Wiki Posts
Search

New iPhone is here!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2019, 6:25 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
A few weeks ago I picked up the iPhone 11 Pro — picked primarily for the camera usage but even more so for the 512GB storage capacity. I have not used the phone for more than a handful of hours since I haven’t had the time or even the interest to migrate over the set up from my older phone to it and also do all the other things to fully make use of a new phone. The slightly larger physical size of the new phone — at least when encased — also hasn’t enamored me to switching over what I carry around for most of the day.

I’ll probably use this new iPhone as a cross-border phone. In hindsight and if not for some bank card dynamics, I would probably have postponed buying a new iPhone for a year. But given that a bank card was giving me a boat load of points and 0% APR for a while on purchases hitting a target amount, I bit the bullet and picked up one.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 4:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
I'd be tempted because they're offering $300 trade in for my 8 Plus.

But next year's changes have so much more in store, at least potentially.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 5:59 pm

I'm waiting for the new 5G iPhones!!!
Old Nov 8, 2019, 11:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
I still have iPhone 6 plus for 3 years now. Should I get new iPhone 11? I haven't gotten new iPhone for a long time. I can wait when I get a new job. I will save the money again. Should I keep iPhone battery longer?
Old Nov 9, 2019, 3:54 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by wco81
But next year's changes have so much more in store, at least potentially.
We hear that every year. Not just Apple of course.

As soon as a phone comes out, the rumours start about the next one, and how it's going to everything that the current version isn't.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by John Isaac
I'm waiting for the new 5G iPhones!!!
We'll see. I don't think 5G is that big of a gamechanger for mobile devices.

Home internet, on the other hand? It could very well be. If nothing else, it'd bump up the number of viable competitors for most people from the 0-1 it is now and hopefully lower prices. (I don't expect gigabit home internet over 5G to ever become a thing, but a consistent 100-200mbps with low latency and high/no caps would be good enough for most people.) That's a topic for a different thread, though.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 10:24 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by N830MH
I still have iPhone 6 plus for 3 years now. Should I get new iPhone 11? I haven't gotten new iPhone for a long time. I can wait when I get a new job. I will save the money again. Should I keep iPhone battery longer?
If this were for run of the mill purposes, I would just add a new battery or battery phone case for the iPhone 6/6 Plus and keep using it. Amusingly, Mobile Passport Control is one reason I keep around an iPhone of that era and use it, since it saves me from signing up for another fee-based/in-app purchase app service or otherwise risking an app update I don't want.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 4:17 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
I upgraded from an XS to the 11 Pro and have to say it grows on you. At first thought the camera was so ugly and unimpressed the frosted back glass but it's so comfy now...
Old Nov 13, 2019, 6:21 am
Suspended

Is it just me, but when speaking of encased phones, does the iPhone 11 Pro have weaker wi-fi reception/ranges than say the iPhone 6 to iPhone X have? It seems that way to me.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 4:08 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Is it just me, but when speaking of encased phones, does the iPhone 11 Pro have weaker wi-fi reception/ranges than say the iPhone 6 to iPhone X have? It seems that way to me.
I've found it to be maybe 5-10% better in my house
Old Nov 14, 2019, 4:20 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by BobbySteel
I've found it to be maybe 5-10% better in my house
I've now fixed the cases for an iPhone 6, 8 and 11 Pro to be part of the same branded series with a hard plastic case layer first with a rubber-type case on top of the hard plastic case; and of those I'm finding the 11 Pro to have the weaker signal wi-fi router receptions at various places.

I'll try to do the same thing later with the same devices without any case and see what happens to the differences then.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 6:56 am

Originally Posted by Mellified
The battery life of the 11 Pro Max is the biggest feature for me. I may have just killed it by activating Verizon and AT&T dual SIM though.
I have been running my iPhone XS in dual SIM mode and the battery goes down quickly. Last week I was in Mexico for a week and turn off one of the SIMs and saw a notable improvement in battery life.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
I have been running my iPhone XS in dual SIM mode and the battery goes down quickly. Last week I was in Mexico for a week and turn off one of the SIMs and saw a notable improvement in battery life.
Interesting. I wonder if this is a thing for all dual SIM phones or if it's some iOS bug causing it.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 2:20 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by tmiw
Interesting. I wonder if this is a thing for all dual SIM phones or if it's some iOS bug causing it.
If the SIMs are on, then I would have to assume the phone uses more power due to searching for and maintaining more network connections than if just set up for one network for one number connection. An increased battery drain for dual-SIM use almost certainly would still take place even without any iOS bugs.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
If the SIMs are on, then I would have to assume the phone uses more power due to searching for and maintaining more network connections than if just set up for one network for one number connection. An increased battery drain for dual-SIM use almost certainly would still take place even without any iOS bugs.
Good point. The question, I suppose, is whether the battery drain on iOS is more than on e.g. OnePlus devices when there are two SIM cards. Maybe I'll try removing one of the cards on my OnePlus 6 and see for sure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.