Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New iPhone is here!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2019, 6:19 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by CPRich
Almost every single preview/what's coming article that I've read over the last 6 months have said this was the every-other-year incremental step, as Apple has always done.

If you get pissed because next year's phone has better features at a better price than last years, you're pretty much never going to be happy with anything.
7 new, 8 refresh
X new, Xs refresh
11 pro new, next year refresh.

No?
Old Sep 12, 2019, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
Was I this obnoxious when I was an Android user? I'm afraid to go back and look.

People get way too emotionally married to their phone ecosystem. I liked Android. I like iPhone. They do like 95% of the same things equally well.

Apple does a better job supporting their devices for a long time and things really do mostly "just work". Android is way more customizable and offers more brute force from the processor. Apple is more conservative in bringing new features to market, but they tend to be less buggy from the start. Most of the rest of the differences are fluff.

It's no secret that we are essentially in a plateau right now in mobile device technology, nor is it particularly a new development. I won't be buying any of the iPhone 11 devices, but that's only because I'm perfectly satisfied with my Xs Max. I'm hoping it will last me 3-4 years because I want to get out of the annual to biannual upgrade cycle I was effectively forced into with Android.
deniah likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 7:17 am

Programs: United MP
Originally Posted by SRQ Guy
Was I this obnoxious when I was an Android user? I'm afraid to go back and look.

People get way too emotionally married to their phone ecosystem. I liked Android. I like iPhone. They do like 95% of the same things equally well.

Apple does a better job supporting their devices for a long time and things really do mostly "just work". Android is way more customizable and offers more brute force from the processor. Apple is more conservative in bringing new features to market, but they tend to be less buggy from the start. Most of the rest of the differences are fluff.

It's no secret that we are essentially in a plateau right now in mobile device technology, nor is it particularly a new development. I won't be buying any of the iPhone 11 devices, but that's only because I'm perfectly satisfied with my Xs Max. I'm hoping it will last me 3-4 years because I want to get out of the annual to biannual upgrade cycle I was effectively forced into with Android.
I'm pretty sure you were, but that has changed. ^.

Both are great! Get what you like and be happy. I did and still do.
My iPhone 7 plus is still a great device. Maybe next time I will get something new.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 1:39 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
I've corrected the above to what I say to my missus.

I'll try that tonight. Time to put down my damn foot. Its been 25 years!
Old Sep 12, 2019, 2:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by DeafFlyer
I'm pretty sure you were, but that has changed. ^.

Both are great! Get what you like and be happy. I did and still do.
My iPhone 7 plus is still a great device. Maybe next time I will get something new.
If you are on TMobile they are offering the new 11 for $350 with a trade-in of your 7+ (Valuing it at $350). I would jump on that. If Costco history is any guide they will have the same deal for just $300. Next year the 7+ will be probably $150 tops.

The 11 is same or larger screen size as a 7+ in a way better package all around.
DeafFlyer likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 10:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
I’m still perfectly happy with my 6s Plus. I’ve yet to see any must-have features on any subsequent iPhone. Improvements, sure - OLED displays, nicer cameras, etc. but nothing that makes me feel compelled to upgrade from what I have now. With the $29 battery replacements last year, my phone’s battery life is as good as when it was new, and recent versions of iOS have been incredibly performant on older hardware. I’ll probably keep it until next year’s iPhone rolls out with 5G support.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 11:04 pm

I had a good laugh the other day when talking with my T-Mobile rep about new phones. He suggested waiting at least a month or two after the latest & greatest phone is released...then go over to Swappa and buy the last generation at a huge discount. I asked him why he was openly telling me this instead of selling me a phone and he said his boss was pushing this idea -- If people stop buying $800, $900, even $1,500 phones (do people seriously pay $1,500 for a phone?!?), the manufacturers will stop selling them at those prices.

/Currently using a Samsung S7 Edge I bought for $50. I put a 256GB SD card in the phone for a total of 288GB. A new equivalent S10 would be ~$1k (or 20 of my S7s), whilst a new iPhone 11 would be $1150 (23 S7s)
javabytes likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by bensyd
Also, considering the push into 5G I'm surprised it has no 5G capability. (IMO, 5G isn't that much of a game changer, but with tech heads they seem to froth about it)
I'm not. At least in the US, coverage is still very limited--not to mention that the chipsets that are available are huge battery hogs that get hot quickly.

Anyway, Apple will likely do 5G after coverage gets better and all of the Android OEMs have worked out the kinks, just like what happened with LTE.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 9:04 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by corky
I know that S & Note are their flagship products but since I am so tech challenged I wonder if they are more phone than I need or would use. However, if the 9's and 10's were less that $900 I would buy one. I don't know about the pay as you go sim card!! I am going to look into that. Or rather I am going to ask a person at the store to look into that since I don't have a clue how any of this stuff works. Thanks for the suggestion. I can be without a phone for one or 2 days but there is no way to pay extra and get the shipping expedited so 4 or 5 days is what I am looking at.

NO store has them in stock...they don't waste space on anything other than the latest and greatest (and priciest). Not Best Buy, Not Target, Not Frye's, Not Verizon. Verizon does not sell them in their stores or on their site--I even tried calling. The only place I was able to find one was through the Costco wireless kiosk (which is not Costco but somehow contracted with them) and the Note 8 is $499 which is fine but that is the one that has to be mailed to my house after I activate it (and deactivate my current phone). If my current phone was newer she could reactivate it immediately after the transaction but Verizon no longer supports my old phone. Actually, I have very few issues with my old Note 3 other than it has slowed down considerably and battery life is very short. Other than that, I love it and I love the size and ease of use but as of the first of the year, I will not be able to use it because it is 3g and won't be serviced by Verizon.
I remember I got my first phone FREE from Domino's pizza and it was easy peasy...samsung that I had for a decent amount of time. Now it's such a cluster **** to buy a phone.
BestBuy sells used phones and does Verizon, so I'm surprised that you can't find a used model you want in one so their stores. They have GeekSquad staff to set up devices and computers for people, usually for an extra fee. You should be able to see on the website what the used stock (and its condition) is in various stores.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by tmiw
I'm not. At least in the US, coverage is still very limited--not to mention that the chipsets that are available are huge battery hogs that get hot quickly.
The same was true about LTE back in the day. The HTC Thunderbolt was the first with LTE in the US...and by all accounts was a miserable experience. I don't know that 5G will really take off. As it's being implemented by the US carriers, the high-band stuff is pretty useless. Line-of-sight only and the signal's not able to penetrate buildings. Verizon can't even get 5G to cover a sports stadium.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by KRSW
The same was true about LTE back in the day. The HTC Thunderbolt was the first with LTE in the US...and by all accounts was a miserable experience. I don't know that 5G will really take off. As it's being implemented by the US carriers, the high-band stuff is pretty useless. Line-of-sight only and the signal's not able to penetrate buildings. Verizon can't even get 5G to cover a sports stadium.
More mid-band spectrum's going to be auctioned off in the next year or two which should help (but it'll likely take more time after that before coverage is good enough).

That said, Apple could theoretically roll out 5G next year but it'd only really support the "new" T-Mobile anywhere close to reasonably well coverage-wise.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 12:46 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Can anyone tell me real quick when the new $700 iPhone model will be available in BestBuy (for Verizon) to touch and hold,and then presumably purchase, probably in bright yellow? I don't want to order a phone I've never seen "in the flesh", but my ancient iPhone is having battery problems and I'm not sure how much longer it will hang onto life. Can I see it sooner in an Apple Store?
Old Sep 13, 2019, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Can anyone tell me real quick when the new $700 iPhone model will be available in BestBuy (for Verizon) to touch and hold,and then presumably purchase, probably in bright yellow? I don't want to order a phone I've never seen "in the flesh", but my ancient iPhone is having battery problems and I'm not sure how much longer it will hang onto life. Can I see it sooner in an Apple Store?
They should be available in the store on launch day (Sep 20). You can at least get some hands-on time with the display models, but whether they have any in stock for you to buy that day is another question. They typically don't put them out on display until they're for sale.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 6:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Apple store I would presume would have display units sooner...???
Old Sep 13, 2019, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
BestBuy sells used phones and does Verizon, so I'm surprised that you can't find a used model you want in one so their stores. They have GeekSquad staff to set up devices and computers for people, usually for an extra fee. You should be able to see on the website what the used stock (and its condition) is in various stores.
I don't want a used phone but I have been to Best Buy (2 diff stores) probably about 10 times with my phone search and never have they offered nor have I seen any used phones. One of the Best Buys doesn't even stock the Note 9 anymore...all Note or S 10's. The same with the Verizon store. I spent a very long time on the phone with a Verizon guy who was very nice and helpful and tried every which way to find me an 8. Nope.
My last hope is still the Costco kiosk which I might be able to pull off---I will know this weekend. There are only 19 Note8's in a Costco warehouse somewhere and that is for all the Costcos in the US. If this fails, I will be fine with the A50.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.