New iPhone is here!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New iPhone is here!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2020, 5:07 am

Originally Posted by aww3583
Just did the $800 credit for our iPhone8 and iPhone XS to upgrade to the iPhone 12's through AT&T.

Fine print says that only customers with unlimited data plans are eligible for the program. We were on an old 20GB plan and were able to upgrade to the unlimited plan at a lower cost. Big win for us.
The elite unlimited plan is eligible for FAN account discounts. My FAN account has no activation fee and a 25% discount ($10) per line in addition to the paperless/auto payment discounts.
Old Nov 9, 2020, 9:01 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Who will be the first to bite the bullet and remove all ports from their phone? Apple were late to the party with wireless charging, but now seem to be pushing it. Maybe the iPhone 13 will be QI only?
Unpopular Opinion:
I'd pay extra for a portless phone. IMO the port on the iPhone is currently the single biggest security liability.
https://www.businessinsider.com/poli...phones-2020-10
Old Nov 9, 2020, 4:13 pm
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
Originally Posted by LordHamster
Unpopular Opinion:
I'd pay extra for a portless phone. IMO the port on the iPhone is currently the single biggest security liability.
https://www.businessinsider.com/poli...phones-2020-10

Then they'd hack through bluetooth or some wireless protocol.
der_saeufer and crackjack like this.
Old Nov 11, 2020, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by exp
Then they'd hack through bluetooth or some wireless protocol.
I'm sure you are right, but it would close the currently most popular attack vector. Not saying we can make the phones 100% crack proof by the FBI or someone sophisticated. I just don't want Barney Fife and his $10 rental "phonehackifier" to be able to crack my phone easily.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2020, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
As most of the listed software is tens of thousands of dollars, one only supports up the the iPhone 7, another the iPhone X, and
The FBI paid under $1 million for the technique used to unlock the iPhone used by one of the San Bernardino shooters - a figure smaller than the $1.3 million the agency’s chief initially indicated the hack cost,
where are these $10 hacks coming from?

Last edited by CPRich; Nov 11, 2020 at 8:59 pm
Old Nov 19, 2020, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by CPRich
As most of the listed software is tens of thousands of dollars, one only supports up the the iPhone 7, another the iPhone X, and

where are these $10 hacks coming from?
Obviously I'm being a bit hyperbolic, but there are companies renting the software and equipment to small police departments:
https://www.businessinsider.com/poli...20new%20report.

The tools are sold by firms including Grayshift, Cellebrite, and AccessData. Police spend anywhere from $9,000 to more than $20,000 to buy and license the tools, according to records published by Upturn. Phones that are more difficult to break into — like the newest iPhone models — can be shipped to companies like Cellebrite, which charges from thousands of dollars to unlock a single phone.
Presumably if a department has such a device and spent say $20k to get it, then they have a strong incentive to use it often, and the per-phone crack price drops dramatically. These kinds of relatively cheap tools make fishing expeditions by local law enforcement much more financially viable. Like I said, I'm not planning on stopping the FBI, but I don't want some yahoo in the Cleveland PD with too much free time on his hands, and access to the department's equipment to have easy access to all my data. Given the option, I'd take a portless phone for this reason. It ain't 100% fool proof, but it doesn't have to be. I want to make it HARDER for my phone to be compromised, I'm not under any illusion it will be impossible to compromise.
Old Nov 20, 2020, 7:39 pm

3 weeks +1 day for the returned iPhone 8 to be left at USPS and processed by AT&T. “It's in good working condition, so there's nothing else to do! We appreciate your business.” Newgestics picks up the phones for AT&T.
Old Nov 23, 2020, 1:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: vx diamond
Originally Posted by draver
That's certainly a lot less that I would have guessed from what I've heard and seen listed.

Another reason iPhone upgrades are a thing for me is the resale of last years model is generally quite high. If I postpone my upgrade, that diminishes of course. My 11 Pro Max 256Gb should net me around $700 or so, and I get a Vet discount from Apple. My new 12 Pro Max 256Gb will cost $1079 & $12 for an Amazon case. I like the idea of having a fresh battery, and the latest hardware. It's one of my many vices. Also, I don't want to be the richest person in the graveyard!
Elon is asking if he can interest you in a Tesla that is horrible car quality and which you may only get fixed by Tesla !
Old Nov 24, 2020, 6:42 am

The resale for Teslas will probably not be that great as newer battery and fuel tech emerges. They are quite common here but I like SUVs and only drive about 5K miles a year, so there is no savings on fuel compared to the purchase price premium. I'm waiting for better batteries or perhaps hydrogen fuel for cars. (If I live that long!)

I have only had two iPhones fail in any way, buying two per year for 10 years and both were replaced by Apple in a matter of minutes at the Apple Store. They have about the best customer support I have ever experienced.
sea_jeff likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2020, 10:34 am
Suspended

Programs: vx diamond
I will get the iphone 13 as the jump in tech and 5g will most likely be an improvement to 4g the 120 mhz refresh with upgraded camera and rumored 128 gb - 1 tb storage. Regarding tesla or any electric for that matter I think most folks want a suitable range and a superior build quality at the same price or less than fuel with tires tha tlast 50k -80k or so with independent repair shops to fix the cars when things go wrong .
Old Dec 26, 2020, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by jfk747
I will get the iphone 13 as the jump in tech and 5g will most likely be an improvement to 4g the 120 mhz refresh with upgraded camera and rumored 128 gb - 1 tb storage.
The rumored improvements from the 12 to the 13 is new wifi standard and improved screen display with the possible reintroduction of the finger sensor. 5G should be the same for the 12 and 13. When available the 5G capability of the 12 is a noticeable improvement from the LTE.
Old Jan 2, 2021, 3:14 pm

Really miss the thumbprint sensor...its really the only thing I miss going from the 8 to the 12.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2021, 3:32 pm
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
Originally Posted by pointcomplex
Really miss the thumbprint sensor...its really the only thing I miss going from the 8 to the 12.
There are rumors that they're working on under the screen sensors for fingerprints. No guarantee they will have TouchID back in September but they're looking into it.

I think they also need to try to put the cameras under the screen so that they can get rid of the notch.
Old Jan 2, 2021, 7:09 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by pointcomplex
I have a general dislike of the FaceID thing, but I find it useful for one purpose: if I happen to be using a phone mounted on a bike handlebar on a day where I'm not using sunglasses. Other than that I'd prefer to have the fingerprint sensor, if it comes to choosing between biometric features to unlock the phones.
Old Jan 3, 2021, 2:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by exp
There are rumors that they're working on under the screen sensors for fingerprints.
Also rumors that it will be included in the power button, as other phones have. I think masks showed the issues with FaceID - having both would be a good approach.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.