Wiki Posts
Search

Bangkok Hotels — General Advice and Discussion [consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2016, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by 2lovelife
Another interesting article about trendy spots in th Pra Ahtit district next to KSR,
http://bk.asia-city.com/nightlife/ba...o-phra-arthit?

This one is a Thai/Japanese themed spot.
I'm only occasionally in the Pra Athit area but there's been a huge upswing in establishments in the last 5 years. Perhaps that's most easily seen when only being there once or twice a year.
Old Jan 31, 2016, 8:47 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

I need some advice. I'll be in Bangkok in couple of months. Staying there two nights before continuing to Phuket. As I don't have status with any hotels anymore (just silver with Hilton) I was thinking about taking executive floor room in one of the Hilton properties.
These are the 3 hotels which offer that perk:
Millennium Hilton Bangkok
Conrad Bangkok
Hilton Sukhumvit Bangkok ++

The last hotel has the best points value for executive floor room. But I can take room in any of the 3 hotels. I'll be traveling with my gf and will spend only one full day in Bangkok (arriving very late at night on day 1 and departing around noon on day 3).
We will arrive at BKK airport, then two days later we will travel from Don Mueang airport to Phuket.
I've been to Bangkok few times, but always stayed on the east side of the suburbs (close to BKK airport). They have a lot of good street food stalls on the outskirts.
I've been to Khao San Road once (and that was enough), did few temples (including the Royal temple and Grand Palace). So for this visit in BKK I'm looking for some good eats and relaxing around the hotel.
Which hotel would you recommend?

Also, if there are hotels with executive floor privileges for around $100 a night, I can go for it. It doesn't have to be Hilton.

Thanks
Old Jan 31, 2016, 8:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Starwood points can be used to get lounge access at the Plaza Athenee and I suspect other Bangkok properties.

Note that you'll only use the lounge one evening and twice at breakfast, so implicitly you're paying for one evening reception (of two) when you'll still be on the plane. It might be more cost effective not to purchase lounge access.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Feb 3, 2016 at 7:26 pm Reason: typo
Old Jan 31, 2016, 8:56 pm

Programs: IHG Rewards Club - Platinum
I stayed at The Sukhothai during a visit to Thailand a little more than a year ago. Excellent service. The property has a resort feel even though it's in the middle of the city. Loved their breakfast!

Wrote about my stay here:
http://iwandered.net/2014/10/27/the-...-hotel-review/

Old Feb 1, 2016, 9:04 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist

Note that you'll only use the one evening and twice at breakfast, so implicitly you're paying for one evening reception (of two) when you'll still be on the plane. It might be more cost effective not to purchase lounge access.
When I think about it, you might be right. I would be wasting 40K points on one evening reception and two breakfasts. If I take regular rooms without the lounge access can save minimum of 40K hilton points.

Originally Posted by vogriphach
I stayed at The Sukhothai during a visit to Thailand a little more than a year ago. Excellent service. The property has a resort feel even though it's in the middle of the city. Loved their breakfast!
I've red your report about your stay at Sukhothai. You've got lucky with that upgrade That hotel looks good, but for my dates the cheapest rooms are in the range $150. That's little bit too much.

Thank you
Old Apr 18, 2016, 2:38 pm

Does anyone know if the walk from Conrad to the Grand Hyatt is do-able? It looks like it's a 15 minute walk and pretty straight forward/not too many turns so not too bad. I won't have any large luggage with me, just a small wheel carry on.
Old Apr 18, 2016, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ang2383
Does anyone know if the walk from Conrad to the Grand Hyatt is do-able? It looks like it's a 15 minute walk and pretty straight forward/not too many turns so not too bad. I won't have any large luggage with me, just a small wheel carry on.
It's doable but you'll need to factor in the state of the footpaths (bad), crossing Wireless/Witthayu, potential rain (we can only hope) and heat index. I think the highs this week will approach 40, and with the humidity it might feel like 46?

I think the Conrad/All Seasons Place have van which will at least get you to Sukhumvit. Then you could walk the rest of the way or take the BTS one stop to Chit Lom.

Personally I'd take a taxi.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK

Of course it's doable. Though hot, sweaty and awkward.

Unless you are scraping by on pocket money, take a taxi!!
Old Apr 19, 2016, 7:33 pm

Thanks transpac and ian. I was concerned with the sidewalks/safety factor.

Being from NYC, we walk everywhere and it's more of a hassle to take a cab when we can walk. Here you'll end up sitting in traffic to go a few blocks so people prefer to walk. I was thinking BKK might be similar in traffic pattern and it'll be better to walk. It looks like it's not advisable so uber it is!

Thank you for your input. Much appreciated ^
Old Apr 19, 2016, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by transpac
... crossing Wireless/Witthayu ...
IIRC there are elevated walkways across Wireless at the Ratchaprasong intersection, on both sides of Suk/Ploenchit.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 10:03 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer

Being from NYC, we walk everywhere and it's more of a hassle to take a cab when we can walk. Here you'll end up sitting in traffic to go a few blocks so people prefer to walk. I was thinking BKK might be similar in traffic pattern and it'll be better to walk. It looks like it's not advisable so uber it is!

Thank you for your input. Much appreciated ^
Depending on the time of day, and the moon and stars, Bangkok can be just as bad. I rarely ever take a taxi if I can walk it in 20 minutes or less, and it's not pouring rain.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 6:08 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
IIRC there are elevated walkways across Wireless at the Ratchaprasong intersection, on both sides of Suk/Ploenchit.
I think you would have to go through Embassy to get from wireless to Ratchaprasong via elevated walkways. Or maybe you could walk to Mercuryville (sp?) and then get above ground.

It looks like it's not advisable so uber it is!
Uber in BKK is awesome if you want to sit around for 20 minutes waiting for the driver to figure out how to get to you.

I'd go by taxi. Then again I'm typically in work attire.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Wireless isn't at Ratchprasong. That's Rachamri and Ploenchit. (Erawan Shrine)

Wireless and Ploenchit they have walkways but you go up a long stairway and it's not covered.

There are covered, elevated walkways at Ratchprasong. You can get from the west end of the Chitlom BTS to Ratchprasong and all the way to Siam Paragon. Includes covered entrances to Siam World and Gaysorn Plaza. Plus several hotels.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 9:40 pm

Thanks everyone for the additional feedback.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 1:07 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
Wireless isn't at Ratchprasong. That's Rachamri and Ploenchit. (Erawan Shrine)

Wireless and Ploenchit they have walkways but you go up a long stairway and it's not covered.

There are covered, elevated walkways at Ratchprasong. You can get from the west end of the Chitlom BTS to Ratchprasong and all the way to Siam Paragon. Includes covered entrances to Siam World and Gaysorn Plaza. Plus several hotels.
Everything is connected now one way or another. You can walk now from Phloen Chit to Siam Square without stepping a foot on street sidewalk.

From Phloen Chit BTS you can walk into Embassy Central --> Central Chitlom --> Chitlom BTS --> skywalk by CentralWorld (Ratchaprasong) --> Siam Square and BTS. All nice and shaded and some ACed (Embassy and Chitlom Central) but you have to pay to go through Chitlom BTS (THB 15?).

Last edited by Kalboz; Apr 21, 2016 at 11:15 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.