Community
Wiki Posts
Search

iPhone 7

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2016, 1:20 pm

I have switched from Apple to Android a few years back when Apple refused to produce a phablet. My wife has been a loyal Apple fan since iPhone 3G. She thought I was silly to need such a big screen back then. Now she has the iPhone 6 Plus and will never go back to the small screen. I have been upgrading her every 2 years to the latest iPhone (3G, 4, 5, 6 Plus). Yesterday she just told me DO NOT upgrade her to the iPhone 7 Plus. I asked her why.. she said it does not have a headphone jack. But you don't use headphones. I still like to have it so don't "downgrade" me. Okay you are the boss! I think I just saved $850! Thank you Apple!
Old Sep 9, 2016, 1:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Well all the other components are upgrades over the 6S Plus.

Maybe teach your wife not to be so gullible about Internet outrage over nothing.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
It was time to dump US Cellular (who I learned you should never have as a carrier if you travel outside Wisconsin), so this morning I went to Verizon.

Moved our 4 lines over. Pre-ordered 2 iPhone 7+ models. By 10AM CDT, there were models with NOVEMBER estimated delivery dates. By choosing the 256GB models, we only have to wait an extra week, although they cost an extra $100 each. The Jet Black would've been delivered sometime about Thanksgiving.

This was the first time since the original iPhone I waited 2 years to replace a phone. Still works fine, although battery charging has been a bit odd lately.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 1:27 pm

Curious to know what would be better between intel or Qualcomm equipped phones.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by wco81
Well all the other components are upgrades over the 6S Plus.

Maybe teach your wife not to be so gullible about Internet outrage over nothing.
You thinks she needs those upgrades? Tell her iPhone 7 Plus is awesome and spent $850 + tax on it or let her keep the completely over powered iPhone 6 Plus for her usage... hard choice hard choice....

I have 8 iPhones (5s, 6, 6 Plus, 6S Plus) on my 10 lines, and not a single owner wants to upgrade to iPhone 7.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Dodge DeBoulet
The fact that all of the major US carriers are giving them away to attract customers is a pretty solid indicator. Used to be you couldn't get an iPhone for less than $300-$400, well after the AT&T exclusive expired.

The specs are official, and they've been met with a resounding "meh." So I'm betting that most will simply wait until Apple realizes its mistake and comes back with something that isn't so, uh, "courageous."
No money down in exchange for your old phone. They're not offering the iPhone without anything in return.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 1:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Yeah I just chatted with T Mobile.

They said $120 to upgrade from my 6S Plus to 7 Plus. $220 if I want to upgrade to the 128 GB SKU.

Oh and I have to pay off the remaining amount on my 6S Plus too.

End up being more expensive than buying it directly unlocked from Apple.

Gonna try a store, because that deal is ridiculous.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by Need
I have switched from Apple to Android a few years back when Apple refused to produce a phablet. My wife has been a loyal Apple fan since iPhone 3G. She thought I was silly to need such a big screen back then. Now she has the iPhone 6 Plus and will never go back to the small screen. I have been upgrading her every 2 years to the latest iPhone (3G, 4, 5, 6 Plus). Yesterday she just told me DO NOT upgrade her to the iPhone 7 Plus. I asked her why.. she said it does not have a headphone jack. But you don't use headphones. I still like to have it so don't "downgrade" me. Okay you are the boss! I think I just saved $850! Thank you Apple!
When she changes her mind, you can still save a lot of money with The Apple Plug. Instant iPhone 7 upgrade for iPhone 6 owners!
Old Sep 9, 2016, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by tmiw
No money down in exchange for your old phone. They're not offering the iPhone without anything in return.
Verizon is giving pretty good money for old phones, but they have to work with intact screens, etc.

We got something like $200 for a 5s just to upgrade to a 6s (for my daughter, who wanted a Rose Gold 6s over a 7).
Old Sep 9, 2016, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by maortega15
Curious to know what would be better between intel or Qualcomm equipped phones.
Qualcomm. The intel chip phones lack CDMA radios. If you ever decide to change carriers to Verizon or Sprint you'll need a new phone. The Qualcomm ones will likely have a slightly higher resale value because of this.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by WIRunner
Qualcomm. The intel chip phones lack CDMA radios. If you ever decide to change carriers to Verizon or Sprint you'll need a new phone. The Qualcomm ones will likely have a slightly higher resale value because of this.
Great! I guess that means I'm safe!

Which begs the question, when is CDMA expected to be killed off in favor of newer technology such as LTE?
Old Sep 9, 2016, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Great! I guess that means I'm safe!

Which begs the question, when is CDMA expected to be killed off in favor of newer technology such as LTE?
Couple of years. If you're on one of the big four carriers, you'll probably be using VoLTE often anyway.

GSM only devices aren't the worst thing. They've been around for years anyway. If you're looking at resale thats the only time I'd even be worried. If you hang onto the phone for a few years no worries.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by WIRunner
Couple of years. If you're on one of the big four carriers, you'll probably be using VoLTE often anyway.

GSM only devices aren't the worst thing. They've been around for years anyway. If you're looking at resale thats the only time I'd even be worried. If you hang onto the phone for a few years no worries.
Looks like it'll be killed off by 2021 at the latest.

But doesn't CDMA take up space in the phone? Maybe they can use the space inside the phone for much faster LTE? And wouldn't it be much more efficient to manufacturer one type of phone for all networks instead of 2 types for 2 different networks?
Old Sep 9, 2016, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is an interesting take by Engadget.

The iPhone 7 is the walled-off computer Apple has always wanted

Looks like it'll be killed off by 2021 at the latest.

But doesn't CDMA take up space in the phone? Maybe they can use the space inside the phone for much faster LTE? And wouldn't it be much more efficient to manufacturer one type of phone for all networks instead of 2 types for 2 different networks?
The SoC is probably the same size. The antenna is going to be there regardless.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 9:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, lowly UA 1K; Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold; National EC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by dinanm3atl
The AirPods are not "Bluetooth".
Yes, they are, Apple confirmed this. They can be used with non-Apple Bluetooth devices and there is a pairing button on the case. They just have the proximity pairing function on Apple devices.

Originally Posted by Dodge DeBoulet
The fact that all of the major US carriers are giving them away to attract customers is a pretty solid indicator. Used to be you couldn't get an iPhone for less than $300-$400, well after the AT&T exclusive expired.

The specs are official, and they've been met with a resounding "meh." So I'm betting that most will simply wait until Apple realizes its mistake and comes back with something that isn't so, uh, "courageous."
This is not quite an apples to apples comparison (no pun intended). The the revenue models for phone companies have changed in recent years from subsidies to buying the phones at "full price", usually through an effective 0% interest 24-month loan as most people would prefer not to shell out $650 up front vs $25-30 a month.

The current "free" deal for each of these carries involves trading in your existing iPhone 6 or 6s which has a value of about 200-400 dollars. The "free" deal also locks you into a 24-month contract. If you leave before 24 months or you want to upgrade next year, you must pay off the remaining unamortized cost of the phone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.