Wiki Posts
Search

New iPhone is here!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2019, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
Originally Posted by corky
I know!!! I want the Note8 or S8+ but can't get them!! My only way is to be without any phone for 4 or 5 days & I get the heebie jeebies just thinking about it.
I initially thought the A50 was a no-go but I have read excellent reviews. And I wouldn't even look twice if it wasn't big but it is! And has 3 cameras & long battery life. What do you think that I would miss? I haven't pulled the trigger on anything yet. I hate this whole process.
I've not done a direct comparison between the S8+ and the A50 however, the S range is their flagship. You'd need to weigh up all your options as I'm sure there are other factors to consider.

Is there any way to slip a pay as you go sim card in your old phone while you waited for your new one?
Old Sep 11, 2019, 12:09 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Mr. Vker to Mrs Vker "The new Iphone is out, I'm going to get one this weekend!"

Mrs Vker "What will you be able to do with the new one that you can't do now?"

Mr. Vker Silence

Mrs Vker "That's what I thought."

Mr Vker goes back to the basement.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 12:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
I know!!! I want the Note8 or S8+ but can't get them!! My only way is to be without any phone for 4 or 5 days & I get the heebie jeebies just thinking about it.
Is that because the store doesn’t have it in stock? If you went one generation newer would you be able to walk out with the new device?
Old Sep 11, 2019, 12:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
Mr. Vker to Mrs Vker "The new Iphone is out, I'm going to get one this weekend!"

Mr. Vker Silence

Mr Vker goes back to the basement.
The ability to shoot up close and wide angle video simultaneously is a winner for any parent at a kid’s concert or play or game. My wife and I would use multiple phones and/or camcorder.

Remember, the comparison isn’t between the 11 Pro or S10+ v the most recent prior gen, it is against the device that is 2-5 years old, more representative of the install base.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 1:01 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
The ability to shoot up close and wide angle video simultaneously is a winner for any parent at a kid’s concert or play or game. My wife and I would use multiple phones and/or camcorder.

Remember, the comparison isn’t between the 11 Pro or S10+ v the most recent prior gen, it is against the device that is 2-5 years old, more representative of the install base.
I have a 10 and grown kids. But, good point for the grandkids!
Old Sep 11, 2019, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by USA_flyer
I've not done a direct comparison between the S8+ and the A50 however, the S range is their flagship. You'd need to weigh up all your options as I'm sure there are other factors to consider.

Is there any way to slip a pay as you go sim card in your old phone while you waited for your new one?
I know that S & Note are their flagship products but since I am so tech challenged I wonder if they are more phone than I need or would use. However, if the 9's and 10's were less that $900 I would buy one. I don't know about the pay as you go sim card!! I am going to look into that. Or rather I am going to ask a person at the store to look into that since I don't have a clue how any of this stuff works. Thanks for the suggestion. I can be without a phone for one or 2 days but there is no way to pay extra and get the shipping expedited so 4 or 5 days is what I am looking at.

Originally Posted by uastarflyer
Is that because the store doesn’t have it in stock? If you went one generation newer would you be able to walk out with the new device?
NO store has them in stock...they don't waste space on anything other than the latest and greatest (and priciest). Not Best Buy, Not Target, Not Frye's, Not Verizon. Verizon does not sell them in their stores or on their site--I even tried calling. The only place I was able to find one was through the Costco wireless kiosk (which is not Costco but somehow contracted with them) and the Note 8 is $499 which is fine but that is the one that has to be mailed to my house after I activate it (and deactivate my current phone). If my current phone was newer she could reactivate it immediately after the transaction but Verizon no longer supports my old phone. Actually, I have very few issues with my old Note 3 other than it has slowed down considerably and battery life is very short. Other than that, I love it and I love the size and ease of use but as of the first of the year, I will not be able to use it because it is 3g and won't be serviced by Verizon.
I remember I got my first phone FREE from Domino's pizza and it was easy peasy...samsung that I had for a decent amount of time. Now it's such a cluster **** to buy a phone.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 1:59 pm

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
i'm going to get refreshed out of my work iPhone 6s in November so I guess I'm going to have to learn all those stupid gestures, for my own purposes I still have two unopened iPhone SEs ready to go.

I just can't get excited about these devices, I own an even better device for every task they can tackle well.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've got the Xs now and don't plan on buying a new phone. I am on the "every 3 years" plan. I had a 6s for 3 years before the Xs.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 6:29 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
I have a Xs (512GB) and am generally happy with it except for 2 things:

1) Too heavy
2) Portrait mode sucks without a face in their (i.e. pictures of non people).

The 11Pro is heavier still (like 1/2 oz but still) and they claim it will do Portrait mode on inanimate objects. I am hoping that is software and we'll all get it with the new IOS but I might be wrong.

I have a Pixel 2XL which takes great portrait mode photos, so I decided to trade that in for Pixel 3 (got a deal) and upgrade the iPhone next year. (I need both an Android and an iPhone to test apps)

Then I saw the software in the presentation that lets you take video simultaneously with all 4 cameras (three rear, one front). Man, that is way cool! I have absolutely no use for except for the inner videographer that I am sure is struggling to break loose

I'm still not planning to upgrade but that software had me thinking about it for a minute
Old Sep 11, 2019, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by 9Benua
I thought this year is the big one with the 3 cameras released. If I bought Xs, I'll be quite pissed since the 11 has the same camera as Xs and cheaper price.
Almost every single preview/what's coming article that I've read over the last 6 months have said this was the every-other-year incremental step, as Apple has always done.

If you get pissed because next year's phone has better features at a better price than last years, you're pretty much never going to be happy with anything.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by USA_flyer
If you're tied into the Apple ecosystem (iTunes, iCloud, Apple TV etc), then it makes sense to stick with Apple.

Personally, I love my Samsung S8+ and plan to get a S10+ in the spring. They really are just very nice phones.
I've been using Apple products since c. 1982. I currently have three iPads, two iPods, two MacBooks, a MacBook Pro and a venerable 2010 Mac Pro tower. Each has a place in my 'ecosystem'. I have never had, nor wanted, an iPhone. Clearly not an Apple "hater", just never saw the point.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 12:02 am

I am Samsung as well. I have been trying to buy a NEW (not refurbished and not from ebay or amazon--don't trust them) Note 8 for months....
BTW--all of you iphone people....the Samsung S10 and Note 10 both have 5 cameras.
Now now. Some people aren't wed to either system or manufacturer.

However, if the 9's and 10's were less that $900 I would buy one.
NO store has them in stock...they don't waste space on anything other than the latest and greatest (and priciest). Not Best Buy, Not Target, Not Frye's, Not Verizon. Verizon does not sell them in their stores or on their site--I even tried calling. The only place I was able to find one was through the Costco wireless kiosk (which is not Costco but somehow contracted with them) and the Note 8 is $499 which is fine but that is the one that has to be mailed to my house after I activate it (and deactivate my current phone). If my current phone was newer she could reactivate it immediately after the transaction but Verizon no longer supports my old phone. Actually, I have very few issues with my old Note 3 other than it has slowed down considerably and battery life is very short. Other than that, I love it and I love the size and ease of use but as of the first of the year, I will not be able to use it because it is 3g and won't be serviced by Verizon.
I remember I got my first phone FREE from Domino's pizza and it was easy peasy...samsung that I had for a decent amount of time. Now it's such a cluster **** to buy a phone.
This is partially the danger of sticking with a really old phone. It gets difficult to migrate from because most the migration agents don't work with that old of an operating system. It gets difficult to find a new case, repair parts, or when it was still possible - replacement batteries. Just for future planning, upgrading every 3-4 years is probably a good target range if you like to keep your working products but don't want to be tech lapsed too hard and go through something like this again. 5G is coming, too. Can you wait until Thanksgiving? That might bring the Note 10 under $1,000 on a Black Friday promo (or a bit before). You might be "Team Samsung" but also take a look at the upcoming Google Pixel 4 and current Pixel 3. They have excellent cameras. Just be wary of when Google runs a promo as you may need to get it in writing and continue to chase them down on their service credits.

Migration headache is also partially the danger of moving to a new phone. I have a 3HK prepaid esim on my Xs max for travel and don't know how they'd migrate it to a new iPhone... Good thing I don't have a few esims as it is left up to the carrier on how to migrate them.

I was hoping for usb-c this year since I don't particularly want to jump on a 1st gen 5G iPhone release in 2020.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 3:20 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Mr. Vker

Mr. Vker "You wouldn't understand"

Mr Vker orders new iPhone
I've corrected the above to what I say to my missus.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 3:23 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by kale73
I've been using Apple products since c. 1982. I currently have three iPads, two iPods, two MacBooks, a MacBook Pro and a venerable 2010 Mac Pro tower. Each has a place in my 'ecosystem'. I have never had, nor wanted, an iPhone. Clearly not an Apple "hater", just never saw the point.
Same here... I have an iMac, MacBook 12 & MacBook Pro, but I hate iPhones. Nothing to make me change from my Galaxy s10+.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 3:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Same here... I have an iMac, MacBook 12 & MacBook Pro, but I hate iPhones. Nothing to make me change from my Galaxy s10+.
I'm the opposite way round. I have always had iPhones, but am otherwise totally PC and increasingly rely on Google for contacts, calendar and email. Apple doesn't seem to play nice with Google and I find the latter more useful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.