Bangkok Hotels — General Advice and Discussion [consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bangkok Hotels — General Advice and Discussion [consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2014, 1:43 am

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Yeah, pretty much. Burning points for the 4P kinda makes sense, though that's, what, 3000 SPG for a weekend room night, so $1500 in SPG spend at base level, $1000 if you are Gold/Plat? A 10% rebate doesn't sound much better than hotels.com, which doesn't limit you to a 4P/Aloft...

This sort of reinforces my point that the Western chains are largely overpriced, except for various exceptions/discounts (like the 2500 THB Marriott/Latestays.com "Mystery hotel" sale or Accor's 40% off sales).

(I am noticing that the Sukhumvit Grand by Accor on Soi 6 is $150ish for 2 days for a 1BR suite prepaid on my dates. This may turn out to be the winner to go along with Accor Platinum...)
I don't think that place is worth > 1800 (ai) and if you're Plat, let them upgrade you. Don't pay for a suite when there's a good chance they'll give it to you. As I remember the regular rooms are big and have a living room and a bedroom w/a sliding door. Not at all bad, if you get stuck in one. IIWY, I'd rather be at the Vie. It's newer, cooler, and in a better hood.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by whackyjacky
I don't think that place is worth > 1800 (ai) and if you're Plat, let them upgrade you. Don't pay for a suite when there's a good chance they'll give it to you. As I remember the regular rooms are big and have a living room and a bedroom w/a sliding door. Not at all bad, if you get stuck in one. IIWY, I'd rather be at the Vie. It's newer, cooler, and in a better hood.
Good points. My plan is to do Club des Actionnaires and get Platinum so long as I hold the stock. ACRFY is trading just under $10, so an investment of less than $500 should work.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
I went ahead and pulled the trigger on VIE. Saves some cash which I am spending for a couple of days here when I'm in Chiang Mai...
Old Apr 16, 2014, 11:06 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Originally Posted by pantanal
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
THIS ^

yes....just moved up from category 5 to 6 today
Too bad - I used a category 1-5 cert there 3 weeks ago. The lounge is fantastic and I would highly recommend this hotel if lounge access is included.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 12:43 pm

Question Book Accomodations In Advance?

I'm heading to Thailand in January/February 2015 (high season as I understand it) for a little over 2 weeks. Planning to make stops in Ko Samui, Koh Phangan, Bangkok, and Chiang Mai.

I have the flights in and out of Thailand booked but was considering holding off on booking flights and accomodations until we are there. This would give us flexibility to stay in certain places longer or shorter time, or modify the trip as we see fit. Since we haven't been there, we aren't sure what we're going to like or not like.

We'd want our own private room (with AC preferably) but other than that we're willing to rough it a bit. For example, we're not oppposed to staying in "beach hut" type accomodations.

Is it realistic to do this or will all the good accomodations be booked and flight prices be extremely high? I'm trying to weigh the pros and cons of booking in advance versus remaining flexible.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 1:24 pm

Programs: SQ *gold / Starwood
At that time of year, in those locations, and given that you seem somewhat flexible in terms of your accommodations,I think it's fine to wait. Bangkok and Chiang Mai are large cities with many many hotels. Jan/Feb will be busy but it's not really high season for Ko Samui.
One thing you may want to do in advance is book your flights to/from Ko Samui because airlines and flight choices are limited (and pricey).
Old Aug 5, 2014, 2:43 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, DL FO, DL MM, Marriott Gold, Hyatt platinum
I'd book at least your first night or two (presumably in Bangkok). If you're taking a long-haul flight to get to Thailand, you won't want to be hunting for a room after you arrive.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 11:08 pm

Why not book ? When you're going, it's not 'High Season' it's 'High High Season'.You can do a lot of research and keep looking every week for good deals. If you get a better one or change your itinerary, you can cancel 24 hrs before hand. Try Hotelscombined, they compare prices from many sites.
Old Aug 8, 2014, 6:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVP Gold, TK *Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond
In a similar situation. SPG Plt/Marriott Plt/Hyatt Diamond. I have stayed at the St Regis in the past. Leaning towards trying the SGS time time. Looking to do mostly touristy stuff. Any votes for JW or a Hyatt property?

Thanks,
Old Aug 8, 2014, 7:37 pm

Nothing wrong with the SGS. I love the place. However, I've been pretty impressed with the Marriott 57 and got it really cheap. Next to Thonglor BTS Station in BKK's hippest neighborhood.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by whackyjacky
Nothing wrong with the SGS. I love the place. However, I've been pretty impressed with the Marriott 57 and got it really cheap. Next to Thonglor BTS Station in BKK's hippest neighborhood.
The Marriott on Suk 57 is new and I've heard good things about it. Never stayed there. Only attended meetings.

SGS is good, but I still prefer JWM Suk 3.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 3:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: SQ TPPS, EK Gold, IHG RA, Marriott Gold Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold, UA Premier Gold, TG Silver
The JW and the GH are both central, close to the Skytrain and are nice hotels.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 11:49 pm

BKK - Best Marriott for Gold member stay?

I have a trip upcoming in October. I am a Marriott Gold, had a recent stay at the Marriott Sukhumvit, and with lounge access I was thoroughly pleased.. but it seems like in general Renaissance & JW should be higher status... so my question is, as a Gold Member, assuming cost is not an issue (I'm checking some corporate rates and they're all pretty close to each other). Which hotel is better to stay at the JW or the Renaissance? I'm most interested in the room quality, and lounge quality.

As an aside -- going through my corporate rates, I can get the Four Seasons/Okura Prestige/Conrad Hilton/Millenium Hilton/Shangri La/Grand Hyatt/Westin Grand all at comparable rates to the Marriott's... but I have 0 status with them. Are these hotels so amazing, I should stay for the experience, even though I won't be getting any elite benefits, nor earning points to anything that would be useful for me?
Old Aug 16, 2014, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by uclagee
I have a trip upcoming in October. I am a Marriott Gold, had a recent stay at the Marriott Sukhumvit, and with lounge access I was thoroughly pleased.. but it seems like in general Renaissance & JW should be higher status... so my question is, as a Gold Member, assuming cost is not an issue (I'm checking some corporate rates and they're all pretty close to each other). Which hotel is better to stay at the JW or the Renaissance? I'm most interested in the room quality, and lounge quality.
You'll be satisfied with either one. For me the deciding factor would be the neighborhood. Renaissance is in the center of a lot of shopping and a lot of hotels. And right on the BTS (Chitlom). But it's also crowded and noisy. JWM is less than a 5 minute walk to BTS (Ploenchit). Less crowded area. Less shopping. Seedy bar area in the neighborhood leads to some issues late at night if you're out walking around.

As an aside, I stay at JWM simply out of habit. I started staying there long before Renaissance was built.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 10:13 am

Heading there this Nov for 4 nights. I've been really undecided about hotel arrangements. Blew a lot of my Hhonors on 4 nights at Conrad Koh Samui. What are the chances of the luxury hotels reacting with decent sales for early Nov? We're on holiday for a solid month so I need to budget - prefer not to pay in excess of $175 USD. When do Accor sales usually occur for BKK properties since I just started following them recently and I don't have any history on those types of properties. FYI, I don't have any status on any chains other than Hilton Gold.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.