Search

Bangkok Hotels — General Advice and Discussion [consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2015, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by GurungBoi
Hmm.. i was looking up my itinerary and it states I'm going to be charged deposit of 2000 baht per night? dammmmmmmm I hope they refunded that quickly =/
Hah, good luck with that. It's one of many examples of how "cheap" accommodation isn't really that cheap in the long run.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by nkedel
For 3 weeks and possibly two, you probably do best with a serviced apartment, which can save you a lot compared to a nicer place and be nicer than backpacker-grade hotels.
They also might offer a long-stay discount -- you'd need to contact them directly.
Nkedel makes an excellent suggestion. I've stayed in service apts the last 7+ years, swapping btw Grand Centrepoint Ratchadamri and Oriental Residence. Neither are budget per se but I always get an excellent deal. Plus I prefer staying off the lower/mid Sukhumvit area.

But there are many good budget service apartments that include free wifi, bkfast, washer/dryer, full size fridge. You won't feel cramped and will enjoy much more than regular hotel.

Plus make sure you wheel and deal, 3 wks stay should get you a decent discount off the rack rate plus it's not yet high season until late Oct/early Nov.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 4:17 pm

Programs: NZ*S
Originally Posted by eastnortheast
You mention budget accommodations, but would probably be better to give an amount. Is budget up to 1000 baht/night? 3000? etc. The ones listed in the above posts are good choices for the up to 3000 baht/night range.
I don't have a price limit/budget as such, I'll spend whatever I need to be able to get a good night sleep and not roll out of bed in the morning with the feeling that I need a full body disinfecting

Originally Posted by dtsm
See my recent post, agoda.com filters with location/price, use map function to drill to specific locations and cross check with trip advisor.
I don't know enough about the various areas yet to know what a good location is. More research needed on my part, I was being lazy and hoping for an easy answer.

For 3 weeks and possibly two, you probably do best with a serviced apartment, which can save you a lot compared to a nicer place and be nicer than backpacker-grade hotels.

The cheapest decent hotel I'm familiar with is Majestic Suites, Sukhumvit by Soi 4. 1305 baht (net of taxes) per night for their least expensive room type, and surprisingly they do have 3 weeks open straight of that room class in late Oct/early Nov.

They also might offer a long-stay discount -- you'd need to contact them directly.

I'm sure there are less expensive secure places, both around the lower Sukhumvit tourist/expat ghetto, and around Khao San (which fails the test of easy transit connections though), and I'm sure plentiful places that don't tend to be where foreigners hang out.

Unless you found someplace that offered a long stay discount (which seems fairly likely), three weeks is that's long enough I'd want to switch hotels/neighborhoods at least once or twice; maybe even for two.
Good point, a change of scenery might be a good idea. I may just book a couple of days at Majestic to give my self time to get the lay of the land and wing it from there on.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by Kalboz
News to me and good news at that. I haven't bunked there in 3 or 4 years. Now I can book 'em during one of those Accor 50% off sales, + I'm plat with those guys.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 7:33 am

Originally Posted by SpannerSpinner
I don't have a price limit/budget as such, I'll spend whatever I need to be able to get a good night sleep and not roll out of bed in the morning with the feeling that I need a full body disinfecting
Then I would suggest Terminal 21 Centrepoint, right next to Asoke BTS. Excellent location, great new facility and reasonable price.
http://www.grandecentrepointterminal21.com/
Old Aug 20, 2015, 5:29 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by FoodieOnTour
The St.Regis just recently changed their laundry policy to 4/5 pcs. per day. Mentionable move I might say.
Great move! Might win more biz from me over SGS with it.
Now if only the LM would copy

btw, has anyone ever stayed at the DoubleTree near the Phrom Phong BTS? I'd like to explore Thong Lor neighborhood more next trip and thought this may be close enough to enjoy. I'll be Hilton Diamond by that trip and have no status with Marriott (which has a closer property to Thong Lo).

Last edited by TravelinSperry; Aug 20, 2015 at 5:36 pm
Old Aug 20, 2015, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Great move! Might win more biz from me over SGS with it.
Now if only the LM would copy

btw, has anyone ever stayed at the DoubleTree near the Phrom Phong BTS? I'd like to explore Thong Lor neighborhood more next trip and thought this may be close enough to enjoy. I'll be Hilton Diamond by that trip and have no status with Marriott (which has a closer property to Thong Lo).
I've stayed at the DT and Hilton quite a bit. Unless the prices are vastly different just stay at the Hilton. They are both owned and managed by the same group and are connected in back. Both can host buses of Chinese tour groups but the DT is the more likely one to do so. Hilton has a lounge.

There is a great little guaytiao place on Soi 26 just north of the DT. Choose the place on the corner, not the bigger one next door. They happen to serve exactly the same thing and are family, but apparently split at some point in the past. A bowl of deep fried fish skins are a good addition to any bowl of soup.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Then I would suggest Terminal 21 Centrepoint, right next to Asoke BTS. Excellent location, great new facility and reasonable price.
http://www.grandecentrepointterminal21.com/
It's a great location, although it's far from a budget place -- for "nice" hotel it's quite reasonable, but it's up around US$100 a night in November, vs about 1/3 that for budget places.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 3:55 am

It's a great location, although it's far from a budget place -- for "nice" hotel it's quite reasonable, but it's up around US$100 a night in November, vs about 1/3 that for budget places.
OP indicated he didn't have budget/limit per se, thus my suggestion.

For 2-3 wks he could also use airbnb but that takes a little bit of work and research (which he too hinted was 'lazy' to do)
Old Aug 21, 2015, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OP indicated he didn't have budget/limit per se, thus my suggestion.
I thought his implication about wanting someplace inexpensive was pretty clear; if you have to caveat that AC is required, that seems to me a pretty clear sign that your budget doesn't stretch to ~US$100/night places.

Hi all, after a few suggestions for budget accommodation in Bangkok for a first time visitor.
[...]
Travelling alone, and really just need somewhere with a clean comfy bed to get a decent nights sleep (ie, AC is required) and safely store my gear, preferably with reasonable transport connections.
For 2-3 wks he could also use airbnb but that takes a little bit of work and research (which he too hinted was 'lazy' to do)
How many airbnb places are going to have a in-room safe for camera gear?
Old Aug 21, 2015, 9:20 pm

Majestic Suites is a good option, but too much in the middle of Nana's madness IMO. Try another one of their hotels, Citi Chic on 13. It's way better and close to fun on Soi 11. Boss Suites, Ibis Nana, Darjeeling, Paradiso, and City Lodge should run you 1000 or less and are decent, clean 3* options as well.

Last edited by whackyjacky; Aug 21, 2015 at 9:29 pm
Old Aug 21, 2015, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by whackyjacky
Majestic Suites is a good option, but too much in the middle of Nana's madness IMO. Try another one of their hotels, Citi Chic on 13. It's way better and close to fun on Soi 11. Boss Suites, Ibis Nana, Darjeeling, Paradiso, and City Lodge should run you 1000 or less and are decent, clean 3* options as well.
Bit of a shlep up the soi, but not awful, and a bit newer/nicer inside; prices for Oct are also a bit better than I remember from the once I tried them out.
Old Aug 22, 2015, 2:59 am

Bit of a shlep up the soi, but not awful, and a bit newer/nicer inside; prices for Oct are also a bit better than I remember from the once I tried them out.
A long walk from Suk definitely. Can't get everything for 1000. I paid more like 1600 5 years ago. Short hop to most of the joints on 11 though.
Old Aug 22, 2015, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by whackyjacky
Majestic Suites is a good option, but too much in the middle of Nana's madness IMO.
That's why I personally stay away from any hotels around Nana BTS, it's a freakin zoo, albeit safe and lots of eye candy, LOL. Even Asoke has Soi Cowboy but it's slightly tamer area.

How many airbnb places are going to have a in-room safe for camera gear?
Same as the number of B1000 budget hotels -- doubt any of their room safes big enough for camera gear....
Old Aug 23, 2015, 2:55 am

Looking at 2-3 weeks in late October to early November.

Suggestions?
You should have a closer look at serviced apartments in the On-Nut area.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.