New iPhone is here!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New iPhone is here!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2021, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by yyznomad
Of course. I'm currently content with my 4G. I don't stream much, and I don't really use my phone while outside except for the odd Google maps search when I get lost.
But yeah, I'm in no rush for the latest and greatest.
My wife and I both use the phone as a hotspot frequently for work with 5G being a benefit over LTE. The other consideration is the bands for your cell provider and the bands supported by your phone. My MiL who is on our plan was having reception issues because the bands and towers changed in her area. Upgrading her 1st gen iPhone SE to iPhone 12 mini improved her service.
GUWonder likes this.

Last edited by TGarza; Jan 9, 2021 at 4:29 pm
Old Jan 9, 2021, 3:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I guess I'm a rare breed for not caring about the latest iPhone... what could I possibly need with the latest and greatest?
For me it's the camera and nothing else. I consider these devices to be portable cameras that just happen to let you make phone calls and do emails. The 12 Max Pro was enough of a camera upgrade over my 7+ to push me to buy new. Depending on the camera evolution going forward, I might keep this phone for a while or swap it next year.

Question for IP12 users - is anyone experiencing an issue with non-Apple wireless chargers where charging stops working until you reboot the phone?
GUWonder likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2021, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Question for IP12 users - is anyone experiencing an issue with non-Apple wireless chargers where charging stops working until you reboot the phone?

I am using the wireless charger AT&T gave away during a November weekly promotion. The problem I have had is the charging does not always start and the IP12 has to be moved before the wireless charging starts.

Last edited by TGarza; Jan 10, 2021 at 8:09 am
Old Jan 10, 2021, 4:13 am

Originally Posted by Internaut
Oh, 5G is a game changer. The big difference I've noticed between 5G and LTE, living in a fairy densely populated urban area (so a lot more cells around with emphasis on service over wide geographic coverage): With double speed LTE, I can do a test at 6:30am and with double speed LTE get up to 200mbps upload and approaching 20 down. This goes down to around 70/20 towards peak hours. With 5G I can get this at any hour (my speed record is actually 390 down). Interestingly, it looks like EE have shaped the traffic depending on where you are. In a residential area? Upload rarely goes above 20mpbs. Walk into more of a business district and doing some speed tests, I found download speed approximately halved while upload speed approximately doubled.

Warning: Speed tests eat data (so careful if your plan isn't unlimited).
On T-Mobile, Speedtest by Ookla is whitelisted and will not consume data at least on my ONE plan. A few years back someone realized that if a URL contained the phrase "Speedtest" it didn't use data so it was all the rage to get free streaming that way. T-Mobile figured out how to put a stop to that and the Ookla app is data free again. I don't know about other carriers.

Imagine the bad press they would get from people reporting 5G speeds in the hundreds of Mbps and having that drain their data bucket?
Internaut likes this.

Last edited by draver; Jan 10, 2021 at 4:30 am
Old Jan 10, 2021, 5:27 am

Programs: *G
For me it's the camera and nothing else. I consider these devices to be portable cameras that just happen to let you make phone calls and do emails. The 12 Max Pro was enough of a camera upgrade over my 7+ to push me to buy new. Depending on the camera evolution going forward, I might keep this phone for a while or swap it next year.

i use an Anker 10w and an Ikea 5w Wireless charging pad.

Ikea works 100% of the time. Anker works 90% of the time in the sense that it is picky on the exact placement
bocastephen likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2021, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
I'm not one who likes taking pictures, or posing for pictures... but I can see how that, given that phones nowadays also make for great cameras, that some cameras now happen to have phone and music-playing capabilities.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 7:58 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite

I've had my 12 for a couple of months and a couple of cheap wireless charging pads from Amazon (varying brands). No issues until last week when wireless charging didn't work on either charging pad until I restarted the phone. Happened twice, hasn't happened since. Could possibly be related to an iOS update?

I've always been aware of the minor step changes in camera capability. I've had iPhones since 2010. The step change between the XS and the 12 is as big of improvement as I've ever seen. I love the camera on the 12 and have taken some seriously impressive low-light photos with it.
bocastephen likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 9:01 am

I agree wholeheartedly on the low light capability of the 12 camera. Basically, if you can make out a dark shape of any sort, you can get an acceptable picture of what that shape actually is.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by aww3583
I've had my 12 for a couple of months and a couple of cheap wireless charging pads from Amazon (varying brands). No issues until last week when wireless charging didn't work on either charging pad until I restarted the phone. Happened twice, hasn't happened since. Could possibly be related to an iOS update?
My XR did the same thing at some point in the last couple weeks, so I'm guessing something got updated. It had never done that before.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 2:42 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I'm not one who likes taking pictures, or posing for pictures... but I can see how that, given that phones nowadays also make for great cameras, that some cameras now happen to have phone and music-playing capabilities.
Indeed. How many more generations of iPhones will it take before they drop and replace the "phone" part in the nomenclature since these devices are ever more infrequently used for plain old telephone calls to plain old telephones than just about anything else they can do!
Old Jan 14, 2021, 5:27 pm
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
So assuming we're able to travel sometime this year, anyone going to try to get a prepaid SIM for their iPhone 12?

I had T-Mobile provision the eSIM for regular postpaid service.

But I just realized if I got a prepaid SIM, I won't get 5G on either.

So I don't know if I have to unprovision the T-Mo eSIM if I want to try to use a prepaid with 5G data.
Old Jan 15, 2021, 5:04 am

Originally Posted by exp
So assuming we're able to travel sometime this year, anyone going to try to get a prepaid SIM for their iPhone 12?

I had T-Mobile provision the eSIM for regular postpaid service.

But I just realized if I got a prepaid SIM, I won't get 5G on either.

So I don't know if I have to unprovision the T-Mo eSIM if I want to try to use a prepaid with 5G data.
To revert to 5G service with dual sims, you only need to temporarily turn off one of the lines. In iPhones this is just a few clicks in the Settings/Cellular Menu. I have two, 5G carriers active and frequently speedtest them this way since it is so simple. There are rumors on the interwebs that dual 5G access will be available soon for iPhones. Apple has been silent on this matter.
Old Jan 15, 2021, 5:16 am

No. We've had them since about at launch, and the third party wireless chargers have always worked flawlessly. Not even sure what brand I'm using, but just ordered from Amazon, Yoo-something, I think.
Old Jan 15, 2021, 3:57 pm
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
Originally Posted by draver
To revert to 5G service with dual sims, you only need to temporarily turn off one of the lines. In iPhones this is just a few clicks in the Settings/Cellular Menu. I have two, 5G carriers active and frequently speedtest them this way since it is so simple. There are rumors on the interwebs that dual 5G access will be available soon for iPhones. Apple has been silent on this matter.

I think it requires a new modem, not some software update.

IOW, no dual 5G before iPhone 13 at least.

Hmm, so if I turn off the eSIM, I will have no problems toggling it off and on so that it's only using one network at a time?
Old Jan 15, 2021, 6:06 pm

The iPhone 12 models in China claim both lines are 5g capable. I don’t know if the 2 physical sim vs esim + sim is relevant or if the 5G in China was deployed differently.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.