FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by 9Benua
7 new, 8 refresh
X new, Xs refresh
11 pro new, next year refresh.

No?
No. 8 and X were the same year, and X was a one-off anniversary special - an early-arriving XS. 11 is a warmed over XS - there's not much there other than a new lens.

12 - 5G, notch-free full screen, all OLED, SE-sized replacement. time-of-flight sensor, full-screen Touch ID, etc.

iPhone 12 (AKA iPhone 5G) Will Be MAJOR Update Over iPhone 11

Word on the street suggests that Apple is prepping something rather special for 2020. And by special, I mean something totally different
Old Sep 13, 2019, 10:42 pm

Programs: Non-Affiliated
Originally Posted by CPRich
No. 8 and X were the same year, and X was a one-off anniversary special - an early-arriving XS. 11 is a warmed over XS - there's not much there other than a new lens.

12 - 5G, notch-free full screen, all OLED, SE-sized replacement. time-of-flight sensor, full-screen Touch ID, etc.

iPhone 12 (AKA iPhone 5G) Will Be MAJOR Update Over iPhone 11
That article was painful to read and poorly researched.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 12:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by corky
I don't want a used phone but I have been to Best Buy (2 diff stores) probably about 10 times with my phone search and never have they offered nor have I seen any used phones. One of the Best Buys doesn't even stock the Note 9 anymore...all Note or S 10's. The same with the Verizon store. I spent a very long time on the phone with a Verizon guy who was very nice and helpful and tried every which way to find me an 8. Nope.
My last hope is still the Costco kiosk which I might be able to pull off---I will know this weekend. There are only 19 Note8's in a Costco warehouse somewhere and that is for all the Costcos in the US. If this fails, I will be fine with the A50.
I've always seen the used stuff listed (including information on its condition and price) on the BestBuy website. You can either look at a particular store or it will search for everything at a store within X miles and also specify how soon you can pick it up in your local store. My large local store has a rack where they put the used items, IIRC for the small electronics and accessories category. I think they can transfer it from stores nationwide into your favorite location.

With the term used, I'm including not just refurbished but also things where the box was opened before it was returned.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 5:29 pm

Wonder if the new night mode would be as amazing as the Pixel 3 night sight.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 3:11 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Even if I were to soon buy one of the new model iPhones, I would wait three to five weeks after the launch date for sales to see what the initial wave of buyers experience from use of the devices under ordinary conditions.

I feel sort of weird to be considering buying a $1300+ smartphone, but in comparison to my travel costs and given my extensive use of time using such devices, I shouldn’t feel so weird about it.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 12:32 pm

I'm upgrading my iPhone 7. The battery is shot, which would be a cheaper solution than a new phone by about $1,400. But I am interested in the battery life - especially when I'm traveling. The wireless charging, dual SIM, and FaceID are nice upgrades too.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I've always seen the used stuff listed (including information on its condition and price) on the BestBuy website. You can either look at a particular store or it will search for everything at a store within X miles and also specify how soon you can pick it up in your local store. My large local store has a rack where they put the used items, IIRC for the small electronics and accessories category. I think they can transfer it from stores nationwide into your favorite location.

With the term used, I'm including not just refurbished but also things where the box was opened before it was returned.
I just bought the Galaxy A50. I have not seen any used phones on their website. And turns out that they will not transfer stuff from store to store...I asked a couple months ago when a store a couple hundred miles away had the phone I wanted. They will only let you order it online if it is not in your local store.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 10:59 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by tmiw
I'm not. At least in the US, coverage is still very limited--not to mention that the chipsets that are available are huge battery hogs that get hot quickly.

Anyway, Apple will likely do 5G after coverage gets better and all of the Android OEMs have worked out the kinks, just like what happened with LTE.
Pretty sure they're going to go 5G next year, whether or not 5G networks are any good by then.

That is one reason they settled with Qualcomm, to use their 5G baseband. They bought Intel's modem IP but it's going to take them awhile to ramp up that design to be in any ways competitive, not to mention eventually integrating it with the SOC.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 11:01 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by uastarflyer
The 11 is same or larger screen size as a 7+ in a way better package all around.
Actually while the Face ID phones -- 11 and the Pros -- all have greater diagonal screens than the Plus models (6.1 inch vs. 5.5 inch) they are narrower so in Portrait mode, I don't think you get more text per screen of a web page before having to scroll.

Not a fan of the narrower aspect ratio.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 11:03 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Need
I think some early reviews have compared it favorably to the Pixel 3. Of course Pixel 4 comes out next month.

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Even if I were to soon buy one of the new model iPhones, I would wait three to five weeks after the launch date for sales to see what the initial wave of buyers experience from use of the devices under ordinary conditions.

I feel sort of weird to be considering buying a $1300+ smartphone, but in comparison to my travel costs and given my extensive use of time using such devices, I shouldn’t feel so weird about it.

I think one feature which may merit waiting judgement is the Mass Fusion photo mode, which they said will be a software update. It's also known as Sweater Mode.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by wco81
Pretty sure they're going to go 5G next year, whether or not 5G networks are any good by then.

That is one reason they settled with Qualcomm, to use their 5G baseband. They bought Intel's modem IP but it's going to take them awhile to ramp up that design to be in any ways competitive, not to mention eventually integrating it with the SOC.
The "new" T-Mobile's network might be reasonable enough by then as well as some non-US networks (due to use of mid-band), but I don't see AT&T or Verizon managing it within a year if they stick with mmWave. Plus, if Qualcomm's parts still have unacceptable power consumption, there's no guarantee Apple will release support anyway.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 11:36 am

Programs: United MP
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
If you are on TMobile they are offering the new 11 for $350 with a trade-in of your 7+ (Valuing it at $350). I would jump on that. If Costco history is any guide they will have the same deal for just $300. Next year the 7+ will be probably $150 tops.

The 11 is same or larger screen size as a 7+ in a way better package all around.
After thinking about this, I went for it and ordered an 11 for $350. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. ^
Old Sep 21, 2019, 7:01 am

Programs: United MP
(Edit: can't remember what this was a response to)

The only reason I went for it was the low price. Despite there not being a need to upgrade, I'm kind of happy that I did. I rarely ever get the chance to take advantage of a deal so it feels good for once.

Last edited by DeafFlyer; Nov 8, 2019 at 7:30 am Reason: added top line because the post was messed up.
Old Sep 21, 2019, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by Need
Sounds like it

Night Mode on the iPhone 11 and 11 Pro also manages to beat out Google's similar Night Sight technology...
where the Pixel overexposes the sky, softens details like the grain of the wooden fence and slightly washes out the center of the frame, the iPhone maintains lifelike contrast and clarity, and navigates those intense highlights, like the light bulbs strung up overhead, much better
I've read a couple other comparisons with similar findings.
Old Sep 21, 2019, 4:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by corky
I just bought the Galaxy A50. I have not seen any used phones on their website. And turns out that they will not transfer stuff from store to store...I asked a couple months ago when a store a couple hundred miles away had the phone I wanted. They will only let you order it online if it is not in your local store.
That's interesting about transferring merchandise. My area has a lot of BestBuys (as well as corporate HQ) and my impression from the website is that they will transfer stuff because often I see stuff in other stores that seems to be available in my favorite store something like the next day.

In fact, when I look at used (refurbished and preowned) cell phones, I see one indicated as being in a store seven miles away for pickup today and available for pickup in my store in a few days.

Maybe different regions have different policies?

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Sep 21, 2019 at 4:40 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.