Community
Wiki Posts
Search

iPhone 7

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2016, 10:25 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
Speaking of expected sales and revenue, Apple needs something new. They're never going to see the kind of growth they had with earlier iPhones because:

• Everyone who wants (and can afford) one has one
  • They build them to last
  • The last revolutionary iteration was the 6/6 Plus, which is still a perfectly decent phone
  • They have the same issue with Macs and iPads which, in my experience, last for years
  • And the watch by itself wasn't enough.

If that car they're alleged to be working on isn't absolutely ground-breaking, I don't see where Apple has to go in terms of growth
Old Sep 10, 2016, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Internaut
Speaking of expected sales and revenue, Apple needs something new. They're never going to see the kind of growth they had with earlier iPhones because:

• Everyone who wants (and can afford) one has one
  • They build them to last
  • The last revolutionary iteration was the 6/6 Plus, which is still a perfectly decent phone
  • They have the same issue with Macs and iPads which, in my experience, last for years
  • And the watch by itself wasn't enough.

If that car they're alleged to be working on isn't absolutely ground-breaking, I don't see where Apple has to go in terms of growth
What I've seen lately shows a pivot from a car to self driving technology. Probably a smarter move for them anyway, create and sell the tech, get it into the hands of a manufacturer, and let them do what they're good at. Win/Win for everyone. Although CarPlay runs on QNX, which is actually Blackberry. Sooooo.... there's that.
Old Sep 10, 2016, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by Troopers
Will still able to...

Agree but wireless audio quality is more than adequate for normal daily use. If you need/want optimal audio quality, why a smartphone?
My smartphone is water and dust proof and went with me to the beach today. No way I'd try that with a normal media player.
Old Sep 11, 2016, 12:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by Jimmie76
My smartphone is water and dust proof and went with me to the beach today. No way I'd try that with a normal media player.
Did you also take your hi-fi cans with you to the beach? If not, the source might make little difference - the weakest link, and all that.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Most People Have No Interest in Buying iPhone 7

Sounds like it's more because people really don't feel they need to upgrade every two years than anything about the headphone jack. Also, it's harder to justify a $650 phone when a ~$300 Android device does 95% of what people want.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
Originally Posted by tmiw
Most People Have No Interest in Buying iPhone 7

Sounds like it's more because people really don't feel they need to upgrade every two years than anything about the headphone jack. Also, it's harder to justify a $650 phone when a ~$300 Android device does 95% of what people want.
It doesn't help that, name aside, Apple has effectively made this the third iteration in the iPhone 6 series. It's a lame duck and everyone is anticipating what revolutionary changes might come with the anniversary iPhone X next year.

That said I bet Samsung's Note 7 troubles will really help boost iphone 7 sales.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by SRQ Guy
It doesn't help that, name aside, Apple has effectively made this the third iteration in the iPhone 6 series. It's a lame duck and everyone is anticipating what revolutionary changes might come with the anniversary iPhone X next year.

That said I bet Samsung's Note 7 troubles will really help boost iphone 7 sales.
My 6+ was having some battery issues and I decided it was time.

But I'm also planning on upgrading next year -- my plan allows for it, so it's fine if I only keep this for a year and then sell it -- I've always gotten good money for my used iPhones.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 10:05 am

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
The problem is not that the phone itself has an issue after 1-2 years old. They push updates and both Apple and Android devices become slower and slower. It's akin to installing the newest OS on a machine that meets the recommendations but not it not OPTIMIZED for it.

This happens on every single phone. The final few updates before the new phones I just don't download. I have a 2nd gen Retina iPad(Large one) and I was doing updates and it basically become unusable it was so slow. I was able to force restore to the factory and choose an update that works with all the apps I wanted to use(Netflix, Plex and sports streaming) and it works amazing.

It's programmed 'failure'. "My battery is dying faster and it seems to be getting slow". Same apps are not the phone since the day you restored off iCloud and now it runs like crap.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dinanm3atl
The problem is not that the phone itself has an issue after 1-2 years old. They push updates and both Apple and Android devices become slower and slower. It's akin to installing the newest OS on a machine that meets the recommendations but not it not OPTIMIZED for it.

This happens on every single phone. The final few updates before the new phones I just don't download. I have a 2nd gen Retina iPad(Large one) and I was doing updates and it basically become unusable it was so slow. I was able to force restore to the factory and choose an update that works with all the apps I wanted to use(Netflix, Plex and sports streaming) and it works amazing.

It's programmed 'failure'. "My battery is dying faster and it seems to be getting slow". Same apps are not the phone since the day you restored off iCloud and now it runs like crap.
Well, my battery issues are actual issues. Phone shutting down at 15% life and starting up (after being plugged in for 5 minutes) at 24%....things like that.

I use my phone HARD and I just think it's outlived it's useful life. Besides, Verizon's gonna give me $300 towards the 7+, so I'm happy. I've spent 2 years with Android and it's unlikely I'll ever go back. I was never quite happy with it and how it interacted with my Mac.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 2:26 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by RichMSN
Well, my battery issues are actual issues. Phone shutting down at 15% life and starting up (after being plugged in for 5 minutes) at 24%....things like that.

I use my phone HARD and I just think it's outlived it's useful life. Besides, Verizon's gonna give me $300 towards the 7+, so I'm happy. I've spent 2 years with Android and it's unlikely I'll ever go back. I was never quite happy with it and how it interacted with my Mac.
Well yah. That just works well for Apple as the battery is not serviceable basically.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well yah. That just works well for Apple as the battery is not serviceable basically.
I consider 2 years right for getting a new phone. So no problem.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 3:22 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
I change my phones when they break. Since 2008, I've changed mobile phones 3 times. I expect to change the device not before 2019. By then my current iPhone clocks in 7 years of usage.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 5:40 pm

Programs: United MP

I'm trying to reconcile what you are saying with the fact that my iPad 2 still works well with the latest (I heard it was also the last update).
Old Sep 12, 2016, 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by DeafFlyer
I'm trying to reconcile what you are saying with the fact that my iPad 2 still works well with the latest (I heard it was also the last update).
My wife's iPad 2 got horribly slow after the latest updates. We tried a number of google'd solutions but nothing worked. Replaced it with an iPad Pro 9.7 and she's thrilled.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by Dodge DeBoulet
My wife's iPad 2 got horribly slow after the latest updates. We tried a number of google'd solutions but nothing worked. Replaced it with an iPad Pro 9.7 and she's thrilled.
Perfect for Apple

Device that worked fine but they drop an update that dogs it

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.