Wiki Posts
Search

Bangkok Hotels — General Advice and Discussion [consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2014, 7:22 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by whackyjacky
Vie is very stylish as is Muse.
I was thinking about The Muse, and also Hansar, but had the sense that their pool areas may be too low key for OP... of course, I've only had a look-see when there for drinks and meals or whatnot, never actually stayed. What do you think?
Old Apr 9, 2014, 10:03 pm

Cool places like the Hansar or the Met will cost 2X the Vie and the Muse during this sale. If the free plat is still out there, the OP will get an upgrade, breakfast, & lounge access (check the Accor threads). I haven't stayed at Muse, but Vie has an excellent pool (& gym). IIW the OP & there's no Plat available, I'd probably do the 2500B Marriott deal and wine and dine around Thonglor-Ekkamai. All the cutting edge new bars & restaurants are up there now. Marriott & Accor hardly fit the OP's "non western" requirement though.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
whackyjacky's comment in my thread referenced above seems to apply here:
Thanks - so ignoring the public facilities, you´d say the rooms and service are comparable to 4*-5* hotels?
Old Apr 10, 2014, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Haven't stayed there yet; I'll make up my mind between what's on private sale at Accor and Adelphi Suites this weekend since the sale ends soon and requires prepay (the stay is in late June). whackyjacky is my source.

Admittedly, Accor is a Western chain (though it's not a big one in the US), but that deal's pretty smashing compared to what even the local hotels offer- $75-80 a night for legit luxury hotels.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 11:38 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Thanks - so ignoring the public facilities, you´d say the rooms and service are comparable to 4*-5* hotels?
I'd say the rooms and service at Adelphi Suites are roughly comparable to that of the Radisson Suites on Suk 13 and the Radisson Park Plaza on Suk 18, both of which are 4* hotels. (I've stayed in all three.)
Old Apr 11, 2014, 4:09 am

Programs: Lufthansa FTL, HHonors Gold, Le Club Accorhotels Platinum
Maybe you take a look at The Eugenia or Chakrabongse Villas
Old Apr 11, 2014, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
I'd say the rooms and service at Adelphi Suites are roughly comparable to that of the Radisson Suites on Suk 13 and the Radisson Park Plaza on Suk 18, both of which are 4* hotels. (I've stayed in all three.)
I haven't stayed at Adelphi Suites, but I have stayed at the Adelphi Grande, Fraser Suites, S31, Shama Suites, Column, and 3 Centrepoints. I've also stayed at all the Carlson Properties (Raddisson, Park Plaza, & PP18) a lot. Despite the fact that I get upgraded at the Carlson's, I'd Much rather be at the others. I honestly don't know why the PP's get such high ratings on TA. Seems like they've got a team working the ratings to me.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 5:34 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
I haven't stayed at Adelphi Suites, but I have stayed at the Adelphi Grande, Fraser Suites, S31, Shama Suites, Column, and 3 Centrepoints. I've also stayed at all the Carlson Properties (Raddisson, Park Plaza, & PP18) a lot. Despite the fact that I get upgraded at the Carlson's, I'd Much rather be at the others. I honestly don't know why the PP's get such high ratings on TA. Seems like they've got a team working the ratings to me.
Yeah, I stay at the Carlson's a lot too and also get upgraded just about every time. I prefer the Radisson Suites on Suk13 of the three (although the new Radisson Blu looks like it will be nice.)

I'd prefer Adelphi Suites over any of them but I can usually get one of the Carlson properties for a better price than Adelphi Suites - throw in the massive amounts of points you earn when using a CC credit card at their properties and I end up at a Carlson property more often than not.
Old Apr 12, 2014, 12:05 am

I'd probably do the 2500B Marriott deal and wine and dine around Thonglor-Ekkamai.
Thank you all for your suggestions but as per quote, the Marriott 2500 ai was to hard to resist. Writing from pool side now, it is not the best I've visited and surely not what I asked you guys for but it is fair enough. I am usually not a Marriott guy but this place perhaps makes me reconsider at least on visits to BKK.

I visited a number of roof top bars in BKK but the three floor one here comes second to none. I much prefere the location then to be further up the road out of Nana reasons and yes whackyjacky there was indeed some chi chi dining to choose from in Thonglor-Ekkamai, ended up at Soul Food Mahanakorn at soi 55, perhaps not so chi chi but ooh so yummy.

Requested a late check out that was denied to my surprise as a non member (asking for 9:30 PM). As they asked 4600B for another night I went ahead and booked another one at 2500B ai and returned with mail voucher to reception

On the redeye to PEK with TG later so chilling out till then.

Once again thank you all and I'll for sure consider several of the proposed properties when returning to BKK.

/anbrand

Last edited by anbrand; Apr 12, 2014 at 3:45 am
Old Apr 12, 2014, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So... what's the 2500 THB Marriott deal?

ETA: oh, it's this:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22495624-post661.html

Sorry to find that it's 3300 THB on my dates.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Apr 12, 2014 at 4:19 pm
Old Apr 13, 2014, 2:18 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, UA, AS, DL, BA, F9, IHG Plat, HH Gold, CC Gold, SPG Gold, MR Silver
Originally Posted by anbrand
Thank you all for your suggestions but as per quote, the Marriott 2500 ai was to hard to resist. Writing from pool side now, it is not the best I've visited and surely not what I asked you guys for but it is fair enough. I am usually not a Marriott guy but this place perhaps makes me reconsider at least on visits to BKK.

I visited a number of roof top bars in BKK but the three floor one here comes second to none. I much prefere the location then to be further up the road out of Nana reasons and yes whackyjacky there was indeed some chi chi dining to choose from in Thonglor-Ekkamai, ended up at Soul Food Mahanakorn at soi 55, perhaps not so chi chi but ooh so yummy.

Requested a late check out that was denied to my surprise as a non member (asking for 9:30 PM). As they asked 4600B for another night I went ahead and booked another one at 2500B ai and returned with mail voucher to reception

On the redeye to PEK with TG later so chilling out till then.

Once again thank you all and I'll for sure consider several of the proposed properties when returning to BKK.

/anbrand
You're surprised they denied a 9:30pm c/o. You would not even get that with the highest elite status 99% of the time.

I like both CC properties as well and also the 4 Points (only 3-4000 pts, which is a steal for location and property). They are all near Nana and not far too from Soi Cowboy either...All are guest friendly as well, if that matters.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by skibum7732
You're surprised they denied a 9:30pm c/o. You would not even get that with the highest elite status 99% of the time.

I like both CC properties as well and also the 4 Points (only 3-4000 pts, which is a steal for location and property). They are all near Nana and not far too from Soi Cowboy either...All are guest friendly as well, if that matters.
So much for non-Western hotel discussion.

I've stayed at the 4P on Soi 15 pre cash and points devaluation, and Aloft on Soi 11 back when the Aloft was a Category 1 when it first came out.

I'm not sure I'd pick them over some of the serviced apartments I am seeing for $75-100 a night in the area, though, or a 4-5* Accor property at similar prices. It seems to me that if I wanted to spend cash on nonrefundable properties, I'd get more out of the Accor sale... and the serviced apartments are completely refundable and very solid properties if I am not looking for a full-service hotel (in other words, the Aloft/4P category). Don't have a SPG points balance worth anything (I cashed it out on a LM cash and points stay in Montreal pre-devaluation), so points are not an option.

I think I still find the non-Western chains to be better values at this point, barring the wildcards like the Accor sale...
Old Apr 13, 2014, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by skibum7732
Sorry, irony doesn't always come out right I guess...
Old Apr 13, 2014, 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
So much for non-Western hotel discussion.

I've stayed at the 4P on Soi 15 pre cash and points devaluation, and Aloft on Soi 11 back when the Aloft was a Category 1 when it first came out.

I'm not sure I'd pick them over some of the serviced apartments I am seeing for $75-100 a night in the area, though, or a 4-5* Accor property at similar prices. It seems to me that if I wanted to spend cash on nonrefundable properties, I'd get more out of the Accor sale... and the serviced apartments are completely refundable and very solid properties if I am not looking for a full-service hotel (in other words, the Aloft/4P category). Don't have a SPG points balance worth anything (I cashed it out on a LM cash and points stay in Montreal pre-devaluation), so points are not an option.

I think I still find the non-Western chains to be better values at this point, barring the wildcards like the Accor sale...
True dat. The FourPoints is aptly named - one should only stay there FOR POINTS. I like the place, but IMO, considering the competition, I wouldn't pay >2000B for it. Certainly not the 3000+ they're getting these days. For around the prices I'm seeing for the property, you can get the Sofitel, Grande Millennium or CP21, which are nearby and far superior.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 12:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

True dat. The FourPoints is aptly named - one should only stay there FOR POINTS. I like the place, but IMO, considering the competition, I wouldn't pay >2000B for it. Certainly not the 3000+ they're getting these days. For around the prices I'm seeing for the property, you can get the Sofitel, Grande Millennium or CP21, which are nearby and far superior.
Yeah, pretty much. Burning points for the 4P kinda makes sense, though that's, what, 3000 SPG for a weekend room night, so $1500 in SPG spend at base level, $1000 if you are Gold/Plat? A 10% rebate doesn't sound much better than hotels.com, which doesn't limit you to a 4P/Aloft...

This sort of reinforces my point that the Western chains are largely overpriced, except for various exceptions/discounts (like the 2500 THB Marriott/Latestays.com "Mystery hotel" sale or Accor's 40% off sales).

(I am noticing that the Sukhumvit Grand by Accor on Soi 6 is $150ish for 2 days for a 1BR suite prepaid on my dates. This may turn out to be the winner to go along with Accor Platinum...)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.