Wiki Posts
Search

iPhone 7

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2016, 2:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by mvtm
Well i just returned my Galaxy Note 7 that i bought through Samsung.com today.

I'm jumping the ship from Android to iOS...

Will buy a matte black (female here) iPhone Plus 7 256gb...

Was looking at the Jet black, really like it. But it even comes with scratches right out of the box, so i'm going with the matte black. Might pair it with a black Apple Watch in the future. I also really liked the silver, but the apple logo is a bit too reflective on the silver and i consume media might get the black bezels.

Waiting for the unlocked version to be available to order my phone. This is very strange, i am 100% pure android fan and .. i cannot take the Note 7 incident so i'm going to abandon Samsung. BETRAYAL!

BTW- I think the next hot color will be white, and that Apple will release a ceramic white iPhone in the future. That would look amazing, if only silver or white phone with a black front.
Well you made the right choice of switching to Apple. Especially as a frequent traveler, the Wallet app is excellent for storing cards and passes like you AAdvantage card, A3 card and your Priority Pass card etc.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 1:36 pm

Programs: DL Kettle| HH Pot
Originally Posted by mvtm
I'm in Venezuela, so if i get any carrier version i would have to pay at least a month of plan to unlock it. I think in T-Mobile they unlock your phone after 40 days being live in the network. I'm aware that the Verizon network is the one with most bands, but having to finish the activation process in-store (for any carrier version)... while i'm not in the US.. might be a bit of a hassle for me. The wait line is right now by November. I think if they get out the factory sim unlocked soon, there would be another queue... and i would have better chances to even receive it sooner than the carrier backordered ones. (counting that they release the int factory unlocked version this month.. hypothesis.. not sure what would happen)

So i'm just crossing my fingers for the factory unlocked version. Sounds reasonable? Or any other ideas?
They have been released but I read an article that said the wait times were double of the carrier phones.

Edit: I just looked at the iPhone 7 black 128GB and it's available for pick up today. Shipping oct 18
Old Oct 14, 2016, 2:59 pm

Programs: Former AA PLT/GLD, A3 *G, Priority Pass
Originally Posted by EmptyKim
They have been released but I read an article that said the wait times were double of the carrier phones.

Edit: I just looked at the iPhone 7 black 128GB and it's available for pick up today. Shipping oct 18
Talking about the king of rome. Just preordered.

I think i'm going to go for the Red case for the Matte Black. It is that or the Saddle, most likely set on Red.

Last edited by mvtm; Oct 14, 2016 at 3:18 pm
Old Oct 14, 2016, 11:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Use this site to check availability of the phones in any store virtually anywhere in the world....for non-US locations, leave the carrier selection dropdown set to 'all'.

http://www.istocknow.com/live/
Old Oct 15, 2016, 12:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red

Matte Black or Jet Black?
Old Oct 15, 2016, 8:39 am

The unlocked GSM/CDMA phones have just been released.
I ordered an unlocked iPhone 7 to replace my aging 4s. The 4s will become an iPod Touch and I will use it for podcasts, audio books and a few other such things.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 2:27 pm
Suspended

Questions to those who got their iPhone 7 from T-mobile.

How accurate is the shipping estimate? Is it locked to T-mobile?
Old Oct 18, 2016, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
Matte Black or Jet Black?
Matte. Jet Black seems to have less availability or more demand.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 8:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Matte. Jet Black seems to have less availability or more demand.
It seems the Jet Black has almost 0 availability in every major global market (no big loss, who wants a $800 phone already scratched in the box), yet the matte black is also very hard to find - another incredibly frustrating release by Apple where their arrogance and hubris does nothing but annoy customers who actually want to buy the product. This whole "limited availability" mystique nonsense from Tim Cook is getting old fast.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
It seems the Jet Black has almost 0 availability in every major global market (no big loss, who wants a $800 phone already scratched in the box), yet the matte black is also very hard to find - another incredibly frustrating release by Apple where their arrogance and hubris does nothing but annoy customers who actually want to buy the product. This whole "limited availability" mystique nonsense from Tim Cook is getting old fast.
Agree. This is the 9th iPhone release. From a supply chain management standpoint you would think they would have the launch supply nailed down. At least somewhat. I ordered on 9/9 around 12:15am, didn't get delivery until 9/28 for a product that was supposed to be available on 9/16.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
So will this be MemoryGate? It appears apple has used a slower class memory in the 32 GB 7. Wonder how long this will take to be more "controversial."

Old Oct 19, 2016, 11:09 am

I wish he had tested the 128 gig device.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 6:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, lowly UA 1K; Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold; National EC, Hertz PC
Picked up a SIM free Jet Black 7 Plus yesterday. Been using a 6 for the last two years. Not sure I am crazy about the extra size yet in daily use. Really wanted it for the camera and can see how the larger screen real estate can be useful but not sure I like just how big it is to hold in one hand. The other strange thing is 3d touch -- I guess once I figure out what has 3d touch functions that are useful it will be a real game changer, but right now it seems I am more only engaging it on accident.

Also for the poster a few above with the video on the 32GB write speed, that is a standard function of SSDs. Nothing to see there.

Finally, I know there is some banter on Intel vs Qualcomm modems. I believe all the SIM free versions come with the Qualcomm chip, although I have not tried to confirm that, and I can say this thing is blazingly fast. I got 78Mbps down on ATT in a building.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by adambadam
Picked up a SIM free Jet Black 7 Plus yesterday. Been using a 6 for the last two years. Not sure I am crazy about the extra size yet in daily use. Really wanted it for the camera and can see how the larger screen real estate can be useful but not sure I like just how big it is to hold in one hand. The other strange thing is 3d touch -- I guess once I figure out what has 3d touch functions that are useful it will be a real game changer, but right now it seems I am more only engaging it on accident.

Also for the poster a few above with the video on the 32GB write speed, that is a standard function of SSDs. Nothing to see there.

Finally, I know there is some banter on Intel vs Qualcomm modems. I believe all the SIM free versions come with the Qualcomm chip, although I have not tried to confirm that, and I can say this thing is blazingly fast. I got 78Mbps down on ATT in a building.
The SIM free are the Verizon models, since they have CDMA they have the Qualcomm chips, the GSM carriers get Intel chips, no CDMA and fewer Qualcomm Royalties due.
Old Nov 26, 2016, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
What's the current thinking on the smaller iPhone 7 versus the iPhone SE? I don't need a waterproof phone and I prefer a jack for the earbuds. And I don't really see the 3D touch as that important to me. So the question is basic horsepower and battery life. Is the 7 leaps and bounds better than the SE for that? Am I missing something?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.