Bangkok Hotels — General Advice and Discussion [consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bangkok Hotels — General Advice and Discussion [consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2016, 2:55 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Klapsons The River Residences Bangkok

For those of us who are interested in staying a month at a time or longer but also want luxury and good location, the riverside properties near Saphan Taksin offer a great alternative to hotel stays not to mention value and freedom from hotel constraints. This is also good for families or group of friends traveling together.

An FT friend was very kind to invite me to go along to inspect/tour Klapsons Residences at the River property adjacent to the Peninsula Hotel on the Thomburi side of Bangkok. Located on the 23rd to 31st floors of the North Tower of The River Condominium, Klapsons The River Residences Bangkok offers a variety of serviced and private residences comprising of 69 units. Rates are for one month minimum rental period plus utilities. The units we inspected were elegantly furnished with kitchens stocked for comfortable stays. Monthly rates start from mid THB 50K for a one bedroom unit and higher rates for larger units. Utilities can be as high high as 5K Baht per month if you run the AC 24/7. Twice a week housekeeping is included in the monthly rate with extra charge if you require more frequency. The grounds are serene with plenty of greeneries and 5 swimming pools - separate pools for kids and adults. Location on the river near Saphan Taksin bridge with plenty of shopping and dining options nearby. The River property has its own boat to transport residents and visitors to hotel pier near the BTS. Every unit has a riverside view and the views are amazing.

Photo album of the tour can be found here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/kalboz...57667247599552

Old Apr 23, 2016, 3:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Wow, that place looks amazing. A month in a one bedroom unit for about ten times the cost of a room for a night in an upscale hotel sounds like a good deal for someone who will be in Bangkok for a fairly long time.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 2:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by ang2383
Thanks transpac and ian. I was concerned with the sidewalks/safety factor.

Being from NYC, we walk everywhere and it's more of a hassle to take a cab when we can walk. Here you'll end up sitting in traffic to go a few blocks so people prefer to walk. I was thinking BKK might be similar in traffic pattern and it'll be better to walk. It looks like it's not advisable so uber it is!
It's not that you can't, and certainly not that you shouldn't But sidewalks can be, errr, irregular and unfriendly to wheels. Plus the humidity will wipe out any air conditioned composure in a matter of minutes.

I'd happily walk much greater distances, but not transferring hotels with luggage, because (for me) that means carrying or wearing a jacket.

Why not suss it out with a dummy run, sans bags, the day before ...
Old Apr 25, 2016, 1:16 pm

Programs: AA MM (like it matters!) All of my flying was personal travel, and COVID-19 stopped that.
I knew you could walk from Chit Lom to Siam Square. That used to be one of my favorite morning walks, until my ankle developed arthritis. I didn't know it went all the way back to Phloen Chit.

I did walk from northernmost BTS station, to the next station south, some months ago. I was doing a navigation run, to find the hotel that hosted the monthly Radio Amateur Society of Thailand meeting. I didn't realize the two stations were 1.6 km apart...
Old Apr 25, 2016, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by zarkov505
I knew you could walk from Chit Lom to Siam Square. That used to be one of my favorite morning walks, until my ankle developed arthritis. I didn't know it went all the way back to Phloen Chit.
I've done that walk plenty of times too and beyond Siam Square. But not with bags. It's a nice and interesting walk.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 6:14 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by zarkov505
This is new since the opened Central Embassy. Previously you could on get as far as Central Chidlom.
Old May 1, 2016, 5:59 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Does anyone know from which hotel one could see the new Maha Nakohn building?
Old May 1, 2016, 7:30 am

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by TOMFORD
Does anyone know from which hotel one could see the new Maha Nakohn building?
MahaNakhon CUBE structure (future RC Residences & Edition Hotel Bangkok) is an 85-story skyscraper at Chong Nonsi BTS station, and, thus, visible from about every high floor hotel room provided that you are facing the appropriate side. The W Bangkok is next door!

Here are some photos of this skyscraper: https://www.flickr.com/photos/kalboz...57667334147266

MahaNakhon CUBE as seen from the Millennium Hilton pier

Among the planned features of the building are: 10,000 square metres (110,000 sq ft) of luxury retail space (MahaNakhon CUBE and MahaNakhon HILL Retail components); 200 Residences serviced by The Ritz-Carlton, which, with prices ranging from approximately 220,000 - 400,000+ baht per square meter, will be among the highest prices achieved for Thai luxury real estate, freehold or leasehold in Bangkok; the Bangkok Edition boutique hotel, with 159 rooms, to be operated by Ritz-Carlton which is part of Marriott International in collaboration with famed boutique hotel creator Ian Schrager; as well as a roof-top bar and observation deck. MahaNakhon will feature Thailand's first L'Atelier de Joël Robuchon (Bangkok).

Last edited by Kalboz; May 1, 2016 at 7:38 am
Old May 1, 2016, 9:47 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by Kalboz
MahaNakhon CUBE structure (future RC Residences & Edition Hotel Bangkok) is an 85-story skyscraper at Chong Nonsi BTS station, and, thus, visible from about every high floor hotel room provided that you are facing the appropriate side. The W Bangkok is next door!

Here are some photos of this skyscraper: https://www.flickr.com/photos/kalboz...57667334147266

MahaNakhon CUBE as seen from the Millennium Hilton pier
Noticed it last week when walking between meetings. Didn't realize it was something new. Nice to see an Edition going in there.
Old May 1, 2016, 10:02 am
Accor Contributor Badge

I was looking at W photos on TripAdvisor before and didn't see any of Maha Nakorn, so I thought maybe it's blocked by something. This is my picture, see how the W is at least partially blocked by a building? Even if the W has a view of Maha Nakorn, it would be too close, so I would imagine something on the other side of the BTS would have a better view.

Old May 1, 2016, 10:38 am

I was looking at W photos on TripAdvisor before and didn't see any of Maha Nakorn, so I thought maybe it's blocked by something. This is my picture, see how the W is at least partially blocked by a building? Even if the W has a view of Maha Nakorn, it would be too close, so I would imagine something on the other side of the BTS would have a better view.

I'd venture and say that the Banyan Tree & Sofitel So in Sathorn has a good view of the structure in addition to maybe Le Meridien and Sofitel Bangkok in Silom.

Old May 1, 2016, 12:27 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

If the one with the Le Meridien cup is from LM, then it seems that's the perfect distance to view Maha Nakhon from. Thanks!
Old May 1, 2016, 1:03 pm

Programs: AA explt, 5 million miler
My condo is about 4 blocks away. I have a roof top pool that I sit by every day and have been watching them built this place. For the last couple of months they have had 2 cranes on the roof and been working long hours. They appear to want to get it finished sooner rather than later.
There has been a lot of new construction in this area that has been sending property prices thru the roof.
Old May 1, 2016, 5:02 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

One more hotel question... I am looking for a hotel, preferably in the Sukhumvit area (if not, then anywhere along the BTS, if not then subway station also works), that has a two-bed suite, but not a two-bedroom suite, and nothing too big. Since I'm going with kids, I'm afraid stuff will get lost in big suites. I hope to stay under $400/night. Any recommendations? Cheaper is better, but not too cheap. If yall got nothing I will book the Peninsula grand balcony room (425sqft) or deluxe suite (797sqft).
Old May 1, 2016, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
One more hotel question... I am looking for a hotel, preferably in the Sukhumvit area (if not, then anywhere along the BTS, if not then subway station also works), that has a two-bed suite, but not a two-bedroom suite, and nothing too big. Since I'm going with kids, I'm afraid stuff will get lost in big suites. I hope to stay under $400/night. Any recommendations? Cheaper is better, but not too cheap. If yall got nothing I will book the Peninsula grand balcony room (425sqft) or deluxe suite (797sqft).
Wouldn't the Peninsula be over $400?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.