New iPhone is here!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New iPhone is here!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2020, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Who will be the first to bite the bullet and remove all ports from their phone? Apple were late to the party with wireless charging, but now seem to be pushing it. Maybe the iPhone 13 will be QI only?
One of the best things about CarPlay (and Android Auto) is that no matter how old your car gets, you still have the latest navigation and streaming. It would really suck if Apple broke it.
TGarza likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2020, 8:00 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Well I bit the bullet tonight. Ordered a 12 for pickup at Apple tomorrow. Will send in an 8 for the $800 in credits. Gift for son’s 18th birthday. I don’t even mind being locked into ATT for 30 months for his line. We’ve had that account for 20 years (With Cingular before the merge), not going to change now. And have extra iPhones for international sims when needed. He has NO idea and is going to be blown away. I’m excited to give it to him.
Old Nov 2, 2020, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Who will be the first to bite the bullet and remove all ports from their phone? Apple were late to the party with wireless charging, but now seem to be pushing it. Maybe the iPhone 13 will be QI only?
The current rumor is the 13 will be wireless only, but Apple's Magsafe is not Qi, and charges at twice the power of Qi on the new phones, so it almost certainly won't be Qi only.
Old Nov 2, 2020, 9:27 pm
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
Well I bit the bullet tonight. Ordered a 12 for pickup at Apple tomorrow. Will send in an 8 for the $800 in credits. Gift for son’s 18th birthday. I don’t even mind being locked into ATT for 30 months for his line. We’ve had that account for 20 years (With Cingular before the merge), not going to change now. And have extra iPhones for international sims when needed. He has NO idea and is going to be blown away. I’m excited to give it to him.

They gave you $800 in credits for an 8?
Old Nov 2, 2020, 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by exp
For AT&T I think. Website said $700 credit for iPhone 8... not $800 though.
Old Nov 3, 2020, 2:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Need
It's a two-tiered flat rate.

For a 6s, 6s+, 7, and 7+ it's $350. For an 8 or newer it's $800.

Originally Posted by exp
Yes, for an iPhone 8 or newer in good condition [powers up, no cracks, etc.] it's $800. But you have to agree to a 30-month contract and the $800 is paid out as either 30 monthly debits or 30 monthly credits to your bill, depending on which new phone you get.

If you get the $799 iPhone 12 64 GB, then you will see no changes to your bill and at the end of the 30 month contract you own the phone free and clear. If you get the $1100 12 Pro 256 for example, they substract the $800 from $1100, leaving a balance of $300, which they divide by 30, leaving you with an increase of $10/month on your bill for the next 30 months - the length of the contract.

Last edited by anrkitec; Nov 3, 2020 at 12:55 pm
Old Nov 3, 2020, 5:21 am

Originally Posted by anrkitec
Also, if you want a new phone before the 30 months are up, you can't buy out your contract early by paying the difference between the $800 credit and the cost of the phone. But you can buy the phone outright. If you have had the phone for say 10 months, and have been paying an extra $10/month for the phone on your bill as per the example above, then you would subtract the $100 you have paid from the $1100 cost of the phone, leaving you still owing AT&T $1000 for the phone, which you would have to pay to them up front in cash in order to end your contract. But then you would own your phone outright, could then sell it to get a new phone, and AT&T would continue giving you a $35/month credit on your bill [$700/20] for the next 20 months.
Paying off the phone early ends the monthly credit from AT&T which is in the details of the trade in agreement when I returned my iPhone 8 for the $800 credit.
Old Nov 3, 2020, 6:47 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Correct. For Apple.com you have to select NO for trade in (to Apple) and there are instructions.
Old Nov 3, 2020, 8:13 am

AT&T $800 trade in for the iPhone 8 ends 11/5. Starting 11/6, the trade in drops to $700 when the 12 mini and 12 pro Max launch.

On the Apple website, the first tab to display on screen for the AT&T trade in is the iPhone 12 mini offer which is $700. Click the iPhone 12 tab for the $800 trade in offer. I have 2 iPhone 12 minis reserved with the $700 credit for each phone.

Last edited by TGarza; Nov 3, 2020 at 12:20 pm
Old Nov 3, 2020, 10:46 am

Programs: ua Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Gold, National Executive, Avis First
Originally Posted by anrkitec
It's a two-tiered flat rate.

For a 6s, 6s+, 7, and 7+ it's $350. For an 8 or newer it's $800.

Yes, for an iPhone 8 or newer in good condition [powers up, no cracks, etc.] it's $800. But you have to agree to a 30-month contract and the $800 is paid out as either 30 monthly debits or 30 monthly credits to your bill, depending on which new phone you get.

If you get the $799 iPhone 12 64 GB, then you will see no changes to your bill and at the end of the 30 month contract you own the phone free and clear. If you get the $1100 12 Pro 256 for example, they substract the $800 from $1100, leaving a balance of $300, which they divide by 30, leaving you with an increase of $10/month on your bill for the next 30 months - the length of the contract.

Also, if you want a new phone before the 30 months are up, you can't buy out your contract early by paying the difference between the $800 credit and the cost of the phone. But you can buy the phone outright. If you have had the phone for say 10 months, and have been paying an extra $10/month for the phone on your bill as per the example above, then you would subtract the $100 you have paid from the $1100 cost of the phone, leaving you still owing AT&T $1000 for the phone, which you would have to pay to them up front in cash in order to end your contract. But then you would own your phone outright, could then sell it to get a new phone, and AT&T would continue giving you a $35/month credit on your bill [$700/20] for the next 20 months.
Just to clarify, there is no actual contract with this ATT deal. It acts somewhat like a contract, because if you cancel before 30 months, you don't get whatever remaining monthly credit there is from your trade, and you have to pay the phone off. Also, as noted, if you pay the phone off early, before the 30 months are up, you will no longer get the trade in credit. However, you are free to pay off the phone and cancel at any time with no penalty other than you don't get any more monthly credits from your trade.

Instead of contracts ATT is using monthly discounts to either 1) get you to stay the full term, or 2) not get full value of the trade if you leave or get a new phone early.

Last edited by z28lt1; Nov 3, 2020 at 11:14 am
Old Nov 3, 2020, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by z28lt1
Just to clarify, there is no actual contract with this ATT deal.
contract - kon-trakt - noun (i) an agreement between two or more parties for the doing or not doing of something specified.
I agree to do this if you agree to do that, you sign a couple of things, money changes hands [the sales tax], there are penalties for non-performance/compliance - it's a contract, even if it isn't a formal mobile plan contract in the same way as we have been used to in the past.

Originally Posted by TGarza
Paying off the phone early ends the monthly credit from AT&T which is in the details of the trade in agreement when I returned my iPhone 8 for the $800 credit.
I admit that I did not read the fine print in the contr...err, the documents in question, I just asked the rep how I could get a new phone early without having to pay the $5/month fee. That was how she explained it to me. I concede that it would not be unprecedented for either a sales rep to be wrong or for me to have misunderstood something.

So as to not possibly confuse anyone with incorrect information, I will edit that part of my post.

Last edited by anrkitec; Nov 3, 2020 at 12:56 pm
Old Nov 3, 2020, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by TGarza
AT&T $800 trade in for the iPhone 8 ends 11/5. Starting 11/6, the trade in drops to $700 when the 12 mini and 12 pro Max launch.

On the Apple website, the first tab to display on screen for the AT&T trade in is the iPhone 12 mini offer which is $700. Click the iPhone 12 tab for the $800 trade in offer. I have 2 iPhone 12 minis reserved with the $700 credit for each phone.
Do you know if the lower trade in to ATT for $350 credit ends 11/6? Was going to do this for spouse for Xmas and don’t really want to deal with it right now.
Old Nov 3, 2020, 7:14 pm

If you buy the phone from Apple (apple.com or Apple store app or Apple Store) the only locked option is if you Choose AT&T as your carrier and pay with an AT&T installment plan. All other options from Apple are unlocked.

-David
Old Nov 3, 2020, 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
Do you know if the lower trade in to ATT for $350 credit ends 11/6? Was going to do this for spouse for Xmas and don’t really want to deal with it right now.
The $350 credit continues after 11/6. Click AT&T see offer details which has both promotions.

https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-iphone/iphone-12
Stgermainparis likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2020, 12:32 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite
Just did the $800 credit for our iPhone8 and iPhone XS to upgrade to the iPhone 12's through AT&T.

Fine print says that only customers with unlimited data plans are eligible for the program. We were on an old 20GB plan and were able to upgrade to the unlimited plan at a lower cost. Big win for us.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.