Wiki Posts
Search

iPhone 7

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2016, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Need
In a few years, they will also get rid of the lightning port. The only way to charge your iPhone is thru Apple certified wireless charger. The only way to connect your headphones is thru iTooth wireless connection built into every Apple certified iTooth headphones.
They can't realistically do that until the vast majority of their customers no longer have capped Internet connections, or even ones with decent enough speeds for that matter. At least in the US connections with upload speeds more than a couple megabits/sec are pretty uncommon.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 9:32 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Need
In a few years, they will also get rid of the lightning port. The only way to charge your iPhone is thru Apple certified wireless charger. The only way to connect your headphones is thru iTooth wireless connection built into every Apple certified iTooth headphones.
A few years after that, they'll just start selling implants that hook up directly into your brain. It'll be called iMind.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 10:07 am

Looks like demand for the 7 is less. There is availability to reserve online a 7 jet black 128gb at the local store (technically I was unable to because I have a business account).
Old Sep 9, 2016, 11:04 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by tmiw
I mentioned elsewhere (possibly not on FT) that it probably would have gone over better had Apple decided to go USB-C instead of Lightning. At least there'd be a bigger base of third-party accessories/cables that'd make the lack of a headphone jack less of an issue.
Only problem with that is that the USB-C plug is much larger than the Lightning plug.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by Troopers
Wired headphones remains optional on the 7. Why is more cables good?
They're cables attached to headphones I already own. And I have the option to use them without farting around with adapters.

I use Bluetooth for my headphones, in the car and on my home receiver. Far much easier cordless. Use a cord to connect to those devices if you prefer.
I use Bluetooth in my car. I don't have Bluetooth in my truck, but still prefer the content on my phone to what's on the radio or in the CD changer. And when I travel, I'm not guaranteed to have Bluetooth in my rental car (although it's slowly becoming more pervasive).

Agree, wireless charging is needed on the 7.
Of course, Apple will introduce and promote some proprietary system that will work with Apple approved/licensed charging devices only.

One should definitely use the smartphone best suited for him/herself.
Absolutely. A far superior display, demonstrably superior electronic payment options, expandable storage, and multiple industry-standard charging mechanisms certainly make the Samsung N7 best suited for me
Old Sep 9, 2016, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by Dodge DeBoulet
They're cables attached to headphones I already own. And I have the option to use them without farting around with adapters.
I hear ya. Lose your headphones or they break..and problem solved

I use Bluetooth in my car. I don't have Bluetooth in my truck, but still prefer the content on my phone to what's on the radio or in the CD changer. And when I travel, I'm not guaranteed to have Bluetooth in my rental car (although it's slowly becoming more pervasive).
I'm guessing you use bluetooth in the car because it's more convenient to go cordless. And if you could, you would in your truck. That's what I'm driving at...it's more convenient, it's a good thing. And I'm pretty sure new headphones and cars will have bluetooth as std features.

Of course, Apple will introduce and promote some proprietary system that will work with Apple approved/licensed charging devices only.
You bet!

Absolutely. A far superior display, demonstrably superior electronic payment options, expandable storage, and multiple industry-standard charging mechanisms certainly make the Samsung N7 best suited for me
No need to convince my why you prefer that N7. I'm sure Samsung will follow suit and go without headphone jack.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by wco81
Only problem with that is that the USB-C plug is much larger than the Lightning plug.
Yes, the USB-C connector is HYUUUUUGE. Believe me.
Attached Images  
Old Sep 9, 2016, 12:34 pm

I hear ya. Lose your headphones or they break..and problem solved
Get a phone with a headphone jack and bluetooth and you don't have a problem to solve.

I'm guessing you use bluetooth in the car because it's more convenient to go cordless. And if you could, you would in your truck. That's what I'm driving at...it's more convenient, it's a good thing. And I'm pretty sure new headphones and cars will have bluetooth as std features.
And of course I'll run out and replace my truck and 3 A/V receivers just as soon as that's a reality. The convenience will certainly outweigh the tens of thousands of dollars it will cost me ...

No need to convince my why you prefer that N7.
Kicking yourself over that Apple investment already? You still have time to return/cancel it

I'm sure Samsung will follow suit and go without headphone jack.
Given the lukewarm reception the iPhone 7 is receiving, I wouldn't be so sure of that ...
Old Sep 9, 2016, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
No need to convince my why you prefer that N7. I'm sure Samsung will follow suit and go without headphone jack.
I could really see Samsung doubling down and promoting the fact that their phones have a headphone jack.

I get that you are all aboard with the removal of it. For many people such a simple thing is really a fairly big deal. A true audiophile is going to want optical ports anyway.

The death of the floppy drive and optical drive weren't surprising. They both had limits, and flash memory prices are dropping as well. Plenty of people have become accustomed to the fact that the Macbook only has one port, but plenty of people have probably opted for something else.

Some people, like you, won't care or mind that it is gone. Others, like me, will just wait for the upgrade instead of doing the yearly one, or explore other options. There's other phones, and Apple is certainly gambling with this one.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
So how are we defining "lukewarm" reception? Last I heard shipping dates for some models slipped to a minimum of 2-3 weeks (with the jet black model slipping to November), so some people are apparently still buying them.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There's a new sign that Apple expects iPhone 7 sales to be disappointing

"Usually, after Apple releases a new iPhone, it puts out a breathless press release about how many people preordered it on the first weekend.

For example, last year:

"Sales for iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus have been phenomenal, blowing past any previous first weekend sales results in Apple’s history,” said Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO.

And 2014:

Apple today announced a record number of first day pre-orders of iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus, the biggest advancements in iPhone history, with over four million in the first 24 hours.

This year, Apple won't be announcing pre-release numbers, possibly a sign that it expects iPhone sales to be muted. Apple says it won't release the numbers because the preorder statistics will be dictated by supply, not demand.

Analysts expect iPhone sales to be roughly flat through the end of the year."
Old Sep 9, 2016, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
So how are we defining "lukewarm" reception? Last I heard shipping dates for some models slipped to a minimum of 2-3 weeks (with the jet black model slipping to November), so some people are apparently still buying them.
I wonder how much of that is manipulation on Apple's part since they're not releasing numbers this year.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 1:12 pm

The fact that all of the major US carriers are giving them away to attract customers is a pretty solid indicator. Used to be you couldn't get an iPhone for less than $300-$400, well after the AT&T exclusive expired.

The specs are official, and they've been met with a resounding "meh." So I'm betting that most will simply wait until Apple realizes its mistake and comes back with something that isn't so, uh, "courageous."
Old Sep 9, 2016, 1:12 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Dodge DeBoulet
Yes, the USB-C connector is HYUUUUUGE. Believe me.
I like this comparison:

http://josh-ua.co/blog/2015/3/15/usb...and-usb-type-a

the USB-C port is about the same height as the headphone jack, meaning little would be gained by switching to a USB-C only solution.

Of course, we don't know how much space inside the port a USB-C would require vs. a Lighting port.

Like the diagrams showed, the headphone jack took up some volume inside the phone.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 1:19 pm
Suspended

Some iPhone 7 models are going to use Intel modems:

The Intel baseband modem chips are a replacement for those sold by Qualcomm Inc., a longtime Apple supplier which is expected to supply wireless chips for the remainder of the iPhone 7 handsets. Some analysts believe that Intel could wind up supplying chips for as much as half the handsets Apple is likely to sell.
Kind of wary about that, the nice thing about iPhones (and iPads) for travelers is that it supported all the LTE bands of major carriers around the world in one SKU.

I have an upcoming trip to Australia and bands 28 and 40 are used there, as well as 1, 3 and 5.

All the iPhone 7 models appear to support the same number of LTE bands. Main difference is the Intel models won't support CDMA. However, I'd be wary about having a model with Intel modems for the first time on iOS. Never know if the drivers are as mature or if Intel modems would be as reliable as the Qualcom ones on iOS for the first time.

http://www.apple.com/iphone-7/specs/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.