Wiki Posts
Search

iPhone 7

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2016, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by stimpy
What's the current thinking on the smaller iPhone 7 versus the iPhone SE? I don't need a waterproof phone and I prefer a jack for the earbuds. And I don't really see the 3D touch as that important to me. So the question is basic horsepower and battery life. Is the 7 leaps and bounds better than the SE for that? Am I missing something?
The SE and 7 get roughly the same battery life. Since the SE has a smaller screen to drive the battery life is better. The SE is basically a 6s jammed into the body of the 5/5s. The SE or the 6s would be decent options. The 7 wasn't a huge jump year over year compared to the previous generations. I've got an SE and have been very happy with it.
Old Nov 26, 2016, 8:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Better camera, better display, faster processors.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 1:24 am

FWIW, a few stores were giving $250 gift cards with purchase of an iPhone 7 on Black Friday which made it effectively the same price as the SE and cheaper than the 6S.

I got one from Target whose GC is as good as cash for us.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 6:49 am

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Becoming more and more upset as I think Apple downgraded or cheaped out somewhere. My iPhone 6+ or 6S+ never had any actual issues.

My iPhone7 has now gotten 'stuck' in messages twice. Had to force restart. It has locked up a few times requiring a force restart. There is some known GPS/location issue with PCS carriers. There was supposedly an update but it still happens randomly.

AND... as someone who loves to ride my motorcycle. The haptic button becomes more and more frustrating. Can't use the phone with gloves on. Stop at a light and need to change something or look at where the GPS is going next and can't do anything without removing a glove.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 4:36 pm
Suspended

What's the current thinking on the smaller iPhone 7 versus the iPhone SE? I don't need a waterproof phone and I prefer a jack for the earbuds. And I don't really see the 3D touch as that important to me. So the question is basic horsepower and battery life. Is the 7 leaps and bounds better than the SE for that? Am I missing something?
Well, I'm on the same boat as yours, I'm comparing 6s vs SE. It's $350 vs $550 difference on Tmobile right now. I'm wondering if the bigger screen + 128 vs 64 gb is worth $200
Old Nov 28, 2016, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Vaucluse
Well, I'm on the same boat as yours, I'm comparing 6s vs SE. It's $350 vs $550 difference on Tmobile right now. I'm wondering if the bigger screen + 128 vs 64 gb is worth $200
I bought my mom an SE. I could never go back to such a small screen.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 6:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by RichMSN
I bought my mom an SE. I could never go back to such a small screen.
I don't mind the smaller screen, however, I wish it didn't adopt the taller dimension and kept it the same as 4S instead.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Vaucluse
I don't mind the smaller screen, however, I wish it didn't adopt the taller dimension and kept it the same as 4S instead.
Wait, 4s as in the one released in 2011? The 5 series is basically the same design, but with a bigger screen. Dropping the smaller display size from support in iOS 10 was a big advantage for app designers. One less display size to worry about rendering.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 8:21 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by WIRunner
Wait, 4s as in the one released in 2011? The 5 series is basically the same design, but with a bigger screen. Dropping the smaller display size from support in iOS 10 was a big advantage for app designers. One less display size to worry about rendering.
Yep, the 5 series is the Ivey's failed attempt to reject a bigger display
Old Nov 29, 2016, 10:24 pm

Programs: United 2P, Westpac Altitude, Qantas
I have the 7plus and cant log in to Flyer Talk. The message reads, "There appears to be a connection issue between your device and Flyer Talk. Please try again"
Other applications work fine.

I purchased better wireless headphones and am not sure how I feel about them yet. I will carry the adaptor and my normal headphones for awhile. This was an upgrade from the 6 plus. Previous to that I had the 6. No way could I go back to a smaller screen. I haven't explored the camera features fully yet.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by ancienthills
I have the 7plus and cant log in to Flyer Talk. The message reads, "There appears to be a connection issue between your device and Flyer Talk. Please try again"
Other applications work fine.

I purchased better wireless headphones and am not sure how I feel about them yet. I will carry the adaptor and my normal headphones for awhile. This was an upgrade from the 6 plus. Previous to that I had the 6. No way could I go back to a smaller screen. I haven't explored the camera features fully yet.
Set your browser TO desktop mode.
Otherwise some sites (including FT) show crappy wap sites with limited functionalities.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 10:50 am

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
My wife got the smaller 7 a few weeks ago, and my daughter (26 yo) just got an SE a few days ago. My daughter says the SE battery life is far better than her old 5s, my wife got the Apple battery case so harder to tell with that one.

Note that the SE still comes standard with 16 gb, with just 5 gb of photos or music OS upgrades may not have enough room to download and install, so you'll probably want the 64 gb model for $100 more. The 7 comes standard with 32gb so that might be enough if you don't need to store much media, otherwise the next step is 132 for $100 more.

The SE uses the same cases and screen protectors as the 5s, so that can be handy for that particular upgrade path.

My daughter liked the 5s size and didn't want to go larger. My wife was originally looking at the SE too, she wasn't sure if she'd like the larger size but has grown to prefer it. At the time, with the trade in promotion (from 5s) the 7 was cheaper than the SE.

My daughter bought the SE on cyber monday special for $10/month, the 16 gb model was $5/month so in either case wait for a sale if you can.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 1:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by djk7
My wife got the smaller 7 a few weeks ago, and my daughter (26 yo) just got an SE a few days ago. My daughter says the SE battery life is far better than her old 5s, my wife got the Apple battery case so harder to tell with that one.

Note that the SE still comes standard with 16 gb, with just 5 gb of photos or music OS upgrades may not have enough room to download and install, so you'll probably want the 64 gb model for $100 more. The 7 comes standard with 32gb so that might be enough if you don't need to store much media, otherwise the next step is 132 for $100 more.

The SE uses the same cases and screen protectors as the 5s, so that can be handy for that particular upgrade path.

My daughter liked the 5s size and didn't want to go larger. My wife was originally looking at the SE too, she wasn't sure if she'd like the larger size but has grown to prefer it. At the time, with the trade in promotion (from 5s) the 7 was cheaper than the SE.

My daughter bought the SE on cyber monday special for $10/month, the 16 gb model was $5/month so in either case wait for a sale if you can.
On the 7, after the 32GB base model comes 128GB.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Just to be clear, the iPhone 7 or SE bought in the US is exactly the same hardware as one bought in Europe, right? They don't take away any frequencies or antennas to support old Verizon CDMA or anything?
Old Dec 2, 2016, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just to be clear, the iPhone 7 or SE bought in the US is exactly the same hardware as one bought in Europe, right? They don't take away any frequencies or antennas to support old Verizon CDMA or anything?
There are two versions of the 7. There is a GSM only (A1660) one that is for AT&T and T-Mobile, this uses an Intel radio chipset. There is also a CDMA version (A1778) that has GSM and CDMA with a Qualcomm chipset, this one is not sold in Europe.

There are also two versions of the SE, both have CDMA and GSM abilities. The European version and the Sprint version (A1723) are the same, the North America version (A1662) has LTE bands that are more frequently used here.

So, no they're different.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.