is anyone's guess.
Old Oct 19, 2020, 3:16 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
I usually don’t want the latest and greatest

But the new 12 pro seems pretty sweet.Talk me out of it please as I really can’t afford it. Currently have an 11 pro and am pretty happy.
Old Oct 19, 2020, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by squeakr
But the new 12 pro seems pretty sweet.Talk me out of it please as I really can’t afford it. Currently have an 11 pro and am pretty happy.
Are you with AT&T?

Because if you are, after trading in your 11, the new 12 Pro 256 will only cost you $300 spread out over the next 30 months. Can you afford to pay an extra ~$11.50/month on your bill? If so then you can afford it.

As for the phone itself, the 12 Pro upgrades over the 11 Pro are a faster processor, 5G [both bands], MagSafe charging [likely to be one of the most immediately useful upgrades IMO], a slightly bigger and higher resolution screen, ceramic coated screen, better water resistance, DolbyVision and 4K HDR at 60 FPS, LiDAR and all the AI that brings, Night Mode portraits, and FaceTime in 1080P HD.

Don't know how much any of that is worth to you personally, but there it is.
Old Oct 19, 2020, 4:53 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
As an 11 Pro owner, what is it that makes the 12 pro and trading up to it compelling for you? Oh wait, anrkitec sold me on it -- if it only meant $11.50 per month for me over 30 months. [Unfortunately, it doesn't for me.]

Are the carrier trade-in offers relatively poorer value for the 11 Pro with 512GB than for the 11 Pro with less storage?

What are the best trade-in offers in the US for 11 Pro owners who don't want to be tied to a phone service contract?
Old Oct 19, 2020, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As an 11 Pro owner, what is it that makes the 12 pro and trading up to it compelling for you? Oh wait, anrkitec sold me on it -- if it only meant $11.50 per month for me over 30 months. [Unfortunately, it doesn't for me.]

Are the carrier trade-in offers relatively poorer value for the 11 Pro with 512GB than for the 11 Pro with less storage?
Can only speak to AT&T because as a loyal captured through bundled discounts customer, they are the only ones I checked, but it isn’t a sliding scale, it’s binary. The 6 through 7s get a $350 credit and the 8 through 11 Pro Max get an $800 credit.

What are the best trade-in offers in the US for 11 Pro owners who don't want to be tied to a phone service contract?

Sorry, can’t help there.

Last edited by anrkitec; Oct 19, 2020 at 5:36 pm
Old Oct 19, 2020, 5:11 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
I have the 11 Pro and am not even tempted. Mine was a straight up unlocked purchase so could do a trade in for the $800. But 5G is not available everywhere and I just don’t think the upgrades will make my phone “experience” that much better. We have an iPhone 6s and an 8 and I’d like to upgrade those to the 12. Don’t like not being able to unlock it for international travel though. I wish they’d allow unlock as long as you stay with ATT for credits. OTOH not sure how much international travel we will be doing LOL.
Old Oct 19, 2020, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have the 11 Pro and am not even tempted.
As I said, I went in initially to get the 11 Pro, thinking the 12 would be significantly more. But, as it was only $49 more I got the 12 Pro.

But if that hadn't been the case, I would have happily got the 11 Pro. Still a heck of a phone.

As you point out, 5G isn't very useful now, but it will be in a couple of years and I typically keep phones for 3+ years. But the MagSafe and a couple of other features are really compelling. Perhaps less so for current 11 Pro owners.

I have to say though, I will really miss the metal body and size of the 6s-8, and I love Touch ID and and really hate even the concept of Face ID, particularly these days. Actually, had the trade-in applied to the 12 Mini, I might even have considered going that route.
Old Oct 19, 2020, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by anrkitec
Actually, had the trade-in applied to the 12 Mini, I might even have considered going that route.
I won't be surprised at all if this offer is available for the Mini and Pro Max, when they are made available for order on November 6. AT&T's fine print says "UP TO $800 OFF APPLE SMARTPHONES" but only the 12 and 12 Pro are available from anyone as of today.
Old Oct 19, 2020, 10:13 pm

Wait a year for the 12s Pro.

-David
squeakr likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.