Reload this Page >

New iPhone is here!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New iPhone is here!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2021, 10:22 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Need
I could be wrong on this, but I think carrier version is $30 cheaper on Apple.com because you will still have to pay a $30 activation fee to the carrier later. If you buy the non-carrier one, you can just move the sim card over from the old phone to the new one without even telling AT&T that you switched phone. I used to do this all the time when the phone got wet and had to into a bag of rice LOL. Switch sim to backup phone.

All the iPhones on apple.com are unlocked if you pay in full and not using the carrier finance plan. The only difference is that the carrier version will either come with e-sim or a SIM card that is registered to your carrier. That's why they asked for your phone number.
Ah! So it’s $30 no matter how you slice it. Of course. I think I’ll just get the unlocked and be done with it. What does that $30 even pay for then?! Literally nothing. Thanks for the info. Helps.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
Ah! So it’s $30 no matter how you slice it. Of course. I think I’ll just get the unlocked and be done with it. What does that $30 even pay for then?! Literally nothing. Thanks for the info. Helps.
Or you could get the AT&T version and do it at 2am and delete the TXT on her old phone! There is a chance that you don't have to pay the $30 activation fee than you will save $30. The phone will be unlocked either way. And technically speaking if you buy the no-carrier phone, you have to pay the sales tax on the $30 too. So even if AT&T charge you $30 activation fee, you will still save up to $3 on sales tax LOL.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 10:35 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Need
Or you could get the AT&T version and do it at 2am and delete the TXT on her old phone! There is a chance that you don't have to pay the $30 activation fee than you will save $30. The phone will be unlocked either way. And technically speaking if you buy the no-carrier phone, you have to pay the sales tax on the $30 too. So even if AT&T charge you $30 activation fee, you will still save up to $3 on sales tax LOL.
The lunacy that I’m stressing over $30 when the phone itself is $1099 does not escape me. Though in my defense, that’s a birthday dessert.
Old Oct 13, 2021, 5:50 am

Unless you have a AT&T FAN discount which waves the activation fee, buy the carrier unlocked version. My FAN waves the activation fee for each line and discounts each line $10 per month.
Old Oct 13, 2021, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by TGarza
Unless you have a AT&T FAN discount which waves the activation fee, buy the carrier unlocked version. My FAN waves the activation fee for each line and discounts each line $10 per month.
Ah! We do have a FAN discount. But even when logged into ATT, it acts like it’s going to charge me to activate. But thanks for that tip! I can chat them and see what they say.
Old Oct 20, 2021, 7:22 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/20/t...ades-cost.html

...By some estimates, an investment of $1,000 in a retirement account today would balloon to about $17,000 in 30 years.... Fewer than half of American adults have enough savings set aside to cover three months of emergency expenses, according to the Pew Research Center. Yet one in five people surveyed by the financial website WalletHub thought a new phone was worth going into debt for.... upgrading annually over three years costs $418 more, or roughly $12 a month, compared with upgrading every three years, Flipsy said. Framed this way, it may sound like a bargain to get a new phone every year as opposed to every few years. But plugging these numbers into a financial calculator tells a different story. If you put $12 a month into a retirement account, like a Roth I.R.A. that has an average annual rate of return of 10 percent, that amount would turn into $25,161 over 30 years, according to Ms. Orman’s savings calculator.
Old Oct 20, 2021, 10:53 pm
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
Oh which investments are going to average 10% a year for 30 years?
Old Oct 21, 2021, 3:17 am

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by exp
Oh which investments are going to average 10% a year for 30 years?
SPX... depends if you want CAGR over a period, or annual mean, geometric annual mean, etc.... also generous if talking net-of-taxes if its IRA
Old Oct 21, 2021, 7:26 am

Ah! We do have a FAN discount. But even when logged into ATT, it acts like it’s going to charge me to activate. But thanks for that tip! I can chat them and see what they say.
I believe the activation fee is listed and then credited on the bill since it is due at checkout.
Old Feb 18, 2023, 3:22 pm

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
Does anyone have any ideas why an iPhone 14 would refuse to charge from (or even acknowledge the presence of) an iPhone 5 vintage Belkin charger and lightning cable?

There is no unsupported accessory warning or any acknowledgement something has been plugged in, however the combination still happily charges any other device I plugged into it.

Most of my Lightning accessories date from my iPhone 5c, so I am a little unsettled that a name brand charger and cable (bought at Staples, in-person) would not work.
Old Mar 12, 2024, 1:10 am

I still have my iPhone 8, but I'm considering upgrading to a newer model. Any recommendations? I'm particularly interested in this iPhone 11. What are your thoughts on it? I'm leaning towards purchasing a used device, mainly because I've had my fair share of broken phones in the past, and it seems like a more practical option for me. If anyone has any experience with the iPhone 11 or suggestions for other models, I'd love to hear them!

Last edited by jennywhite; Mar 14, 2024 at 3:45 pm
Old Mar 12, 2024, 4:20 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
2022SE us the sweet spot, pricewise, And still has a Home button.
Old Mar 12, 2024, 5:02 am

Originally Posted by jennywhite
I still have my iphone 8 and thinking to update for a newer model. Any recommendations maybe?
Do you want face recognition? Yes then iPhone 15. If no, then the iPhone SE 2022. Apple has released a new SE every other year in March or April. I would wait another month. I buy the most current iPhone for the cellular bands supported.
draver likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2024, 6:57 am

I think the iPhone 13 line is a good general phone for many folks. It still has a sim card, supports esim and has dual sim, dual standby. That feature allows 2 sims to be active, and expands options, especially for travel. Prices are decent and there are several models & memory sizes to choose from. Used, unlocked, good condition i13's start at $400 on Swappa and should provide most features of current models.
Internaut and TGarza like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.