Wiki Posts
Search

New iPhone is here!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2019, 11:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
My non-pink phone has 512gb
is new aapl phone bigger than 512gb, like 1028gb?
is it finally back in pink (rose gold)?

i now have 31gb of space. Doh!!
Old Sep 11, 2019, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by kale73
Does it make and / or receive telephone calls better than its predecessor?
My iPhone 7 makes and receives calls very well until about 4pm when it's battery starts to run out. So a new phone would be better in that regard.

In any event, I'm thinking of switching to a Google phone as I'm fed up with the fact that my contacts won't sync properly on an iPhone.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
If you're tied into the Apple ecosystem (iTunes, iCloud, Apple TV etc), then it makes sense to stick with Apple.

Personally, I love my Samsung S8+ and plan to get a S10+ in the spring. They really are just very nice phones.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 6:27 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold (*G), IHG Platinum & Hyatt Discoverist
I've been on the iPhone since the 5s came out, and have been using the 6s since it launched almost four years ago.

It's still a great phone but a good deal on the Pixel 3 came up last week so I've upgraded, mainly for the camera.

Would consider moving back to iPhone in future, but the design and incremental improvements this year aren't worth the asking price for my useage.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 7:21 am

I hope the trend displayed here in the posts doesn't hold true of the wider apple loving community. I'm heavily invested in apple stock and rely on fanbois around the world to keep it ticking upwards. I'll setup alerts on my trading platform just in case
Old Sep 11, 2019, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gaobest
My non-pink phone has 512gb
is new aapl phone bigger than 512gb, like 1028gb?
is it finally back in pink (rose gold)?

i now have 31gb of space. Doh!!
What is taking all that space? Do you not offload anything into the cloud?
Old Sep 11, 2019, 8:09 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
The fact that new iPhones don't have compelling enough features to entice mass upgrading every generation is old news. The changes across first few generations were significant enough that it was reasonable to consider upgrading every year. Then, as is typical for maturing consumer technology, the common wisdom shifted to "Upgrade every 2 years". Then every 3 years.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by annerj
What is taking all that space? Do you not offload anything into the cloud?
It must be the movies.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 8:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by JamesKidd
I hope the trend displayed here in the posts doesn't hold true of the wider apple loving community. I'm heavily invested in apple stock and rely on fanbois around the world to keep it ticking upwards. I'll setup alerts on my trading platform just in case
This. I bought AAPL pre-split.

I love the fanbois.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
all prior Iphones had something really good and exciting like with the 10 it was the screen resolution and camera quality.

Now the 11 is being touted only with a longer battery. That's it. Yay. Apple's profitability comes mostly from this device I bet. Iphone have reached their peak and will go downhill quicker than a self recoiling hose.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 10:38 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by CPRich

Next year is supposed to be "the next big one". It had better be.
I thought this year is the big one with the 3 cameras released. If I bought Xs, I'll be quite pissed since the 11 has the same camera as Xs and cheaper price.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 10:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by enviroian
Now the 11 is being touted only with a longer battery. That's it. Yay. Apple's profitability comes mostly from this device I bet. Iphone have reached their peak and will go downhill quicker than a self recoiling hose.
the profit trend is primarily subscription services (Cloud, Music, soon TV, Arcade, etc), device sales are basically flat.

Originally Posted by 9Benua
I thought this year is the big one with the 3 cameras released. If I bought Xs, I'll be quite pissed since the 11 has the same camera as Xs and cheaper price.
The 11 has an inferior screen (like the Xr). But said XS owner could get the 11 for $100 or so if he/she wanted (net of trade)..

I might flip my younger kid’s 8 for an 11 if I can get the spread down below $300. Costco do your magic!
Old Sep 11, 2019, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
My Note9, with excellent battery life AND headphone jack, will work just fine for me, thanks.
Originally Posted by USA_flyer
If you're tied into the Apple ecosystem (iTunes, iCloud, Apple TV etc), then it makes sense to stick with Apple.

Personally, I love my Samsung S8+ and plan to get a S10+ in the spring. They really are just very nice phones.
I am Samsung as well. I have been trying to buy a NEW (not refurbished and not from ebay or amazon--don't trust them) Note 8 for months. I would also settle for the S8+. The problem seems to be that when the newest stuff comes out, no one stocks the older ones even though they aren't that old. The other problem is that it has to be tied to my service which is Verizon. My only option seems to be buying a Note8 through the costco kiosk but I would have to be without my current phone (Note 3) for the 4 or 5 days that it takes them to mail the new phone to me. It has to be activated with my account before they can send it. The Note9 or Note10+ are both beautiful but it will be a cold day in hell before I spend $1100 on a phone. So now I am thinking of blowing all that off and getting a Galaxy A50. I want a big phone & that seems to be a good cheaper Samsung with good reviews ($329). I hope I don't regret it.
BTW--all of you iphone people....the Samsung S10 and Note 10 both have 5 cameras.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
Originally Posted by corky
I am Samsung as well. I have been trying to buy a NEW (not refurbished and not from ebay or amazon--don't trust them) Note 8 for months. I would also settle for the S8+. The problem seems to be that when the newest stuff comes out, no one stocks the older ones even though they aren't that old. The other problem is that it has to be tied to my service which is Verizon. My only option seems to be buying a Note8 through the costco kiosk but I would have to be without my current phone (Note 3) for the 4 or 5 days that it takes them to mail the new phone to me. It has to be activated with my account before they can send it. The Note9 or Note10+ are both beautiful but it will be a cold day in hell before I spend $1100 on a phone. So now I am thinking of blowing all that off and getting a Galaxy A50. I want a big phone & that seems to be a good cheaper Samsung with good reviews ($329). I hope I don't regret it.
BTW--all of you iphone people....the Samsung S10 and Note 10 both have 5 cameras.
I love my S8+. So fast, so much screen real estate, great camera, great battery. I put mine in a case rather than a skin so that helps keep it nice.

FWIW I wouldn't settle for a lesser phone like the A50. I'm sure its decent but it won't have the same wow factor as the S8+.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by USA_flyer
I love my S8+. So fast, so much screen real estate, great camera, great battery. I put mine in a case rather than a skin so that helps keep it nice.

FWIW I wouldn't settle for a lesser phone like the A50. I'm sure its decent but it won't have the same wow factor as the S8+.
I know!!! I want the Note8 or S8+ but can't get them!! My only way is to be without any phone for 4 or 5 days & I get the heebie jeebies just thinking about it.
I initially thought the A50 was a no-go but I have read excellent reviews. And I wouldn't even look twice if it wasn't big but it is! And has 3 cameras & long battery life. What do you think that I would miss? I haven't pulled the trigger on anything yet. I hate this whole process.

https://www.gadgetsnow.com/compare-m...Xiaomi-Mi-Play

Last edited by corky; Sep 11, 2019 at 11:53 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.