Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New iPhone is here!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2020, 8:07 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by draver
You could log on to a WiFi provider then create your own WiFi hotspot from that. Useful for paid, single device service like cruise ships and some hotels, etc. Technically theft I suppose.
That's a good point. My S20 allows me to share my Wifi.
Old Oct 25, 2020, 11:29 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
So the iPhone 12 does not have headphone jacks. I do have airpods but often need to switch to wired headphones bc I’ve failed to charge them. In some cases prefer using over ear wired headphones (like on long flights). Does anyone else have a concern about no earphone plug?
Old Oct 25, 2020, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Apple killed the 3,5mm jack a few iterations ago - good move to sell more Bluetooth earbuds and/or lightning-3,5mm dongles. Otherwise a dick move, same as their current laptop lineup with nothing but a few usb-c plugs.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2020, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I had the chance yesterday to compare my 12 Pro to a buddy’s flagship Galaxy, and while the 12 Pro not only stands up, in IMO it is clearly the better device overall. But there is one area where it falls on its face.

I understand that Apple says they made a choice of 5G over a 120 Hz refresh rate screen because of concerns over battery life [the 12 has a smaller battery then the 11, though some believe Apple went with 60 Hz again because they couldn’t secured a supply chain capable of delivering enough 120 Hz panels in time to satisfy initial demand], but man can you tell the difference.

I was actually surprised at just how much smoother 120 Hz on a phone would be when compared to 60 Hz. Even if you concede that Apple’s 60 Hz panels are better and smoother than anyone else’s, the difference compared to 120 Hz is stark.

Scrolling and swiping on a 120 Hz panel is liquid and lightning fast. Side-by-side, scrolling on a 60 Hz panel feels slow and jerky by comparison.

Last edited by anrkitec; Oct 25, 2020 at 1:36 pm
Old Oct 25, 2020, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
So the iPhone 12 does not have headphone jacks. I do have airpods but often need to switch to wired headphones bc I’ve failed to charge them. In some cases prefer using over ear wired headphones (like on long flights). Does anyone else have a concern about no earphone plug?
Apple removed the headphone jack in the iPhone 7 which shipped with lightning headphones and dongle which can be used with the iPhone 12.
Silver Fox likes this.

Last edited by TGarza; Oct 25, 2020 at 3:07 pm
Old Oct 25, 2020, 2:24 pm
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
Originally Posted by anrkitec
I had the chance yesterday to compare my 12 Pro to a buddy’s flagship Galaxy, and while the 12 Pro not only stands up, in IMO it is clearly the better device overall. But there is one area where it falls on its face.

I understand that Apple says they made a choice of 5G over a 120 Hz refresh rate screen because of concerns over battery life [the 12 has a smaller battery then the 11, though some believe Apple went with 60 Hz again because they couldn’t secured a supply chain capable of delivering enough 120 Hz panels in time to satisfy initial demand], but man can you tell the difference.

I was actually surprised at just how much smoother 120 Hz on a phone would be when compared to 60 Hz. Even if you concede that Apple’s 60 Hz panels are better and smoother than anyone else’s, the difference compared to 120 Hz is stark.

Scrolling and swiping on a 120 Hz panel is liquid and lightning fast. Side-by-side, scrolling on a 60 Hz panel feels slow and jerky by comparison.
Other theory is that they couldn't secure enough supplies of the ProMotion-compatible displays this year. iPhone ships in much higher volumes than the Samsung.
Old Oct 25, 2020, 2:29 pm
exp
Suspended

I have AirPods Pro and managed to take one intercontinental trip (to New Zealand) in December. But I knew going in that it obviously wouldn't make that whole trip on one charge so I had two other pairs of bluetooth headphones, one an Anker and another Chinese no-name brand.

Only AirPods Pro had ANC. But the other ones gave a good seal, out of the box so I tend to use headphones as earplugs even when I'm not playing anything on them. So I mostly go for in-ear headphones.

Basically I used the AirPods Pro and then switched to one of the other ones while I recharged the APP. Then swapped it back again while charging the other ones.

As I wrote another thread, Qualcomm is about to push through adaptive ANC, similar to what APP does, with constant sampling and adjustments. They will probably be used on name brand earbuds, like maybe Jabra and other similar brands which will price their brands on par or even higher than the APP.

But I've found that good in-ear BT buds, which go for $30 and up, will reduce sound enough on flights.
Old Oct 25, 2020, 2:55 pm

Programs: *G
No. Good riddance. I switched to bluetooth headphones years ago and never looked back. Hate the cord entanglement, getting in the way of stuff, microphonics, etc. All the modern wireless headphones have battery life longer than the playing the device (phone). So if you can charge the phone on the flight, you can charge the headphone (which also charge much faster due to lower capacity).

But, if you want, you can also buy a data to 3.5mm dongle
Old Oct 26, 2020, 8:29 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
I’m so stupid. I didn’t realize they’d still make the charging port an alternate headphone jack. 😑. I have an 11 and that’s what I do. Doesn’t the 12 have a new port?
Old Oct 26, 2020, 9:20 am

I’m so stupid. I didn’t realize they’d still make the charging port an alternate headphone jack. 😑. I have an 11 and that’s what I do. Doesn’t the 12 have a new port?
No new port but the iPhone 12 ships with a lightning cable which has a UCB-C connector instead of a USB-A connector. No USB-C power block is included.
Old Oct 26, 2020, 11:34 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by deniah
No. Good riddance. I switched to bluetooth headphones years ago and never looked back. Hate the cord entanglement, getting in the way of stuff, microphonics, etc. All the modern wireless headphones have battery life longer than the playing the device (phone). So if you can charge the phone on the flight, you can charge the headphone (which also charge much faster due to lower capacity).

But, if you want, you can also buy a data to 3.5mm dongle
Speaking of using headsets on flights, do any scheduled common carrier flights have Bluetooth connectivity for the airline in-flight entertainment system audio ports? Having to take along the AirFly type of adapters to use Bluetooth headsets in flight is an inconvenience of its own too.

In-flight or not, there are times when I still use a wired headphone, and I do so at times even when I have the Airpods Pro along too. Carrying around one cable for charging and a separate dongle to connect a wired headset is less convenient in a way than when no dongles were required to use the iPhones with a wired headset.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2020, 11:53 am

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Speaking of using headsets on flights, do any scheduled common carrier flights have Bluetooth connectivity for the airline in-flight entertainment system audio ports? Having to take along the AirFly type of adapters to use Bluetooth headsets in flight is an inconvenience of its own too.

In-flight or not, there are times when I still use a wired headphone, and I do so at times even when I have the Airpods Pro along too. Carrying around one cable for charging and a separate dongle to connect a wired headset is less convenient in a way than when no dongles were required to use the iPhones with a wired headset.
With a wired headphone and phone with mini jack you'd have to have:
* charging cable for smartphone
* permanent cable for headphone

With a wireless headphone and phone w/o mini jack you'd have:
* charging cable for smartphone (same USB-C as headphone and laptop... add +1 Lightning for iPhone)
* optional cable for headphone, w/ inline adapter

The adapter is slim and inline, so you can keep it permanently attached to the cable. I used to bring it w/ airline adapter to plug into the seat, but I'm happy using the provided headphone.
Between interaction with the crew for service, talking with my partner, eating and snacking, watching a movie onboard isn't quite the immersive experience that requires a better headset than whatever Bose-branded stuff they hand onboard.
More than that, I tend to watch my own content on my phone and laptop.... basically I never brought headphone cable along with me again.
Old Oct 26, 2020, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Hm, my B&W PX7 has usb-c, my iphone 7 has ligthning and my MacBookAir has MagSafe2. Not much synergy, but I won't splash out several k just to have 1 or 2 dimeadozen cable less. (and my Sony DAP has WM port )
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2020, 2:47 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Who will be the first to bite the bullet and remove all ports from their phone? Apple were late to the party with wireless charging, but now seem to be pushing it. Maybe the iPhone 13 will be QI only?
Old Oct 27, 2020, 5:20 pm
exp
Suspended

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Who will be the first to bite the bullet and remove all ports from their phone? Apple were late to the party with wireless charging, but now seem to be pushing it. Maybe the iPhone 13 will be QI only?

I would not want to have to use less efficient wireless charging, all just for esthetic reasons and also to help them cut costs.

Unless they're including wireless chargers, I am not interested in having to buy a wireless charger.
Silver Fox and HDQDD like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.