Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New iPhone is here!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2020, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CPRich
I won't be surprised at all if this offer is available for the Mini and Pro Max, when they are made available for order on November 6. AT&T's fine print says "UP TO $800 OFF APPLE SMARTPHONES" but only the 12 and 12 Pro are available from anyone as of today.
Could very well be. But I don't see myself ever getting a phone the size of the Max. Even the 11/12 Pro are pushing it for me as it is.

But the only things missing from the 12 Pro that are [a] compelling to me and [b] anywhere on the horizon of becoming reality are 120Hz, sensor shift, and under-the-glass Touch ID.

A 12 Pro-sized replacement that had all of that and I would probably do the AT&T upgrade, or even just pay the penalty and buy out my contract.
Old Oct 20, 2020, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
We broke down and ordered new iPhones yesterday from T-Mobile. They're offering a really nice trade-in offer on old iPhones, and we're going to port over from Verizon prepaid to their Magenta Plus plan. My wife and I are upgrading from iPhone XS (her) and XS Max (me) to the 12 Pro and my daughter is upgrading from an 8 to a 12. I'm kind of tired of the giant phone (I've had one or another gargantuphone since the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 in 2012), so I'm looking forward to the 12.

I just checked on PhoneArena and the 12 is only a bit smaller than that old Galaxy Note II. My how times have changed.

We waited too long to preorder, so we're in the queue for mid-November.
Old Oct 20, 2020, 11:41 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by SRQ Guy
We broke down and ordered new iPhones yesterday from T-Mobile. They're offering a really nice trade-in offer on old iPhones, and we're going to port over from Verizon prepaid to their Magenta Plus plan. My wife and I are upgrading from iPhone XS (her) and XS Max (me) to the 12 Pro and my daughter is upgrading from an 8 to a 12. I'm kind of tired of the giant phone (I've had one or another gargantuphone since the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 in 2012), so I'm looking forward to the 12.

I just checked on PhoneArena and the 12 is only a bit smaller than that old Galaxy Note II. My how times have changed.

We waited too long to preorder, so we're in the queue for mid-November.
Pro-tip: Choose in-store pickup option, many of which are on release day.
Old Oct 20, 2020, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LordHamster
Pro-tip: Choose in-store pickup option, many of which are on release day.
We already ordered for delivery. We can wait a few weeks. 😁
Old Oct 20, 2020, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

On a side note, does anyone else find the “most powerful iPhone ever” advertising to be odd? Like, no crap. They’re sure as heck not going to build one and say “it’s not quite as good as last year’s, but almost!”
Old Oct 20, 2020, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SRQ Guy
On a side note, does anyone else find the “most powerful iPhone ever” advertising to be odd? Like, no crap. They’re sure as heck not going to build one and say “it’s not quite as good as last year’s, but almost!”
Not sure that most advertising in general is aimed at...never mind. Hasn't most Apple advertising over the last 25 years pretty much been an attempt to convince people that they first invented and have now reinvented the wheel?

But I must say, with all of the unboxing and 'first look' videos today, I am, what's the word, loving - no, not loving, absolutely hating the shiny mirror finish on the edges of the Pro models.The official Apple publicity shots made the graphite version appear almost matte.

Wonder if my local store still has that 11 Pro in space grey. Seriously, it was one thing when they had one color for those who like bling. Why are they forcing that on everyone now?

Last edited by anrkitec; Oct 20, 2020 at 8:05 pm
Old Oct 21, 2020, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by deniah
I'm really curious. What happens to all these devices that gets traded in to the manufacturer?
I'd guess a lot goes on sale as used ones, either in the US or overseas, where there's a demographic able to afford say $2-400 for a 2-3-4 years old model but not a $6-800-1000 model.

I'm still on 7 and feel no urge to upgrade.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2020, 11:03 am
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
I don't know if Apple pays this guy or just gives him early access to the hardware. His reviews of iPhone cameras are detailed and they come out early (hence the early access). He usually gives positive reviews.

In any event, he shows some good examples including improvements to Night Mode over the 11.

His conclusion:

The iPhone 12 Pro is a solid camera, and thanks to a bunch of new digital tech I found it to be slightly stronger than the already great iPhone 11 Pro — but if you are serious about photography with your iPhone, wait for the iPhone 12 Pro Max. It looks to be the most significant jump in iPhone camera hardware we’ve experienced in years, and it’s only three weeks away.

Anyone who has followed this blog knows I prefer to carry a smaller iPhone because it fits better in my pocket, it’s easier to hold, and it’s overall more discreet. That said, I definitely want the new camera capabilities of the iPhone 12 Pro Max, so I’m planning to adapt to the slightly larger device to get significantly more hardware horsepower.
iPhone 12 Pro Camera Review: Glacier ? Austin Mann
Old Oct 21, 2020, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by exp
"The iPhone 12 Pro is a solid camera, and thanks to a bunch of new digital tech I found it to be slightly stronger than the already great iPhone 11 Pro — but if you are serious about photography with your iPhone, wait for the iPhone 12 Pro Max. It looks to be the most significant jump in iPhone camera hardware we’ve experienced in years, and it’s only three weeks away.

Anyone who has followed this blog knows I prefer to carry a smaller iPhone because it fits better in my pocket, it’s easier to hold, and it’s overall more discreet. That said, I definitely want the new camera capabilities of the iPhone 12 Pro Max, so I’m planning to adapt to the slightly larger device to get significantly more hardware horsepower."
The only hardware differences are the sensor shift stabilization [made possible by the larger size of the Max] and a slightly longer though slightly slower telephoto [~65mm vs ~55mm, f/2.2 vs. f/2.0]. The software/AI/AR is the same.

If your primary purpose in getting a new phone is for the camera, and you don't care about the extra size, weight, and cost then yeah, sure, wait.
Old Oct 21, 2020, 2:47 pm

I placed an order to upgrade 4 lines with different iPhone different 12 models. The OLAM was finally updated to replace my company FAN discount with my AARP membership which is the same service discount and waived upgrade fees
Old Oct 22, 2020, 1:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by anrkitec
If your primary purpose in getting a new phone is for the camera, and you don't care about the extra size, weight, and cost then yeah, sure, wait.
This may sound a wild idea - why not buy a camera?
Old Oct 22, 2020, 2:04 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
Because a dedicated camera would be an additional thing to carry and less likely to be carried for ad hoc photo-taking than when the camera is built into something that is going to be carried anyway and is convenient -- that is the phone -- when wanting to take photos/videos.

I say this even as I would be fine still using just my iPhone 6 -- a device which I use almost as much or more than even my 11 Pro -- if it weren't for the camera and the updated (and updating of) apps/software.
Old Oct 22, 2020, 2:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I understand your argument, but as I underlined - if a gadget's primary purpose is taking pictures, a camera is better. And much better bang for the buck in terms of IQ (Image Quality). For the selfie taker/IG/Snapchat crowd it's just the same.
Old Oct 22, 2020, 3:01 am

Programs: *G
i've used WiFi SDCards, and cameras from 3 vendors with wifi/bluetooth and smartphone tethering. The experience is pretty stone-age and I wouldnt recommend to, say, my parents if the end of result is for photos to reside be online and shareable.

for someone who doesnt have and doesnt want to own a dedicated camera, but wants the extra photographic envelope from having optical zoom and stabilization, the 12 pro max whatever looks like a serious proposition.

i still maintain a dedicated camera for "serious" shooting, so the standard 12 / 12 mini is sufficient for spontaneous shooting
LIH Prem likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2020, 10:49 am
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Because a dedicated camera would be an additional thing to carry and less likely to be carried for ad hoc photo-taking than when the camera is built into something that is going to be carried anyway and is convenient -- that is the phone -- when wanting to take photos/videos.

I say this even as I would be fine still using just my iPhone 6 -- a device which I use almost as much or more than even my 11 Pro -- if it weren't for the camera and the updated (and updating of) apps/software.
I understand your argument, but as I underlined - if a gadget's primary purpose is taking pictures, a camera is better. And much better bang for the buck in terms of IQ (Image Quality). For the selfie taker/IG/Snapchat crowd it's just the same.

One of the most common types of pictures taken are those of friends and family at some gatherings -- if we ever have them again after the pandemic.

These are often taken in low light. Even nice DSLRs may require fast lenses, maybe even flash, to have these turn out well.

If Night Mode is good as advertised, it may be a good mix of portability and availability vs. a larger dedicated camera.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.