Search

iPhone 7

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2016, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by WIRunner
There are two versions of the 7. There is a GSM only (A1660) one that is for AT&T and T-Mobile, this uses an Intel radio chipset. There is also a CDMA version (A1778) that has GSM and CDMA with a Qualcomm chipset, this one is not sold in Europe.

There are also two versions of the SE, both have CDMA and GSM abilities. The European version and the Sprint version (A1723) are the same, the North America version (A1662) has LTE bands that are more frequently used here.

So, no they're different.
OK, thanks. So even if I got the Sprint version of the SE, it would not have all the Euro LTE bands? I suppose if I'm going to use it mostly in Europe it's best to buy there.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 2:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by stimpy
OK, thanks. So even if I got the Sprint version of the SE, it would not have all the Euro LTE bands? I suppose if I'm going to use it mostly in Europe it's best to buy there.
I would steer clear of the GSM models with the Intel chip - I read that chipset is inferior and slower compared to the Qualcomm chip. If you buy the Verizon/Sprint model, it should have the Qualcomm chip and include pretty much every global LTE band.

I bought my IP7+ in Japan, and have no problem with LTE coverage in the US or Canada on ATT or Rogers.

Use this link to review the different bands supported by each global model
http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/
Old Dec 2, 2016, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If I'm buying an unlocked phone at an Apple Store, can I ask for a particular configuration like the Sprint version?
Old Dec 2, 2016, 3:50 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
If I'm buying an unlocked phone at an Apple Store, can I ask for a particular configuration like the Sprint version?
All phones sold at the Apple store are unlocked, so you should be able to order any model.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 4:16 pm

Programs: AA Platinum for Life (2MM), BR Gold, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by airsurfer
Set your browser TO desktop mode
How do you do this on an iPhone?
Old Dec 3, 2016, 3:58 am

Originally Posted by tai4de2
How do you do this on an iPhone?
Safari: press long on the reload button on the address bar on the right and you'll see 'show desktop version'.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 5:09 pm

Apple sells record 78.3M iPhones last quarter.

I'm guessing the bulk were iPhone 7s...no headphone jack clearly wasn't that big of a deal.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 8:26 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Troopers
Apple sells record 78.3M iPhones last quarter.

I'm guessing the bulk were iPhone 7s...no headphone jack clearly wasn't that big of a deal.
It helps when your next competitor has an exploding phone fiasco.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 2:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Troopers
My guess would be that they sold almost as much SE's as 7's. Because the jack is a big deal. But then again I'm one of the people who bought an SE primarily for that reason. Actually I'll break it down and guess that Apple sold more SE's than the smaller 7. But then I'm sure a lot more people bought the larger 7, especially thanks to the Samsung shenanigans.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 9:15 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Average selling price was just over $695 so probably more 7 and 7 Pluses.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wco81
Average selling price was just over $695 so probably more 7 and 7 Pluses.
iPhones in other countries generally cost a lot more than the US. So the average selling price might not be a good indicator. Also, if a huge percentage of sales is the plus size, then that will swing the average higher.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 10:29 am

iPhones in other countries generally cost a lot more than the US. So the average selling price might not be a good indicator. Also, if a huge percentage of sales is the plus size, then that will swing the average higher.
I would not say that in general - it can be a factor of currency movements after the retail price is set. I bought an IP7 and new MBPro15 in Japan and paid less than US retail, certainly much less with no US sales tax, and I bought an iPad in Canada that ended up about $80 less than US retail, but a few months later it was cheaper to buy a IPSE in the US and give it as a gift in Canada vs buying it in Canada.

The arbitrage game has been going on for a long time with Apple products.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by Vaucluse
It helps when your next competitor has an exploding phone fiasco.
No doubt...looking forward to Note 8.

My guess would be that they sold almost as much SE's as 7's. Because the jack is a big deal. But then again I'm one of the people who bought an SE primarily for that reason. Actually I'll break it down and guess that Apple sold more SE's than the smaller 7.
Unlikely; maybe as many 6s as 7s...SEs were available before the 7.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 10:43 am

Programs: UA 1MM *G (recovered GS), SPG Nothing, Hilton Nothing, AA Nothing
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by airsurfer
Safari: press long on the reload button on the address bar on the right and you'll see 'show desktop version'.
Didn't know that - great tip!

^^^
Old Oct 17, 2017, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Just to double-check myself...

If I buy an iPhone 7+ directly from Apple and choose the "SIM free" version, will there be any issue at all using it exclusively in Thailand?

Would use 12Call as the carrier, if that makes a difference.

Any disadvantage to buying it here in USA as opposed to buying in Thailand (where I am always concerned about counterfeit products)?

I am not much of a phone-techy guy, so appreciate any insights.

Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.