Reload this Page >

Bangkok Hotels — General Advice and Discussion [consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bangkok Hotels — General Advice and Discussion [consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2013, 7:27 pm

Love the SGS, but I'm Gold not Plat. Though it's a little more than I like to spend, I've gotten the Sofitel for 4000B a couple X & w/the free Accor Plat out there, I was upgraded to a suite & had Club Floor access. Hard to beat the whole package for the $$. The hookers on Sukhumvit are quite obsequious (except the ladyboys) and I can't say I've ever been accosted by a cab driver. It's the Indian tailors I'd like to b*tch slap. The worst thing about the location is the tented schlock mongers who cover the sidewalk & the knuckleheads who block things & buy their crap. D you should get yourself an Accor Plat & check this place out.
Old Nov 16, 2013, 9:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, UA, AS, DL, BA, F9, IHG Plat, HH Gold, CC Gold, SPG Gold, MR Silver
I actually prefer the Sukhumvit area...the Four Points on soi 15 and Aloft on soi 11 are not a bad choices at only 3-4000 SPG points a night. Not exactly luxurious, but very nice hotels and I like the location. Will be back in 2 weeks, but only there for 1 night. If staying longer I would probably go back to the Radisson Suites, as they always upgrade me to a huge 1 bedroom suite and 2 nights for 28,000 CC points cannot be beat.
Old Nov 27, 2013, 5:46 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Hey all,

Great thread - looking for some ideas. I am a loyal Starwood member, but just hit 100 nights. As of 12/15 - there is no SPG promo happening, so I'm thinking why not try out some other nice properties in Bangkok since SPG offers me nothing extra for my stays from here out.

Here are my thoughts:
I'm definitely going to try the Sofitel Sukhumvit for 5 nights. I'm an Accor Plat - and hear they treat Plats right at this locale.

However, for the other 5 nights - I've got no status (except IHG Gold). I like upgrades - but imagine I won't get a suite at any alternate hotel I choose. So I guess it's down to the hard product (pool, gym, location, base room). I'd never pay for breakfast so unless it's included it'll be meaningless to me. Options are:

1- Intercontinental Sukhumvit
2- JW Marriott Sukhumvit
3- Crowne Plaza Lumphini
4- Grande CentrePoints T21 (I know absolutely nothing about this chain or property). But as a frequent guest of SGS I see it from my view - tennis courts and pool look nice).
5- Sofitel So (I'd get status benefits here - but location seems too far from the BTS). Has anyone stayed here? Is it worth the walk?
6- Grand Hyatt Erawan and Four Seasons would be wonderful, but don't want to pay more than 5,000 THB - 5,500 THB per night + tax. Can't imagine I can swing these properties for that price.
7- Are any of the Amari hotels nice (the one in Phuket was very good).

Does anyone have any thoughts - or other ideas? Ranking?
Old Nov 27, 2013, 8:17 am

I've stayed at the Amari Watergate. Didn't like it.
My favourite is the FS which sometimes can be had through third party sites for what you are willing to pay. Usually just during off season though.
I also quite liked the JW but I haven't stayed there in 6+ years.
Why not try the Anantara Riverside? I used to stay there when it was still Marriott and always enjoyed the resort-like feeling of the place.
Old Nov 27, 2013, 9:36 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by cathaana
I've stayed at the Amari Watergate. Didn't like it.
My favourite is the FS which sometimes can be had through third party sites for what you are willing to pay. Usually just during off season though.
I also quite liked the JW but I haven't stayed there in 6+ years.
Why not try the Anantara Riverside? I used to stay there when it was still Marriott and always enjoyed the resort-like feeling of the place.
Thanks for the input. I don't want to be by the riverside. I like to be near a BTS station if possible. A 10 min walk at most.
Old Nov 27, 2013, 10:37 am

Then I would probably do the IC, the JW, or the Sheraton Grande. Or the VIE for another Accor hotel.
Old Nov 29, 2013, 10:14 am

Programs: IC: Diamond Amb
IC is quite nice. I'm there again on the 7th of Dec.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 5:40 am

Looking for some hotel location advice

Long time listener first time caller!

I will be traveling to Bangkok next Monday for the first time. I'll be there for about 3.5 days. FWIW, I'll be traveling by myself (male, 28). I figured I would spend my days wandering around. I'm looking into possibly going on a day trip to Ayutthaya (using public transportation). Not sure if that's a good idea considering my limited time or if I'm better off arranging a tour.

Anyways, my problem is that I really want to get a custom made suit. I've email Rajas Fashion, Empire Tailors, and Tailor on Ten to give them a heads up about my schedule and all seem to say it's doable. I haven't booked a hotel yet and I'm looking for some advice. My plan was to stay near Khao San road, so I'm close to the old city and can walk around alot and maybe go out at night time by myself. But if there's a requirement to make many trips to a tailor I'm wondering if I'm better off staying near a skytrain station. What are your thoughts on this? I don't want to end up sending half my trip commuting especially since there are no BTS stations near the area I was looking to stay.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 9:09 am

I personally like to stay near MBK/Central World/Siam Paragon area. True, there is a lot of traffic in that area, but the ease of using the BTS (skytrain) in that area is invaluable. Plus, the two lines cross there at Siam, so that will be handy too.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 6:23 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by alanid2000
I've email Rajas Fashion, Empire Tailors, and Tailor on Ten to give them a heads up about my schedule and all seem to say it's doable.

But if there's a requirement to make many trips to a tailor I'm wondering if I'm better off staying near a skytrain station.
I've seen two Rajas - I used the one on Sukhumvit, and have received many compliments on my suit.

But IIRC only made an initial fitting and one additional a day later, and picked up my suit on day three.

Oh, and I always stay near a BTS station. Oh two, as someone who loves to walk, due to heat and humidity I just don't walk all that much in Bangkok
Old Dec 13, 2013, 2:24 am

Thanks for the advice! Any hotels you personally recommend? I was looking at both the Park Plazas (i think there are two of them near Sukumvit) and they are in the ~70$/night range. Not sure if that is typical for the area. There's also the Courtyard Marriott which is in an option since I usually stay at Marriotts when I travel for work.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 7:52 am

Programs: AA, UA, US, DL, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Club C. Gold, Marriott Silver
Thanks for the advice! Any hotels you personally recommend? I was looking at both the Park Plazas (i think there are two of them near Sukumvit) and they are in the ~70$/night range. Not sure if that is typical for the area. There's also the Courtyard Marriott which is in an option since I usually stay at Marriotts when I travel for work.
I stayed at both Park Plazas in mid. November. I used points and was upgraded to a very large room at the Park Plaza Sukhumvit near Asoke. Both Park plazas are very nice; my preference was the Park Plaza Sukhumvit (a little more upscale). The Park Plaza on Sukhumvit is very close to the BTS and the Park Plaza Soi. 18 is about a block or two further, but it's on a nice, quiet street. I believe the Park Plaza Suk. is pricier.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 10:31 am

I usually stay at the Courtyard Marriott when in Bangkok. It is definitely one of the nicer courtyards you will ever stay at. It's a little further down one of the side streets, but it is very walkable to the BTS and they also offer a free tuk-tuk to the BTS station too. I'd definitely recommend this hotel.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 12:51 am

Originally Posted by nsmn4945
I usually stay at the Courtyard Marriott when in Bangkok. It is definitely one of the nicer courtyards you will ever stay at. It's a little further down one of the side streets, but it is very walkable to the BTS and they also offer a free tuk-tuk to the BTS station too. I'd definitely recommend this hotel.
Thanks for the advice! I had just enough Marriott points to cover the trip so I went ahead and booked a room at the Courtyard. Can't wait to get to BKK!
Old Dec 15, 2013, 2:58 am

One more question. Given that I have three and a half days in Bangkok, do you think spending the better part of a day in Ayutthaya is worth it? I feel like I might be trying to do too much in too short of a time. After getting fitted for a suit, visiting the palace/temples and going shopping in Siam square, I figured I'd spend the day outside of the madness of Bangkok.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.