New iPhone is here!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2019, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
New iPhone is here!

Remember when this meant something?

When we didn't know months in advance exactly what was in the announcement?

When there were cool new features that made you want to trade in your family's 6/SE/8 for a new one?

I might swap the 6 that both of my kids have for a 6S or 7, net about $75-$150, just to be current on the OS and get a bit of a speed boost. But that's about it.

Next year is supposed to be "the next big one". It had better be.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Only one thing really comes to mind.

Old Sep 10, 2019, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've been holding on to my 6s 128 for 2.5 years now because I have never felt that I am missing anything and I really like the interface.

Even my battery health is still at 90% - though the 6/6s battery life sucked from the beginning.

I don't want/need face ID, animogis, 3D haptic whatever, etc. And because I don't want to carry a bigger phone, the improved resolution of the X-series wasn't a compelling feature - though HDR and TruColor are. Add to that, the 7 wasn't enough of an upgrade to justify the hassle.

But now the 8 128 is looking pretty compelling. Same interface as the 6s with a two generations newer processor, better camera software, and HDR and TruColor. The new lower price for being the lowest rung on the iPhone ladder is just a nice bonus. It would also be great to snag one of the 8 256s that are left in the supply chain at the new lower 128 price, but of course that won't happen.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 3:44 pm

Programs: British Airways Gold
I saw an article the other day that basically said if you want to see what features will be in the next iPhone just go into a phone store and look at what the other brands offer today...
DYKWIA and Silver Fox like this.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I’ve had a 10 for two years now and I’m done. I suspect I’m one of many who feel this way and no reason to upgrade anymore esp at the price point apple wants.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have a 10. Switched to iPhone so my hearing aids would work with the phone. Had Androids prior but the hearing aids weren't compatible so switching phones was the less expensive option given my hearing aids cost over $6,000.00 per pair.

All that said I can't conceive what else could be loaded on a phone and will hang on to the my iPhone 10 XS Max for a while.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 5:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
The price thing is a bit of a red herring - all the handset makers are charging $800+ for their new flagship. After that it’s just noise.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does it make and / or receive telephone calls better than its predecessor?
Old Sep 10, 2019, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'll stick with my 8 for now.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
My iPhone 6 is a company phone. I will have to give it back when I retire December 6. Mrs BV is due for an upgrade from her 5. We will both get “new” iPhones by Christmas. And by “new” I mean used. Maybe 8’s with as much memory as I can find.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 7:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by kale73
Last years’s models (XS/Max) definitely did due to addition of additional bands. Sorry to burst your snark.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by kale73
Last month our three phones had 17.35GB of data usage, 755 text messages, and 55 minutes of phone usage. 14 days into this billing cycle we have 10 minutes of talk time

If that's your use case, these aren't for you. There are many much cheaper alternatives.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by enviroian
I’ve had a 10 for two years now and I’m done. I suspect I’m one of many who feel this way and no reason to upgrade anymore esp at the price point apple wants.
I'm the same, albeit I've got a 7 that's about 3 years old now. I don't see any reason to upgrade. The giant leaps in the tech have been and gone. When I do finally buy a new phone it will be a used phone.

Also, considering the push into 5G I'm surprised it has no 5G capability. (IMO, 5G isn't that much of a game changer, but with tech heads they seem to froth about it)
Old Sep 10, 2019, 9:24 pm

Programs: Delta, Hertz, Hilton, Marriott
Originally Posted by annerj
I'll stick with my 8 for now.
I have an 8 plus and am very happy with it. Don't think I'll buy a new one until this one breaks or dies.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
My Note9, with excellent battery life AND headphone jack, will work just fine for me, thanks.
Silver Fox likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.