Reload this Page >

Bangkok Hotels — General Advice and Discussion [consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bangkok Hotels — General Advice and Discussion [consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2015, 9:15 pm

45 mins taxi line at BKK ? That's crazy ! I don't think I've ever waited > 10 mins. At DMK huge queues aren't unusual at all, so I'm up to Departures more often than not. I've still yet to pay > meter from the official queue or upstairs. I get out & try again. I have had to scream at Somchai Schumacher a couple times on the Tollway until he got it into his yabba addled brain that I wasn't going to put up with his suicidal driving though.

Last edited by whackyjacky; Apr 23, 2015 at 9:23 pm
Old Apr 24, 2015, 12:39 pm

AGODA.com prices and 50% plus off which price ?

I keep getting google ads for AGODA offering Bangkok hotels at 40-50-60% off ,

But off which price ? Is it a price anyone ever pays ? "List Price"

Which of the on-line Hotel Bookers has the best prices including all the extra fees ?
or is there another site that compares prices for the same hotel on many booking sites ?

Thanks for the info
Old Apr 24, 2015, 8:24 pm

I go to BKK all the time. I look at Hotelscombined (which includes Agoda), Cheap Tickets (they've always got a 20% off code), & Travelocity (when they have one). More often than not, Agoda & Booking.com are the cheapest. If Hotels.com is close, I book w/them because they do 1 free on 10.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 10:26 pm

Programs: Air Canada-Aeroplan, NEXUS, E50K, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite
Banyan Tree vs Conrad

Just wondering what people think of the two. The pool looks better at the Conrad but the Banyan tree bar looks unreal. What about the rooms?

I'm a young person meeting friends there but I do plan on bumming an afternoon at a pool.

Thanks!
Old Apr 25, 2015, 12:04 pm

Programs: Lufthansa FTL, HHonors Gold, Le Club Accorhotels Platinum
Originally Posted by canadianhockey91
Just wondering what people think of the two. The pool looks better at the Conrad but the Banyan tree bar looks unreal. What about the rooms?
Imho both hotels are old and outworn, so many better options in Krung Thep right now. You pay for the name and the reputation.

FWIW rooms at Conrad were definately better than at Banyan Tree (just my personal preference)
Old Apr 25, 2015, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
I would not consider Conrad "old and worn out" Yes, the hotel is not new but the rooms are still good and the service is superb. The pool area and pool is huge; top notch if you ask me. If you are HH Gold or Diamond, you will get lounge access at Conrad. This lounge is really great.

I have never been at Banyan Tree so I can not compare.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 11:49 pm

Originally Posted by olisch
Imho both hotels are old and outworn, so many better options in Krung Thep right now. You pay for the name and the reputation.

FWIW rooms at Conrad were definately better than at Banyan Tree (just my personal preference)
What would you recommend?
Old Apr 26, 2015, 9:11 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by olisch
+1 many more newer and better options and location. The Royal Meridien Plaza Athenee is closer to the BTS and better selection than the Conrad, IMO.
What would you recommend?
It all depends on what you like to do, where to be, and how much is your accommodation budget. For a first time visitor to Bangkok or for the romantic trip, I'd recommend the river area. Properties such as Mandarin Oriental, the Peninsula, Shangri LA, Royal Orchid Sheraton, and Millennium Hilton are on the northern side of Saphan Taksin bridge (where BTS station is located). While Anantara and Chatrium are to the South. BTS is Bangkok's elevated monorail system, or skytrain.

For 20-something who is interested in night life: Asok, Silom, and lower Sukhumvit area (1 to 19) - and even Khaosan Road for backpackers. Dunno how many 20-something can afford the rates at the JW Marriott or the Sofitel Sukhumvit, but they are there at lower Sukhumvit. So is the 4 Points, Aloft, and many budget Accor properties.

Luxurious accommodations are around Ratchprasong intersection, such as the Anantara (former 4S), Intercontinental, Grand Hyatt Erawan, and to certain extent the Renaissance. Sofitel So and Sukhothai are near the Banyan Tree but closer to the MRT (underground metro or subway).

Megamalls for shopping are now everywhere from T-21 at Asok (where Luxury Collection SGS & Westin are located), to EmQuartier at Phrom Phong, Central Embassy at Chitlom, and Ekkami Gateway where the Marriott Sukhumvit is one stop away. All around the BTS stations.

My current personal preference is the Marriott Sukhumvit 57 due to its proximity to Thong Lo BTS station, great value provided, new & clean, venues from the 40th floor lounge to the rooftop restaurants and bars, and it is across the street from Sukhumvit 38 night food stalls market.

The good news, this is Bangkok and there is something for every traveler.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by Kalboz
+1 many more newer and better options and location. The Royal Meridien Plaza Athenee is closer to the BTS and better selection than the Conrad, IMO.

It all depends on what you like to do, where to be, and how much is your accommodation budget. For a first time visitor to Bangkok or for the romantic trip, I'd recommend the river area. Properties such as Mandarin Oriental, the Peninsula, Shangri LA, Royal Orchid Sheraton, and Millennium Hilton are on the northern side of Saphan Taksin bridge (where BTS station is located). While Anantara and Chatrium are to the South. BTS is Bangkok's elevated monorail system, or skytrain.

For 20-something who is interested in night life: Asok, Silom, and lower Sukhumvit area (1 to 19) - and even Khaosan Road for backpackers. Dunno how many 20-something can afford the rates at the JW Marriott or the Sofitel Sukhumvit, but they are there at lower Sukhumvit. So is the 4 Points, Aloft, and many budget Accor properties.

Luxurious accommodations are around Ratchprasong intersection, such as the Anantara (former 4S), Intercontinental, Grand Hyatt Erawan, and to certain extent the Renaissance. Sofitel So and Sukhothai are near the Banyan Tree but closer to the MRT (underground metro or subway).

Megamalls for shopping are now everywhere from T-21 at Asok (where Luxury Collection SGS & Westin are located), to EmQuartier at Phrom Phong, Central Embassy at Chitlom, and Ekkami Gateway where the Marriott Sukhumvit is one stop away. All around the BTS stations.

My current personal preference is the Marriott Sukhumvit 57 due to its proximity to Thong Lo BTS station, great value provided, new & clean, venues from the 40th floor lounge to the rooftop restaurants and bars, and it is across the street from Sukhumvit 38 night food stalls market.

Thanks for the advice!
Old Apr 26, 2015, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
I'd look outside the major US chains consisting of the usual suspects (SPG, Hilton, Marriott, IHG, Hyatt) if you want to maximize value for spend, unless you're just attached to a brand for loyalty reasons (and spend's somewhat irrelevant). As mentioned, you're paying for the brand name, not necessarily for the service level you'll get in comparison to local chains or local hotels.

The European chains (Club Carlson and Accor) tend to have pricing that's more in line with the very competitive Bangkok market (where a solid 3 stars for $50 USD isn't unreasonable, and some pretty swank hotels can be had at < $100 USD a night).

Using tools like Kayak and TripAdvisor in the area you wish to stay to find some possible candidates has worked out for me.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by Kalboz

Sorry one last question. What is the difference between the Marriott Sukhumvit and the Marriott executive apartments. They are at the same location and look to have the same amenities. Is that correct? Just wondering cuz the price difference is quite a bit...with the apartments being cheaper.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 10:48 am

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Sorry one last question. What is the difference between the Marriott Sukhumvit and the Marriott executive apartments. They are at the same location and look to have the same amenities. Is that correct? Just wondering cuz the price difference is quite a bit...with the apartments being cheaper.
The apartments are located on floor 14 to 21 while the hotel is located on floors 22 to 41. Both share the same lobby and front desk. Hotel executive lounge is on the 40th floor with spectacular views of Bangkok, while the Apartments' executive lounge is located on the 2nd floor. Staying at the FS you will earn for every night while you will get one night credit for every 3 nights at the apartments.

Last edited by Kalboz; Apr 26, 2015 at 10:54 am
Old Apr 26, 2015, 11:04 am

Just wondering cuz the price difference is quite a bit...with the apartments being cheaper.
I just searched for the last 3-day weekend of May and it shows the apartments for THB 3700++ per night, while the FS hotel is going for THB 3500++ per night ... so I guess as in everything else in the travel industry, it all depends of demand & inventory.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 5:28 pm

Okura Prestige

I have been researching BKK Hotels. Do you guys know what's happening with Okura rates? They're usually around USD180 a night, but since I started looking yesteday for June/July/October, their rates have gone up to around USD370 a night! Kayak.com shows some sub USD200 on LHW, but all other agencies show over USD300 a night.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 8:11 pm

Love the Marriott 57 and Thonglor in general, but I have a new go-to - the new Radisson Blu on Suk 27 which is even more luxurious IMO and can be had for 3000B (ai) w/out looking too hard.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.